• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Judas Breed - by TMBTM

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Judas Breed by TMBTM

thejudasbreed3dview.jpg

Mimic is an okay movie from a great director.
The story suffers from some obvious déja-vu feeling (Jurassic Park, Aliens...) but is descent enough to be entertaining.
The directing is nice but the movie is too scattered for my taste.
Always switching from scenes to scenes, letting the audience in the middle of plenty of little average cliffhangers.
In other words, the movie drags a lot.
Add to this a music score that always ends EACH scenes on a high note, in order to create a tension that is just not there
and you end with a movie that has all the elements to be great but makes you cringe too many times.
I tried to cut and reorganized scenes to make, hopefuly, a better progression of the story,

I'm not saying my edit removes all the flaws of the original, but it is a version I personally prefer to watch.

[youtube:2djk1hwv]

Some separate scenes are now joined in order to really follow the characters in their actions.
A scene set in the midle of the movie is now put near the begining for better characters exposition.
Several scenes are not presented in the same order of events of the original.
Number of completely deleted scenes: 6
heavily shortened scenes: 3
(See details on the cutlist bellow)

numbers of small cuts removing few seconds all along the movie: about 30
This edit also has:
- a time reversed shot,
- an extended (looped) shot,
- a shot taken from one of my deleted scenes.
- removed voices etc...

The entire movie has been cropped, pan and scanned in order to have a 2:35:1 aspect ratio,
Some new camera movement added for the audience to see everything needed
(plus a little camera shake added when a Judas appears from the ground. That shot can be seen in the Trailer of the edit)
The color has been desaturated a bit, both in order to bring some, I don't know, "70's classic feel" to the movie..

CUTLIST
[spoiler:2djk1hwv]Of a total of 50 scenes, here is the new order of my edit:

3-4-5-6-23-8-7-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-24-28-21-25-26-27-29-30-
32-33-34-35-37-39-36-38-40-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-49

Complete deleted scenes:
1-2-20-22-31-50
- 1: The opening credit (some shots now used for the main animated menu of the DVD)
- 2: Suzan and peter at the hospital.
-20: Suzan meets the doctot at the libraryRemy
-22: Chuy meeting the Judases at night.
-31: Remyand the doctor practicing autopsy of a baby Judas
-50: Happy ending.

Heavily shortened scenes: 12-23-33[/spoiler:2djk1hwv]

A very short review of TMBTM's Judas Breed.

All in all, TMBTM did what he set out to do: create a fun, enjoyable big bug film.

7/10

C'mon guys, don't post something on the main page without there being links on fanedit.info. That's cruel and unusual punishment :p

jamiemark said:
C'mon guys, don't post something on the main page without there being links on fanedit.info. That's cruel and unusual punishment :p
It is on fanedit.info. Search for "J" not "T"

EDIT: sorry, but the main page -with covert arts- was not upadated, even thought the edit can be found on INFO.

Didnt know insects had lion roars :D

TMBTM said:
The entire movie has been cropped, pan and scanned in order to have a 2:35:1 aspect ratio,

May I ask how you accomplished this feat, TMBTM? Did you really pan and scan the film scene by scene? I do not know of a program that can do this easily, so it must have been painstaking work.

Captain Khajiit said:
TMBTM said:

May I ask how you accomplished this feat, TMBTM? Did you really pan and scan the film scene by scene? I do not know of a program that can do this easily, so it must have been painstaking work.
It's an incredible feat: to pan & scan the entire film and still have it at an AR of 2:35:1!
sacrebleu! :-?

I meant I turned the 1.85 : 1 AR into a 2:35:1.

And yes, scene by scene, almost shot by shot.
So maybe I did not use the right words, but to me it's pan (moved the picture, and sometime add little camera movement), and scan (crop the picture) (?)

TMBTM said:
I meant I turned the 1.85 : 1 AR into a 2:35:1.

And yes, scene by scene, almost shot by shot.
So maybe I did not use the right words, but to me it's pan (moved the picture, and sometime add little camera movement), and scan (crop the picture) (?)

That's just what I thought you meant. You used exactly the right words, in my opinion.

Scene by scene! That's a great deal of work. Which program did you use? Vegas?

No, in english "pan & scan" means something else.
It' the process of reformatting a widescreen image say like the movie BEN HUR to fit into a 4:3 tv and compensate for wide screen composition.

what you actually did was, you "reformatted the AR to 2:35:01"

killbillme said:

Oh, ok, I'll update the fanedit page with this. Should be more accurate.

killbillme said:
It' the process of reformatting a widescreen image say like the movie BEN HUR to fit into a 4:3 tv and compensate for wide screen composition.

