If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Lightworks (Oscar winning editor) going open source
Quote: import it was 30 minutes!

Yikes! The more i hear about this program the more i want to stay away from it...
I may be an A-hole, but I'm not 100% a dick - Han Solo
Currently working on: Mad Max: Fury Road (silent edit)
Rogue-theX Wrote:Yikes! The more i hear about this program the more i want to stay away from it...

Lol. I don't blame you for that sentiment. For some reason I am still intrigued by the program.
>>>Completed Edits<<<
Recently Completed: Crossing Mulberry Street
Currently Editing: Taxi Driver Rescored (Refn/Drive/Cliff Martinez Style)

"I used Adobe Premiere, I like to do a little weekend editing. I recently just cut 3 minutes out of Goodfellas."

It's taken me about 9 months or so to feel fully comfortable with Vegas, so I probably won't try Lightworks at the moment. I'm more likely to go onto Final Cut Pro when I get a mac.

However, if it's open source you can't really complain I suppose.
It looks like Lightworks is finally nearing a release for Linux, I found the video over here exciting Smile

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/new-l...nux-client
So one of the problems with Lightworks has been that it only accepts certain video formats for input. I just discovered someone has come up with an application that converts several video formats into a Lightworks friendly format. I may try it out.

http://eyeframeconverter.wordpress.com/

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/EyeFrame-Converter
>>>Completed Edits<<<
Recently Completed: Crossing Mulberry Street
Currently Editing: Taxi Driver Rescored (Refn/Drive/Cliff Martinez Style)

"I used Adobe Premiere, I like to do a little weekend editing. I recently just cut 3 minutes out of Goodfellas."

elbarto1 Wrote:cool, I wonder how robust its features are compared with the heavy hitters vegas/ulead/fcp
Well first of all, Lightworks isn't too big. Sure a handful of films were cut on it, but that's only a handful.

Secondly, Vegas and uLead are no where NEAR heavy hitters. They're unstable and glitchy. Final Cut Pro is a heavy hitter, but even then it's fallen off the horse. The only true industry standard for NLE is Avid's Media Composer. Lightworks going free will probably have no effect on FCP and especially MC, mostly because those who are trained to use these already have them or have access to them, so their customers wouldn't switch from NLE suites that have put forth countless Oscar winning films for a less popular NLE that has put out half-a-dozen Oscar nominated films.

It only serves as competition to Premiere and Vegas - and even then, Premiere is slowly reaching the level of FCP. I think in the coming years, we'll see the order of use come to this:

Media Composer (industry standard)
Premiere (intermediate)
Vegas (consumer)
Final Cut (casual)

Just where I've noticed the trends going.

Rogue-theX Wrote:Anyone know how many audio tracks you can have in this program?
To be honest, usually these programs can support multiple, but Editors almost never use too many because audio is normally managed in ProTools.
For those interested in Lightworks on Ubuntu or other Linux Distros:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/light...lease-date
I haven't be able to test it yet because I'm waiting for the open beta on April 30th. I've heard some major GUI changes for those coming from "traditional" video editors but I've also heard if you take the time the shift is worth it.
Finally! Lightworks Runs On Debian GNU/Linux
Resurrecting this old thread.

How does Lightworks hold up now?