• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Total Recall (2011)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386703/

I dont mind a remake of this one.
The story is the interesting part of the original, not the actors and I'd like to see how an updated version w/o Arnie holds up.

I hope they focus more on the cool sci-fi than tough-guy action.

Another damn remake. :evil: You've got to be kidding me. How are they gonna screw this one up now?

This, along with Verhoven's "Robocop", are two movies that need to be left alone. They are both brilliant.

Granted... if Aronofsky does indeed get to remake "Robocop" then my opinion will change because, quite frankly, the man is a genius and I doubt he'd mess it up.

remake is the new original.

get used to seeing every movie ever made remade and remad eagain using worse actors and new effects.

most remakes piss me off but I am interested in this one. IMO Total Recall is a flawed film that would have been a better story w/o Arnie. Even if I loved every minute of it as a kid.

I really want to see an Aronofsky Robocop. I trust him. anyone else, pass. RCop was perfect.

get used to seeing every movie ever made remade and remad eagain using worse actors and new effects.

what about darth vader in those awesome episode movies? that doesn´t count, right?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

besides: i didn´t see total recall in many years because i´m afraid that it could have lost it´s magic over the years. that´s the great thing about the remake: even if it´s a pile of crap (which it probably will be) it takes away the fear and after seeing it i can again enjoy that classic arnie movie...

:)

I have mentioned before that total recall gets worse for me with each viewing. I dont know what it is as I am an Arnie-fan from the 80's and its a great movie but something about it just irks me now.
I wish fanediting it would help me but I dont think anything I can do would please me or potential viewers.

A remake is only as good or bad as the studio/director/writers behind it (IMO).

The recent Star Trek movie is a perfect example. Even with the plot holes, weak villain, and questionable time-travel, it still was a tremendously fun time because of who made it. I think most people thought that a BSG reboot was insane (I know I did) but that only turned out to be one of the best shows in the history of television (again, IMO).

Look at Robocop; we don't seem to mind the idea of a remake as long as given to the right creative team, but shudder in the wrong hands.

I don't abhor remakes, I just abhor bad films, of all stripes. 'Original' can be just as crappy as remade/re-booted/re-imagined.

I'm curious about a Total Recall remake not because I think that the original was bad, I LOVED it. But in the 20 years since the muscle-bound 80s, I think a good film-maker could take a very different but compelling angle on the same story. Personally, I don't hold that any film is ever so perfect or revered that it cannot be retold by the next or subsequent generation, just give me a reason to watch it, give it a reason for being re-made other than 'because I can'.

This may be seen as blasphemy, but I wouldn't even mind seeing Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" brought to the screen again. While Bladerunner stands as one of the greatest movies ever made, it was such a drastically different take on the original story that a more literal interpretation has the potential to be quite good, and very very different. But look at me, I've wandered off-topic :)

I agree with you.
I am reading the comic version of do androids dream and its marvelous. its a word for word adaptation of the novel, but with art as well as text. I'd love to see a live action film with such reverence.

remakes get the shaft because they are cheapo unoriginal cash-in's "because we can", rather than thought out attempts to retell a classic/successful story.

it seems the creative well is dry in hollywood and its a shame. I cant wait till they burn up all the possible remakes so hopefully people will have to think again, ...nah they'll just remake the remakes :razz:

to be fair Total Recall has NOT aged well, as has been mentioned i also adored it as a kid but revisiring just makes me cringe, if they can transplant the feel of the original but update it for now i think it'll do very well.

not holding out a lot of hope though :(

I still love Total Recall for what it is, but I welcome a new version...provided they don't just remake the film, but make a new version of the story based on the book. If they just want to straight up redo TR with a different muscle-bound dude, then count me out.

As much as I hate remakes there's nothing I can do about them. I just hope that two things are avoided.

1. Do not give this to Michael Bay to fuck up yet another film.
2. Don't cast a professional wrestler or a UFC fighter in Arnie's role.

I will admit Joss Whedon did an amazing job with the new Star Trek and I love John Carpenter's remake of The Thing, as we all do I'm sure, but please if this is a done deal give it to somebody who not only knows what he's doing but who also has some love for the movie.

Uncanny Antman said:
Frantic Canadian said:
I will admit Joss Whedon did an amazing job with the new Star Trek
That'd be J.J. Abrams, not Joss.[/quote:2x4jgav5]

My bad. Don't know why I was thinking of Joss Whedon. Either way he did a great job with it.

Frantic Canadian said:
Uncanny Antman said:
Frantic Canadian said:
I will admit Joss Whedon did an amazing job with the new Star Trek
That'd be J.J. Abrams, not Joss.[/quote:fxal4pcm]

My bad. Don't know why I was thinking of Joss Whedon. Either way he did a great job with it.[/quote:fxal4pcm]

Funny, for some reason I always lump them together as two sides of the same person and make the same gaffe. Sadly for Joss, JJ has had a bit more financial success.

It'd be interesting to have them pair up on a project.

Regardless, I think we can all agree however that Michael Bay simply shouldn't be allowed to make any movies. Period. Remakes, originals, or cartoons, he is an abomination, and possibly the Anti-Christ :p

L8wrtr said:
Regardless, I think we can all agree however that Michael Bay simply shouldn't be allowed to make any movies. Period. Remakes, originals, or cartoons, he is an abomination, and possibly the Anti-Christ :p

Agreed. Although The Rock did kick ass. And Con Air was pretty good too.

Frantic Canadian said:
Agreed. Although The Rock did kick ass. And Con Air was pretty good too.

Those are his two most watchable films, by far. But I'm not sure that they compensate for his other films.

I know that con air have same shitty style as the rock have but it is not by bay :)

Damn, that's right. It's the Jerry Bruckheimer connection that gets me snarled up. I often subconsciously credit many Bruckheimer flicks to Bay (and that's not a good thing)

L8wrtr said:
Damn, that's right. It's the Jerry Bruckheimer connection that gets me snarled up. I often subconsciously credit many Bruckheimer flicks to Bay (and that's not a good thing)

Damn! That got me too. He did direct The Rock though, which is a kick ass movie. How can one man make so much crap and still be allowed to work in Hollywood? He's even working on a third Transformers movie, a second Friday The 13th movie and remakes of The Birds and The Monster Squad. There he goes again, fucking up another childhood favorite. :evil:

Back
Top Bottom