• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

MPEG STREAMCLIP and FINAL CUT EXPRESS TOGETHER

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone use both MPEG and FCE in creating their edits?

I am trying to confirm if I am using all the correct settings. My first couple of edits were a mess due to poor picture quality.
So I think I my settings are incorrect somewhere, either in MPEG or FCE.
When I look at the clip exported from MPEG the quality looks excellent, but when I look at the exact same clip after I edited and exported it
from FCE, the picture looks muddy and pixelated, especially during action sequences.

So I think maybe I have figured out where the problem lies but just want to get a second opinion if I have found all the correct settings.

Here is how I have set up MPEG STREAMCLIP:
COMPRESSION: Apple DV/DVC PRO NTCS
with the INTERLACED option at 100% quality 16:9
plus I leave the INTERLACED SCALING and REINTERLACED CHROMA checked
match the field settings (upper/lower)
and enter the frame rate

Sound right so far?

And for FCE I have now chosen:

I go into EASY SET-UP, I have tried various combinations to poor results, but I now think the correct settings should be
FORMAT: NTSC
USE: DV-NTSC

Does that sound right? I thought at first for format I should have been using the Panasonic DV/DVD PRO, since it sounded similar to the MPEG setting, but now I think that was incorrect...

Any pointers would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had nearly the exact same problem. KBM helped me tremendously; you will want to review this link/post and solve your problems (I assume that FCE works quite similarly to FCP in this regard)

http://www.faneditforum.com/viewtopic.p ... streamclip

The biggest thing I see that you're doing different is the Interlaced issue. The screen grabs help tremendously.

I ran a test on this and it gave me a quantum leap in quality. I still seem to have some really funky issues with compression of bright reds and can't seem to resolve that so have accepted this small issue for the overall improvement in quality.

Note that one of the keys is your frame rate, make sure you're rip isn't 29.7, but rather 23.976. I initially resisted KBM's admonitions that this was important, but when I did as instructed, many issues disappeared.

Good luck!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
I had nearly the exact same problem. KBM helped me tremendously; you will want to review this link/post and solve your problems (I assume that FCE works quite similarly to FCP in this regard)

http://www.faneditforum.com/viewtopic.p ... streamclip

I was in the middle of composing a long reply to this effect when I saw that L8 already beat me to it :lol:

Seriously, listen to Jorge (KBM); he's the man when it comes to doing this stuff on a Mac.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guys.

That was extremely helpful! You are right, Jorge is the MAN!

So I definitely had my MPEG settings wrong.... should have been PROGRESSIVE not Interlaced... D'OH!

I also now have a clearer understanding of the proper settings for individual clips in a sequence.
Here's a dumb question, when you pull up the STREAM INFO in MPEG, which info is the Pixel Ratio???

And finally, in FCE, when I do EASY SET-UP did I at least have that information correct?
Format: NTSC
Use: DV-NTSC

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Here's a dumb question, when you pull up the STREAM INFO in MPEG, which info is the Pixel Ratio???

Basically its the only set of numbers with an 'x' between them, most typically 720 x 480 if you're working NTSC.

And finally, in FCE, when I do EASY SET-UP did I at least have that information correct?
Format: NTSC
Use: DV-NTSC

I use Final Cut Pro, so I am not familiar with the Easy Set-up, but you do want those settings.

It wasn't that long ago I was having these very same struggles. Good luck!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just came across something else while following Jorges guide...

When I pull up SEQUENCE SETTINGS in FCE it does not look anything like the screen capture Jorge displayed or any any of the same options.

Am I looking at the wrong section? I just clicked on the SEQUECE tab at the top of the FCE window and choose SETTINGS from the option list.
Or is the screen capture from FCPro and FCE does not have this feature? Starting to feel confused again...

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jorge's screen captures are from Final Cut Pro, sorry I should have made that clear. You'll probably need to do some interpreting on this one as I would imagine FCE has some slimmed down options etc.. I think you're definitely going in the right direction. I would think that FCE has these settings in some manner.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, so I did a very quick test clip...

Edited together 5 different scenes from 5 different sources using the information I gathered here regarding new settings for MPEG and FCE.
Just watched the DVD and the picture quality has improved significantly.
Definitely on the right road now I think.

A big thanks to everyone for the help. :smile:

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i wish i knew the answers to these questions, i am watching all the Lynda tutorials, and all other tutorials i can find on FCP,FCE, and Adobe CS4. i need to be familiar with all my programs before i get ahead of myself. hopefully i learn some useful tips, and knowledge.

Top Bottom