• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek: Nemesis - Recut

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
original film name: Star Trek Nemesis
new film name: Star Trek Nemesis - Recut
film studio name: Paramount
edit crew name: El Diablo Suizo (Formerly Banded Justice)
Date Original Film Was Released: December 2002
Original Runtime: 116 minutes
New Runtime: 82 minutes
Amount of time cut/added: 34 minutes

Intention: Star Trek: Nemesis falls into the trap of all of the Next Generation movies, which is trying to ape the formula of previous, more successful films. But, with an villain with inconsistent motives, a director more interested in action beats than actual character, and a cast/crew behind the scenes that had lost perspective of what makes Trek great, they made a lackluster send-off for the crew of the Enterprise-E.

I'm not saying this version of Nemesis will make the film the be-all, end-all version, but this should relieve the viewer of terrible attempts at humor, as well as trying to focus Shinzon's motives and cut as many redundant action scenes as possible.

Cuts removed/added/extended:
-Removed Romulan Senate scene at the beginning.
-Trimmed wedding scene.
-Trimmed discussion about how Picard was itching to try the Argo. Now they just go down to the planet in a shuttle.
-Cut car chase.
-Removed exposition scene about how they don't know anything about Shinzon. It does nothing for plot progression or character.
-Trimmed Shinzon's entrance.
-Cut Commander Donatra.
-Re-purposed Shinzon's motives. Instead of being all over the place and questioning his origins of Picard-ness, he does everything to further the glory of the Remans (or so I hope).
-Cut "Move, puny animal!" scene.
-Cut a LOT of space battle.
-Cut "Blue skies" from the end of the movie.
-Many trims of redundant information and attempts at humor.

I hope you all enjoy my first attempt at serious fanediting!

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to watch it! Hopefully it will be made available soon ;)

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
is this firstling already available on the .info site?

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
is Wil Wheaton's 3 seconds of screentime at the wedding going to be included? :)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will Wheaton is awesome. Haven't you seen him in The Big Bang Theory? Awesome.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol :grin: I am sorry to upset you Wheaton fans. No; I haven't seen the Big Bang Theory, so I shall take your word for it, but I did not like him much in TNG, I am afraid.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
no matter how you feel about wheaton, you'll love the episode

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
lol :grin: I am sorry to upset you Wheaton fans. No; I haven't seen the Big Bang Theory, so I shall take your word for it, but I did not like him much in TNG, I am afraid.
Neither does he. :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heh, I was going to post that once I had a chance to watch it.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just read flyboy707's review and he made the following comment at the end: "After thought: maybe this movie could be much better served/improved as an "episode" edit. What I mean is, maybe editing this like the "In Thy Own Image" or "V'Ger" edits. Throw in TNG original sound effects, music, scenes etc. Just a thought."

Yes/no? :wink: I like the idea. It certainly worked for Star Trek V (with "In Thy Image"), which flyboy likened Nemesis to.

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a possibility, but not right now. I do give free permission to anyone that might be interested in stealing it for their own purposes, though, just so long as I get a big "Thank you." You know, because I like to hog a lot of the credit.

jelio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey i just watched your edit this weekend and i really enjoyed it (i rated it 9/10)

I was surprised that i enjoyed the shorter space battle because in the theater it was something i remembered enjoying ... also i at first didnt even realize that you removed the broken auto destruct part. What happened to the elevator mind rape scene?? Why cut it?

--------------

Here are some things i noticed that i would want in a future version,
that is if you ever make an update:

I would have cut the short instant of seeing picard smiling at the begingin of the argo ride. Otherwise you cut the scene very very well. (its just that it reminds me too much of the way the scene was originally cut)

Couldnt you remove Rikers fight with the reman on the enterprise? for example after he gets sent to take care of the boarding party, just show the shoot out in the hallway (minus the leap into the jeffry tube), and thats all we see of it, then later he returns to the bridge and its assumed he took care of business. could that work?

