• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why on earth would directing The Hobbit take six years?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Why on earth would directing The Hobbit take six years?

Well, shooting the movie would not take 6 years, BUT it is a two parts movie.
When you add the (at least 1 year, maybe 2) postproduction and the ( months) promotion for each movies,
the whole run can pretty much stand easily at least 5 years.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Guillermo Del Toro will not direct The Hobbit...

**** indeed! Del Toro was the only one I trusted to do a proper job directing The Hobbit, apart from Jackson himself. Now I shall have to hope Jackson takes over, after all. That film almost seems cursed somehow.

Bad or not, thank you for the news, TMBTM.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still don't buy that it would take anything close to six years. Not even the twelve hours plus filmed for LOTR took that long combined, post included. The post-production would be quite a lot quicker now in addition to the filmmakers being able to draw on the LOTR films. It doesn't add up in my ears. Del Toro is probably exaggerating to rationalise his choice, or he's adding in an estimate of the time it would take for the MGM situation to clear up.

Totally unrelated rant: the pedestrian career developments of most directors working today annoy me. What happened to making two or three films a year (like Robert Altman or R.W. Fassbinder)? Those kinds of people probably work in TV now. On the first season of Twin Peaks, they averaged an episode a week in filming. On the second, sometimes more. Lost has also had similar schedules, even with all that location shooting. And these are quality productions we're talking about here. (end of rant)

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not a huge fan of Del Toro, so it's not a big loss for me. I'd definitely rather have Jackson do it, but doubt that he will. I just hope it's someone decent.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kevinicus said:
I'd definitely rather have Jackson do it, but doubt that he will. I just hope it's someone decent.

I agree. Whom do you see as a decent candidate for the job?

jelio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Although i feel GDT would have done a great job on the Hobbit, as a fan of GDT's work i personally would prefer him doing other stuff and more stuff rather than be tied down for years and years on this one project

jelio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh no not michael bay!

I hope youre kidding reave

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Kevinicus said:
I'd definitely rather have Jackson do it, but doubt that he will. I just hope it's someone decent.

I agree. Whom do you see as a decent candidate for the job?

That's difficult to say. There aren't a lot of people who have really worked on that particular genre (at least on this scale). Jackson we know can handle it. Maybe Alphonso Cuaron or Neil Blomkamp off the top of my head.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. Alfonso Cuaron
2. Peter J
3. Stephen Sommers (no, really - just because he's been making crap paycheck movies doesn't mean he hasn't got the stuff. Besides, the script and other pre-production details are mostly locked in anyhow)
4. Jonathan Frakes (dude needs the work)
5. Chris Weitz

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
4. Jonathan Frakes (dude needs the work)

:lol:

Alfonso Cuarón perhaps sounds like the best bet so far.

Andrew Adamson?

jelio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mel Gibson?

He could have bilbo play jesus and gollum can be judas!

oh and the 3 trolls can be the wise men

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mel Gibson?

yes!!! and all the protagonists could speak in real languages from middleearth! this time without subtitles! those who are too lazy to learn those languages don´t deserve to understand the movies...

oh and there´s gonna be boatloads of blood!

my choice: jean pierre jeunet!

he could roll out his weird kind of humor all over the place...

:)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jackson talked with Dominion Post about the possibility of directing:

"If that's what I have to do to protect Warner Bros' investment, then obviously that's one angle which I'll explore," he said. But stepping in as director would be difficult as he had signed writer and director contracts with Hollywood studios for two other films, with one likely to begin next year. "The other studios may not let me out of the contracts."

Jackson said November was now the earliest start date for shooting, but it depended on finding the right director. "I just don't know now until we get a new director. The key thing is that we don't intend to shut the project down.

"We don't intend to let this affect the progress. Everybody, including the studio, wants to see things carry on as per normal. The idea is to make it as smooth a transition as we can."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/fi ... ect-Hobbit

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Martin Freeman Confirmed As Bilbo
45535.jpg

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29275

Top Bottom