• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Adjustment Bureau

Yeah, I dunno the episode I saw, but the trailer totally screams "You remember this story, done briefly, and in black & white, back in the '60s - on The Twilight Zone!"

I thought it was okay. Kind of interesting concept that really falls apart if you think about it. Especially how it's portrayed in this movie. Damon and especially Blunt do solid work, but the film's logic problems, bits that drag, and a terribly weak ending make it not worth much more than a rental.

Once I heard the phrase "Romantic Thriller", I was put off. Mind you, "Hereafter" was pretty good.

Well, The Box was a remake of that episode. Whether The Adjustment Bureau is also a remake is unknown to myself.

Saw this yesterday, I thought it was really, really good. I look at every movie I see from a filmmaking/editing point of view, and I always have criticisms. This one I couldn't really think of anything that wasn't done very well. It's elevated from over blown twilight episode to great movie by the fantastic performances throughout. Matt Damon is one of the best actors we have and is operating at the top of his game. His chemistry with Emily Blunt is really incredible, and you can totally understand why he would risk everything for her.

It's not an action packed movie, but as thought provoking, low-key sci-fi it works really well.

I saw the movie last night and it was NOT science fiction.

Science has nothing to do with this. This was a fantasy movie plain and simple.

It apparently is based on a Philip K Dick story.

I liked it, but I also thought it was a 7 out of 10 and could easily have been a better film.

Here are some editing ideas I would use to make this a better movie:
I found that the techno bable that the adjustment bureau would use was not convincing.
Telling us that there is a "chairman" that writes our fates is not needed.
I feel the story would be better with the audience having more questions than answers.
Therefore i would trim out lots and lots of the explaining by the bureau people to Matt Damon.
I would remove the corny line about saying "people have called us angels in the past"
and also the conversation about the dark ages and ww1 and the depression and ww2 and cuban missile crisis.

If i was able the writer of the film i would have made the importance of Matt Damon future presidency more clear.
For example in the terminator movies we all know that John Conner is important because he is the rebel leader against the machine army.
In this movie we have no idea what is so important about having Matt become president other than "its important"

Perhaps by throwing in a few nuclear disaster montages in the movie we can give the impresion to the viewer that Matt Damon is needed as president to avoid that future

Haha, I loved Terrance Stamps "Dark ages" speech. One of my favorite parts of the movie.

I do dislike how much they explained the Bureau though. I'm alright with there being a charimen, and a plan, but lets leave it at that.

I hear an edit being considered & plotted here...
But seriously, why does every man wear the brimmed hat?

Interesting takedown of the movie here. Why couldn't the chick have looked him up at some point?

I imagine because she felt he didn't want to talk to her if he didn't bother to show up when he said.

My main issue with the film is that the Bureau is incompetent. Supposedly they're this great force in the world that has kept us from destroying ourselves, but they're a bunch of bumbling fools. They don't know why they're doing what they're doing, their plans change, indicating that their is no great knowledge behind them meaning they don't really have any business doing what they're doing. Basically just some fucktards with warp hats and some manipulation abilities (which they also suck at using well). The whole concept of the movie falls apart when you think about it.

That and the ending is extremely weak.

saw this the other night, and very much enjoyed it. and i very much enjoyed the box as well. love low key sci-fi (or whatever you choose to call it)
8/10

Reviving this old thread as I've never heard many people talk about this movie.  I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected, so was happy to see a discussion.

It does seem like a remarkably similar premise to that Twilight Zone episode, as veggieguy12 suggested, but you have to wonder who was inspired by who?  The original short story that episode was based off was written by Theodore Sturgeon, a sci-fi writer mostly known for Star Trek in the '60s.  However, Philip K. Dick wrote his original short story in '54.  Parallel thinking?  Or was Dick ripped off?  :sick:

In any case, the film goes much much further in developing the world and asking philosophical questions.  Ultimately, it's about destiny versus free will, and I actually love that they find a way to incorporate ideas and mechanics that would work for both atheists and a theistic point of view on these things.  And unlike Interstellar, it made me believe that 'love finds a way' wasn't just some cheesy deus ex machina.

Yes, the ending may have been a bit too neat, but I found it to be earned.  The couple's growing understanding of their situation and continual re-discovery of and re-commitment to each other works as a great metaphor for marriage or any long-term relationship.  I bought the message that "we have no fate but what we make", and I liked how it was balanced with a kind of fatalism like "God protects those who lock their doors".

It's a rich movie to dive into, but presented as a Hollywood thriller.  Dick has been blessed to receive several films that got similar treatment, like The Minority Report, Total Recall, and Blade Runner.  Adjustment Bureau isn't quite on that level, but I'd urge anyone who wasn't so keen on it to give it a re-watch.

Back
Top Bottom