Could you tone down the scene of picard shooting everyone on the scimitar bridge? maybe have him only shoot 2 remans and break his gun on another. because the way its cut he like shoots maybe 6 guys ... or at least it seems that way ... what is he rambo?

finally the scene with picard and B4 at the end it would really be nice if you added in the audio of data from encounter at farpoint where he is whistling in the holodeck. This works because it was referenced by riker just before, and i think it would work extremely well ... and be much better than muted singing of blue skies.

------

anyways again just wanted to say great work and thanks!!

Keep the fanedits coming,
ill be watching

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jelio said:
Hey i just watched your edit this weekend and i really enjoyed it (i rated it 9/10)

Thanks!

jelio said:
What happened to the elevator mind rape scene?? Why cut it?

That was never in the movie. That was in the deleted scenes. Plus, it would've been redundant in my opinion. We already know Shinzon's the bad guy because the production designers sure made the effort to make evil looking stuff around him.

jelio said:
I would have cut the short instant of seeing picard smiling at the begingin of the argo ride. Otherwise you cut the scene very very well.

I could agree with that. I could go on some rant about how it reinforces character and emotion, which I do believe, but it also makes sense without it.

jelio said:
Couldnt you remove Rikers fight with the reman on the enterprise? ... just show the shoot out in the hallway...then later he returns to the bridge and its assumed he took care of business.

I originally cut the whole thing. It is an unnecessary scene. However, the problem lies in making Riker an inactive character. He's dispatched to take care of something so serious, only the first officer can go take care of it [yes, RedLetterMedia talked about how ridiculous it is, but we're forced to go with it]. If you take it out, it makes Riker a non-entity in this climax. If he's such an important character, why does he leave and we never see him?

Additionally, if you leave just the hallway scene in, there has to be some kind of climax in there for it to have any real emotional meat. You can't just cut to it, it has to have some stakes. By just showing it, it does give Riker a little bit of activity, but there's not a satisfying resolution to this thread. It would just end.

If I was the screenwriter, I would have done it another way. But I only had what footage was there, so I utilized it to make as satisfying a thread as that superfluous action with Riker can be and still have him seem like an active participant.

jelio said:
Could you tone down the scene of picard shooting everyone on the scimitar bridge? maybe have him only shoot 2 remans and break his gun on another... what is he rambo?

Yes. Yes, he is Rambo. That's who Picard was patterned after when Roddenberry conceived TNG, a grizzled Vietnam veteran who wanted to win. And Beverly was Colonel Trautman. Right? Right?

I'm kidding. Please know I'm kidding.

I totally agree with you on the action beat. I give full permission to anyone who wants to steal my ideas in order to make a better movie, which is what you should do.

jelio said:
...it would really be nice if you added in the audio of data from encounter at farpoint where he is whistling in the holodeck. This works because it was referenced by riker just before, and i think it would work extremely well ... and be much better than muted singing of blue skies.

Are you saying that B-4 should be whistling Pop Goes the Weasel or just adding the whistling as a flashback-type audio?

Either way, I don't think either one is a good idea. I'm not a fan of culling other materials from other films, T.V. series, what have you, for another film. It just doesn't feel right. Granted, I could be re-editing something down the line and steal whole episodes of Miami Vice for my edit of Pirates of the Caribbean featuring 100% more Don Johnson, and this would make me a hypocrite, but, at this juncture I don't like it.

Additionally, without the audio, it ends the film on a much more somber note. Akin to Star Trek II, but without ripping it off, Picard is on a completely new journey much like Kirk. Data is DEAD. But, looking at B-4, there are new possibilities, new adventures, and, more importantly, a new family. Picard is forced to change. It's not, "Picard is forced to deal with life-altering change, but not entirely 'cause Data's still alive," it's, "Picard is forced to deal with life-altering change," which is a stronger statement. And Picard dealt with it. And he's still there. And he's happy for new adventures.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

Top Bottom