• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

subtitles driving me crazy!!

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
can anyone tell me how to hard code subtitles into an avi? i have the .sub & .srt files. ihave been playing with Mpeg Streamclip, VLC, FCP,FCE, Vddyup!, and others and no luck. how can this simple task be so complicated with all the software i have yo do it. i also have Adobe CS4, any suggestions? i have several foreign movies i want to burn to dvd to watch, but i cannot get the subs on the disc. watching VLC or Quicktime is no problem, but i want them on DVD. i need help here!!

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, If you're using FCP, I have a trick to do it, but it's a pain in the ass to do for an entire movie.

You can do a hard text overlay. I don't know if there is a better way, but I've done it and it works, but I only needed it for a handful of lines, 15-20.

From the effects tab, under Video Generators, there is a folder 'Text' with several options, Crawl, Lower 3rd, Outline Text Scrolling, Text etc.. each one has different purposes, features and controls which will show up as a tab in your Viewer. To mimic subtitles I used Outline Text set to 24 pt. Worked really well. For positioning it's probably best to reset the x,y center, but I was lazy and just inserted 10 carriage returns and then did my lines and it lined up perfect. Once I made one successfully, I copied it and just kept pasting it over and over to save time in resetting everything. It creates a an overlay that becomes permanent when you export out of FCP.

This of course is a laborious process because it does not take advantage of your sub and srt files, and instead makes you enter it all manually with start and stop points, but it does work.

If no better route is suggested and you have to go this route, I'd recommend doing a google search for tutorials on how to use the generators, it's too late for me to remember which sites I used, but google gave me plenty of results once I found this section.

Good luck!

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't understand the problem. You don't need to hardcode to get them on a DVD.

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
you obviously run Mac, so if you have an .avi file + a .srt file for your subs what would be the easiest method to get them both on a dvd? i am trying to get a FanEdit together, but i need the subs on the movie. i chose hard coding because i will be cutting & splicing from one film to the next. what would be your easy method of adding subs with the .srt file and .avi?

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i solved my own problem last night! i used the main .MKV file i ripped, and threw it in MKVTools, it gave me a subtitle option. i chose my font and position, a few hours later i had it in .avi format!

Top Bottom