• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

converting DTS to AC3 from an MKV

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like to convert HD MKV's to M2TS/AVCHD files for DVD playback on my PS3/easy archive.

trouble is, MKV's that have DTS tracks (common) need to be converted because they dont work with this method. (if I mux the file as is w/ the DTS track I get no audio at all on PC and PS3 playback) Now, converting them to AC3 I can do easily w/ GUI's like DAudioK which brings me to my problem/question:

When I do this the audio track gets panned to the right for some reason. I cant find any settings that correct this and was wondering if theres another method I can use that you may know of.

Thanks.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MKV2VOB will do the trick.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes; AvP's method will do the trick. Alternatively you could use Popcorn to generate another MKV with AC-3 and then use tsmuxer to make the new MKV into an m2ts.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn_ ... oConverter

Alternatively, EVmkvDTStoAC3 does a good job with the audio conversion.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showt ... p?tid=6703

Popcorn is generally the superior tool.

Both of the audio converters above are also excellent for anyone with the old version of the WD Media Player that does not have DTS decoding.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks for the reply's fellas - been converting the alien films all day. most were good to go but aliens has been giving me trouble. found the SE w/ DTS and the audio converted poorly (as alluded to in my initial post) found a nice version w/ AC3 but it was the theatrical :p - just found a 3rd version that (hopefully) will do the trick - special edition w/ AC3.

I'll definitely try your methods next time I encounter this issue. because I hate having to hunt down multiple rips just because the audio track doesnt want to play nice.

cheers!

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
I'll definitely try your methods next time I encounter this issue. because I hate having to hunt down multiple rips just because the audio track doesnt want to play nice.

Tell me about it! I've had the same trouble in the past. I really hate DTS because when it's present in an MKV it often the sole audio option, and AC-3 is more than adequate most of the time. (I can't really hear the difference between a high bitrate (640 kbps) AC-3 and DTS.)

Don't forget you can always use multiAVCHD or uncropMKV to make an AVCHD that will work in your PS3. It might be less hassle than having to re-download. Hope you get Aliens working soon. :)

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh man i have an update for y'all. ps3 media server betas (i'm using build 400 right now) support the perfect amount of formats.

all audio formats that mplayer supports are decoded to PCM and sent to the PS3 - especially awesome for musepack/monkey's audio/vorbis/etc.

all videocformats/containers are:
(1) (if both video and audio are supported by the PS3) demuxed with tsmuxer from the original format/container and streamed untouched (AC3+AVC in mkv!)
(2) anything that ISN'T supported by the PS3 will be re-encoded on-the-fly into MPEG2 or AC3 - and at whatever settings/quality you choose.

quality is perfect via wireless streaming from my linux server.

only downside is i have to run a GUI on the server because PMS is java/GUI - but i can live with that :)

windows version is available.

Top Bottom