• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

FCP, slowing footage down

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hate to ask questions while away from my software, but in the hopes of catching people before I get home when I can actually do work..

I have two scenes where I need to hold the scenes for about a second longer, perhaps 2 seconds longer so that the cut's aren't too rapid. I have the audio to make it work, but need to figure out the best way.

I'm working (as I believe most editors do) from a single .mov file that I'm editing within my timeline, cutting, moving around, wiping transitions etc.. I know FCP can modify how long a clip runs, but is there a way to do this just for a section in the timeline?
I imagine that I can create a whole other sequence, cut it down to just that piece, make the modifications, then copy it back into the sources tab, and then pull back across into my real timeline, but I figured I'd double-check to see if I can skip that process and work strictly within my timeline.

Pulling this off makes will make two of my most important edits go from 'meh' to really good (at least IMO) and these are the final tweaks I need to make that were called out in my last screening, so this should be it!

Thanks in advance.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
I imagine that I can create a whole other sequence, cut it down to just that piece, make the modifications, then copy it back into the sources tab, and then pull back across into my real timeline, but I figured I'd double-check to see if I can skip that process and work strictly within my timeline.
Thats how I would do it.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
Thats how I would do it.

Thanks KBM. Even as I was writing the post, that little voice in the back of my head was telling me that this was really the best solution, but it's always good for a rookie like me to get second opinions.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I should keep my mouth shut because I have NO experience w/ FCP - but in Vegas this is achieved easily as long as you insert a cut at the start and end point of the section you wish to manipulate. Then you select 'insert envelope' and 'velocity'.

I did this for a few section in Klone where I needed the image to linger longer than was available in the source.

Doubt that helps you, but worth a shot.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It may be useful. I've seen 'envelope' in the drop-downs in FCP, my guess is they are similar functions. I never tried it or read on it as I was tooling along quite well in all other respects, but from your description, the term now makes sense as to what it could do. I'll check it out.

sidenote: of the two scenes, the first one which was less critical so I have simply cut because extending it as much as I needed made it look slow-motion. I had a few unused seconds on the following shot so I just pulled that one open and solved the sequence timing, it actually works better I think (or perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part). But the 2nd one is actually my final shot of the movie, so it's kind of important :)

Thanks for weighing in, I think it will prove helpful.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So turns out I could find no 'envelope' like I thought I saw, however, turns out it is quite a simple process in FCP. As long as you isolate the segment using the cut tool and then select the segment in the timeline, change speed will only affect the selected portion. Very handy to know!

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
glad to hear you got it sorted out!

Top Bottom