• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Compression in Final Cut?

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I'm trying to track down the source of some pixelation/compression in my current project. There are a handful of scenes with heavy red backgrounds

I have created two different rips, one via MTR, and one via OSEx.
- Both rips when burned right back to DVD (via Toast) look like the original movie.
- Both rips when opened in MPEG Streamclip look good in the preview. When exported through Stream Clip as QT files (max quality) the resulting QT file looks fairly good with slight compression visible in the reds
- When imported into FCP, the slight compression seen in the QT files is now really blown out. I've included images below:

Original movie
tpm-orig.jpg

QT exported via MPEG Streamclip
tpm_qt.jpg

Image in FCP Canvas
tpm_fcp.jpg

The image as seen in the Canvas is about how it looks on a computer monitor. On a large screen TV the pixelation smooths out some, but the loss of detail is definitely there.

Does anyone have a clue as to why/how this is happening, or what settings I might need to check or change?

Thanks!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Before sending it to compressor I'd suggest rendering out everything in FCP first to ensure everything is rendered properly.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wish I had a useful response, but all I can think of is how handsome Ric is looking.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I wish I had a useful response, but all I can think of his how handsome Ric is looking.

He does have a certain gleam in his eye doesn't he? I'm fairly certain he's on the cusp of a major observation...

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i am still learning, so forgive me if this is a ignorant question, but have you checked your interlacing/de-interlacing options on exporting the video? i see a bit of pixelation on the exported video. i have found it helpful in my exporting.

Top Bottom