I agree that the term pan and scan originally referred to 4:3 presentations, but the term is used to do what TMBTM did i.e. move the picture within the frame. HDTV broadcasts that are shown open matte in 1.78:1 sometimes show a degree of pan and scanning. Apocalypse Now had the same thing done when it was changed to 2.0:1. I don't think it's incorrect to use the term in this way. It's clearly the same process.

Captain Khajiit said:
killbillme said:

I agree that the term pan and scan originally referred to 4:3 presentations, but the term is used to do what TMBTM did i.e. move the picture within the frame. HDTV broadcasts that are shown open matte in 1.78:1 sometimes show a degree of pan and scanning. Apocalypse Now had the same thing done when it was changed to 2.0:1. I don't think it's incorrect to use the term in this way. It's clearly the same process.
sure but do we really want to base our terminology on the exceptions rather than on the 99% of the ones that give the traditional meaning? :)

And as far as I know, there's no pan & scan for theatrical presentations. it's meant mainly for films reformatted for tv broadcast presentations. So unless this is the tv broadcast presentation of THE JUDAS BREED, it doesn't quite make sense. :smile:

killbillme said:
sure but do we really want to base our terminology on the exceptions rather than on the 99% of the ones that give the traditional meaning? :)

I understand what you're saying, my friend, but I would argue that I am not basing the terminology on the exceptions or the traditional examples, but on the process itself.

And as far as I know, there's no pan & scan for film presentations. it's meant mainly for films reformatted for tv presentations. So unless this is the tv presentation of THE JUDAS BREED, it doesn't quite make sense. :smile:

I don't quite follow the logic here. There's no pan and scan in movie theaters, if that's what you mean, but all DVDs are surely intended for TV viewing. What's the distinction?

I guess it's just a difference of opinion. :) It seems to me that TMBTM described how he reformatted the image to 2.35:1 perfectly, and I would have written the same. After all he could have reformatted for 2.35:1 by just cropping new black bars over the original image - as some OAR enthusiasts have been known to do to open matte presentations - but he didn't: he panned and scanned. How else do you phrase it to make this distinction clear?

EDIT: We should have a tavern subforum for this kind of "brawling". It's great fun! :smile:

Just to be pedantic, "pan and scan" only refers to when the picture is moved horizontally, i.e. a pan, which is done when converting widescreen to 4:3. A vertical movement, which I guess is what TMBTM has done when converting 16:9 to 2.35:1, is a tilt. So I suppose what TMBTM has done could more accurately be called "tilt and scan".

That's a good point, but I guess he would have picked a fixed vertical position for each shot and then panned, much like was done on the original negative. Vertical movement within shot would look odd, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Ah, I see! You meant that if the vertical position differed for each shot the scan would be tilting throughout the film. My mistake!

Captain Khajiit said:
That's a good point, but I guess he would have picked a fixed vertical position for each shot and then panned.
There wouldn't really be any need for that, since the width of the picture is the same whether it's 16:9 or 2.35:1.

Captain Khajiit said:
Vertical movement within shot would look odd, wouldn't it?
Well, that depends entirely on the shot, doesn't it? Since quite a bit of detail is lost when converting from 16:9 to 2.35:1, it might be necessary to show some of the lost detail by tilting the shot.

Captain Khajiit said:
Ah, I see! You meant that if the vertical position differed for each shot the scan would be tilting throughout the film.
Nope, that would just be cropping/scanning. Pan/tilt refers specifically to camera movement within a shot.

Captain Khajiit said:
killbillme said:
And as far as I know, there's no pan & scan for film presentations. it's meant mainly for films reformatted for tv presentations. So unless this is the tv presentation of THE JUDAS BREED, it doesn't quite make sense. :smile:

I don't quite follow the logic here. There's no pan and scan in movie theaters, if that's what you mean, but all DVDs are surely intended for TV viewing. What's the distinction?
The distinction is that pan & scan presentations are FULL FRAME.
dvd releases are formatted for the proper ratio used in the theatrical presentation.
I will have Uncle Sydney tell you about it:

[youtube:1gxygd6h]

The only thing you didn't see is the actual panning involved when doing a pan & scan.
someone arbitrarily creates camera moves to compensate for the cropped image.

[youtube:1gxygd6h]

Back
Top Bottom