• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Cutting, not lifting files (Auto-Ripple)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been tinkering around with Vegas, and for my life that I can't find a way to do something very basic: cutting a file. Yes, cutting it as opposed to just lifting the undesired part leaving an empty gap in its place, so you have to drag and drop everything else. Heck, even Windows Movie Maker does this right, so Vegas has to!

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Do you mean when you make a cut, and delete a part, everything shifts back to the left? Can you be more detailed with your question?

Okay, imagine these numbers are frames: "123456". I want to delete "234". In every other editing program I've encountered, it was rather easy and basic to choose between resulting in "156" or "1___56". So far, I have only ben able to do the latter in Vegas, and I'd have to manually drag "56" to the left. What I want to know is how to directly get "156". Don't know if I've made myself clear... :-?

Gotcha. Well, that isn't automatically turned on, because that isn't what a lot of people want as a default. It's quite easy to turn on though. What you're referring to is called "Auto Ripple" There is a button on the top bar of Vegas, that lets you choose a few options for this (see image below). From what you are describing, it sounds like you want "All Tracks, Markers and Regions"

VegasAutoRipple.jpg

Thanks a lot, Throw! :grin: I wonder why is that option so "hidden", given that it's one of the most common and basic ones for editing.

lol, hidden... :lol: :lol:

I suppose they could have made it a little more obvious. Perhaps this would have helped:
ButtonRedWM1.gif

ThrowgnCpr said:
lol, hidden... :lol: :lol:

I suppose they could have made it a little more obvious. Perhaps this would have helped:
ButtonRedWM1.gif
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What I meant, that option in most programs is either next to the timeline or it appears as a choice when you rightclick on the clip. But okay, I asked for it! :razz:

Umm....discovering this made my second round of revisions soooo much easier. Cheers Throw! :D

no problem guys. Its good to be familiar with this button. I am constantly turning it off and on. Often I don't want to move all tracks, especially when editing in true 5.1 surround, or mixing sources. I need to move things around different ways a lot.

yes, be mindful as it sometimes will throw off your sync.
i always turn it on/off.

I've never used the function. I find it just gets in my way. I prefer to move stuff over manually when I'm ready.

Kevinicus said:
I've never used the function. I find it just gets in my way. I prefer to move stuff over manually when I'm ready.
Yeah, same here. I found Auto Ripple a real pain. IMO, it's much better to create groups - so if you have 123456 and want to cut 3, I'd cut 3 and then put 4,5 and 6 in a group and move them over to where 2 ends. If you catch my drift.

Back
Top Bottom