• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Airbender

Since it's an M. Night Shyamalan movie, I'm not interested. His movies are crap, I only enjoyed the Sixth Sense. Just my honest opinion.

...but do this look like Shyamalan's movie?

The movie has premiered in many theatres across the country already, though I have no intention of seeing it. I'm boycotting the film due to its unfair casting practices and clear discrimination against minorities and people of color in roles that were specifically designed for Asian characters.

Other than that, early reviews hint that the writing is pretty bad and the acting is stiff and monotonous. Reason enough to not want to see this. However, anyone else intend to go for it anyways?

Redstar said:
Other than that, early reviews hint that the writing is pretty bad and the acting is stiff and monotonous. Reason enough to not want to see this. However, anyone else intend to go for it anyways?
Not me.... I'm a huge fan of the cartoon series (Seasons 1 and 2 were flat out excellent... Season 3? Eh, not as much, but the finale was pretty damn awesome), but I really have no desire whatsoever to see these characters represented in live-action, nor sit through a 2-hour movie that's just a truncated version of the 8-hour Season 1 tv series.

(and is it just me or does the kid playing Aang in the movie sound rather off? The first time I heard his speaking voice, I couldn't help, but think "Is that a teenage drag queen?" :roll: )

JasonN said:
(and is it just me or does the kid playing Aang in the movie sound rather off? The first time I heard his speaking voice, I couldn't help, but think "Is that a teenage drag queen?" :roll: )
I've heard his Texan accent is really noticeable. The acting is also really stiff and monotonous, as indicated by this clip:

[youtube:2zvfsz96]

If you're interested, the founder of the protest group posted an informal review of the film a few hours ago after finally being admitted to a pre-screening. Everything he brings up is rather telling, though there's a lot of spoilers. Read at your own risk.

Sadly, I am a total sucker for this new real3D crap, so I will be seeing it.

I hate that it's a Shama-lam-a-ding-dong movie, though. The guy is just awful.

Pantsandshock said:
Sadly, I am a total sucker for this new real3D crap, so I will be seeing it.
If you choose to read the review linked in the above post you'll see how much the 3D effects aren't worth it. If anything, a 2D showing is far superior if only because the 3D effects are hardly effective.

Why was he allowed to write the screenplay? Where were the studio bosses? Comedy. :lol:

Considering all of the (understandable) outrage that came from casting four Caucasians in lead roles that were Asian in the original animated series, it is almost offensive that the lead actors are blank slates from beginning to end. This is clearly not a case of Shyamalan sacrificing the racial balance of his story for the sake of casting an irreplaceable young actor (there is no Haley Joel Osment-like discovery in the mix here). Frankly, the casting has an accidental (?) racial undertone, as the good guys of the Water Nation are all white and/or British while the villainous Fire Nation people generally all portrayed by Indian or Middle Eastern actors.
Oh yeah, that's not racist at all, Shyamalan. :p

I'm not passing judgment in either direction, as I know nothing about this series, movie, or casting issue (this thread is the first I've heard of this). But isn't M. Knight Indian?

TV's Frink said:
I'm not passing judgment in either direction, as I know nothing about this series, movie, or casting issue (this thread is the first I've heard of this). But isn't M. Knight Indian?
you can be any race and still be a racists. Apparently we're all built with the capacity to hate anything.

I hate racists. They're always making generalizations about other people's cultures. Those racists... they're all the same."
~ Pope John Paul II on Racism

"Man I hate Danish people! I hate all Danes! Why? Because they are such racists!"
~ Swedish person on the neighbouring country of Denmark

"There are two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures; and the Dutch."
~ Nigel Powers on Racism

Nigel Powers FTW. :)

Yes, of course you are right. It just would be odd that he would be racist against his own race...

TV's Frink said:
Nigel Powers FTW. :)

Yes, of course you are right. It just would be odd that he would be racist against his own race...
media plays a big part in that. if you examine films and tv, they're mostly inhabited by successful, beautiful white people.
And you're a kid living in Sau Paulo or Bombay or Managua and you're poor and your family's miserable... what world do you think that kid would dream about?
And if you love and admire one, you know how you'd feel about the other.

Well, I believe in the superiority of yellow people. ;)

TV's Frink said:
Didn't know you were an asianophile, Frink. :p

At least we wiped the purple people off the face of earth back in the Rainbow War of 1912. :smile:

JasonN said:
TV's Frink said:
Didn't know you were an asianophile, Frink. :p
Nah. They have five fingers on each hand. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom