• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Hybrid Cut

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
by Captain Khajiit

Original Film name: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Studio: Paramount
Released 1984
Fanedit Released: 2010
Fanedit name: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Hybrid Cut
Intention: to create a best-of-both-worlds hybrid between the almost-perfect theatrical cut and the intriguing director's cut
Original Runtime: 113 min. (theatrical) 116 min. (director's)
New Runtime: 114 min.
Persons involved: one; many thanks to Boon for authoring the disc and Throwgncpr for advice on cover art.

st2hybrid_front.jpg

Used the expanded conversation between Kirk and McCoy about the spectacles and the clearer alternate director's cut take of "administer Retinax V" rather than the theatrical "recommend Retinax V."

The scene with the Ceti eels is uncut.

Used the first half of the director's cut engine room conversation between Kirk and Midshipman Preston in the Enterprise engine room, in which Scotty reveals that Preston is his nephew. As I read the book before seeing the film, I always felt Scotty's extreme emotional distress at Preston's death lacked sufficient explanation; and while the dialogue in this scene is not the best scripted in the world, it is better than nothing. The second half of the scene is the theatrical take with the close up of the cadets and the better line delivery at the end.

The longer version of the scene in which Chekov informs Dr. Marcus that Reliant has new orders is retained with its more logical expanded dialogue.

The theatrical take of the Regula One scientists arguing about Starfleet's "new orders" arrival has been used. This version creates more suspense, and we uncover the fate of the scientists as the Enterprise crew do.

Included the theatrical version of Spock and McCoy's argument about Genesis, as the director's cut additions were unnecessary and dampened the fiery intensity of the exchange. Moreover, the line delivery was not as good as it could have been.

The scene in which Midshipman Preston dies in sickbay has been recut to omit the director's cut expanded dialogue and follow the theatrical version, which flowed better with the rest of the film; however, Preston still dies in a close-up shot like the director's cut.

Removed the scene in which Kirk informs Spock that David is his son, so that the music does not loop here. This short scene was uninspiring in its implementation, broke the flow of the sequence in which it was included, and we know enough of Kirk's close friendship with Spock to surmise that he informed him at some point.

For the same reason, I removed Saavik's question on the bridge and Spock's response about the human ego. Again, the music no longer loops here.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Intriguing!! I am anxious to give this a look!

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would also like to add thanks to Elbarto1 and White43 for their patience and willingness to help me when I was struggling with file formats.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cheers capn' :) glad you released this!

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for your interest. :) You should look in the usual place. :wink:

ron2112

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think this is a fine piece of work, well-conceived and well put-together. Congratulations on an excellent edit. It makes me want to see the theatrical cut again, which I didn't realize was available until I saw this fanedit.

The one point I'm going to disagree on is...

Used the first half of the director's cut engine room conversation between Kirk and Midshipman Preston in the Enterprise engine room, in which Scotty reveals that Preston is his nephew. [...] I always felt Scotty's extreme emotional distress at Preston's death lacked sufficient explanation; and while the dialogue in this scene is not the best scripted in the world, it is better than nothing.

Frankly, I think nothing is better. I saw the film prior to reading the novelization, and I remember thinking that Scotty had probably developed some sort of mentor relationship with this particular cadet. Whatever confusion I had was quickly forgotten anyway. So I see this as a balance:

On one hand, we have the second-most painful scene ever to appear in a Star Trek film. (Sorry, Uhura.)
On the other hand, we have a moment of minor, passing confusion.

I'm gonna go ahead and take the confusion. If it means never again having to hear a cadet tell an Admiral he's as blind as a Tiberian bat, I'm okay with it.

Ron Moses

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for your comment, Ron Moses. :) I entirely understand your point of view. I guess it's just preference. The scene could certainly be better, but whenever I watched the film with people who were not Star Trek fans, someone often commented on Scotty's extreme distress, so I decided to include it.

There is also the fact that this is a light fanedit. Leaving that scene out might make the edit appear perilously close to the theatrical version.

I feel the same way about the deleted scene in which Spock and Kirk discuss Saavik's being half-Romulan, which unfortunately is not available in anything like the quality necessary for inclusion. While I understand why some people do not like this idea, I read about it in the book first, so I never had any doubt that this was why she appeared more emotional than one would expect of a Vulcan, even a young one, and liked the idea of a half-Vulcan half-Romulan character.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Short and sweet comment: There are other people around here that are bigger experts on The Wrath of Khan than I am, so I'll leave it to them to decide if this cut is better than either official one or not. But, since the edit is seamlessly executed, both the audio and video quality are as flawless as any commercial DVD and better than many, and the presentation of the disc is very well made with a particularly nice main menu, I see absolutely no reason to not give this edition 10 stars out of 10. Great job!

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you very much, DwightFry78. :) I appreciate the kind words, and am glad you enjoyed the edit. I too am eagerly awaiting Bionicbob's release.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does this edit include the final scene from the theatrical cut or director's cut? I ask because the color and lighting between the two are drastically different.

Top Bottom