• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random TV Show Thoughts

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I've been watching Frisky Dingo all day, currently on season 2 episode 4. I tried watching it a couple years ago and fell in love, but I never got around to finishing it.

"Dog Party" was my ringtone in 2008(?).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The result of this year's University Challenge grand final last night was perhaps inevitable but glorious to behold. Ian Wang and his team were very good but Brandon Blackwell was an absolute quizzing machine, surely one of the greatest contestants ever.

27365882-8233393-image-a-41_1587253463184.jpg

I saw a comment that said "Brandon doesn't use Google... Google uses Brandon" :D .

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, this is a show that apparently exists. :p

crash.jpg

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone watched Schitt’s Creek? We wanted something light last night so we watched three episodes and found it almost painful to watch. I figure it must get better, given the acclaim it has received. Looking for guidance.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Has anyone watched Schitt’s Creek? We wanted something light last night so we watched three episodes and found it almost painful to watch. I figure it must get better, given the acclaim it has received. Looking for guidance.

My partner and I watched the entire series during lockdown and thoroughly enjoyed it. I feel personally it's comparable to parks and recreation in that the characters are well developed and have compelling story arcs.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

My partner and I watched the entire series during lockdown and thoroughly enjoyed it. I feel personally it's comparable to parks and recreation in that the characters are well developed and have compelling story arcs.

Thanks! I totally respect your opinion so that gives me hope. I sent you a PM so as to not derail this thread or potentially spoil anything.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, this is just delightful:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Entertainment Weekly's Darren Franich pens a neat tribute to Supernatural, which ended this year after 15 seasons and 327 (!) episode, by reviewing its pilot for the first time:

At one point, Dean sees a couple official-dope FBI agents arriving late to a crime scene. "Agent Mulder," he nods, "Agent Scully." It's almost a bratty moment, potentially a screw you! to the other weekly weird procedural. A middle finger would've been justified; X-Files had just ended terribly a few years earlier. With the benefit of outrageous hindsight, that moment feels more like a cheeky handoff. The X-Files perched a believer and a skeptic on the edge of unfathomable mysteries. On Supernatural, that dichotomy isn't necessary. This is what the Winchesters do — solve supernatural crimes, lose women they love — and they’ve been doing it their whole life.

That’s another old-fashioned note in this pilot, which probably played well in chronology-splintered syndication. Nobody is, like, learning the rules of Supernatural — and remember, this was still the early age of Lost, a saga which was almost entirely about learning its own universe's rules. In 2020, every genre series seems to turn the whole first season into a lugubrious premise pilot. The Supernatural premiere just gets on with it.

I've never seen the show myself, but one has to respect that kind of longevity. And then there's this comment on the article...

The reference to The X-Files is also neat because the show, at least in its early years, uses a lot of people who worked on that show. Kim Manners, a beloved director and executive producer on Supernatural who sadly passed away during the fourth season, worked on both shows in the same capacity. John Shiban wrote episodes. I saw other names pop up.

The shows both filmed in Vancouver, often using the same locations such as Riverview Hospital. Stylistically, Supernatural shared a very similar look to The X-Files, so I tend to think of Supernatural as The X-Files’ natural spiritual successor.

Coming to the end of Supernatural, where the shows majorly differ is that Supernatural’s run, if you watch all 15 seasons, feels like a wonderfully wild ride. There are dips in quality of course, but at the end, you’re glad you’ve taken the journey.

By contrast, The X-Files became so confusing and frustrating and stretched out that by Season 11’s finale, you just felt like it was a waste of time. Supernatural was always quite consistent with Sam and Dean and their connection to each other; The X-Files messed up Mulder and Scully royally in the end.

In the end, I think Supernatural actually became the superior show because it allowed for different EPs and writers and storylines and arcs that had a natural conclusion each season, but flowing into the next arc or season, rather than stretching something out for years and then dropping it like a hot potato when something more “timely” came along. Or resetting relationships and beliefs when it suited the creator, despite butchering the characters in the process (eg Mulder and Scully suddenly being FBI professional partners again in Season 10 after having been a couple for a decade, and Scully’s skepticism returning despite massive changes in Seasons 8 and 9).

I've only seen a few X-Files episodes, and that was nearly 20 years ago, so I don't have an opinion in any overall quality debate. That said, while I imagine The X-Files had higher highs, I can totally picture Supernatural being a steadier, and perhaps even greater-on-average ride.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It speaks to the changing nature of media that a show can exist for 15 seasons and I’ve never even heard of it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved SUPERNATURAL!   The series finale was imperfect due to Covid filming restrictions, but damn, it still made my eyes water.

I can honestly say, for me, Supernatural is vastly superior to X-Files over the long run.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A tough-but-fair retrospective on everybody's favorite totally bonkers high school show choir dramedy:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
We’ve started watching Cobra Kai. And most (all?) episodes so far have at least a small montage scene, seemingly intentionally. And I’ve decided what I need in my life is an all-things-Karate-Kid-montage supercut. Every montage from every Karate Kid franchise property. All of it. In a montage of montages.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That 70's Show is cursed. Tanya Roberts was reported to have just died at 65 (except she was apparently still alive in the hospital and then subsequently died), Danny Masterson has been accused of various terrible things, Ashton Kutcher became Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis married Ashton Kutcher, and Topher Grace became a faneditor. 

TRAGIC.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just noticed that all of Seinfeld has been removed from Amazon Prime UK today, after being on there for a year at least, probably much longer, ready to randomly watch, anytime, anywhere.

KBXPHc.gif

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Simpsons episode “Steal This Episode” prominently features fan editing.
EE4-tHSUwAEjGzH.jpg

🤣😜

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stargate SG-1 (Season 3)

Stargate_SG-1_Season_3.jpg

This is the season I feel the most nostalgia for. It was the first full season I watched after seeing the movie, which gave me a better understanding of the universe than I had previously. It was also before I watched "Children of the Gods", leaving me blissfully unaware of how baked-in the discontinuity between the movie/series really was. Suffice to say, my feelings have cooled over the decades. I don't like what they did with Sha're, the Harcesis subplot that went absolutely nowhere, nor the introduction of Ascension, one of the concepts which utterly ruined the show for me in later seasons. Still, I'd say this, along with Season 4, is SG-1 at its creative peak (even if its best episodes aren't quite as good as Season 2's best).

EPISODE RATINGS

• "Into the Fire" – 7/10
  • "Seth" – 7/10
  • "Fair Game" – 6/10
  • "Legacy" – 6/10
  • "Learning Curve" – 5/10
  • "Point of View" – 7/10
  • "Deadman Switch" – 7/10
  • "Demons" – 6/10
  • "Rules of Engagement" – 5/10
  • "Forever in a Day" – 6/10
  • "Past and Present" – 6/10
  • "Jolinar's Memories" – 7/10
  • "The Devil You Know" – 7/10
  • "Foothold" – 7/10
  • "Pretense" – 6/10
  • "Urgo" – 6/10
  • "A Hundred Days" – 6/10
  • "Shades of Grey" – 6/10
  • "New Ground" – 7/10
  • "Maternal Instinct" – 5/10
  • "Crystal Skull" – 7/10
  • "Nemesis" – 7/10

SEASON RATING

7/10

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
STARGATE SG-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn I love this show!
🥰
😁
👍

It is a show I think I take too much for granted. If people ask me the my favourite sci-fi show, I will automatically, without any thinking, just say Star Trek or classic BSG. But I am not sure that is entirely true. As I watch Stargate practically everyday, it is always on our Space Channel seven days a week, so I always have it on always in the background. I purposedly sat down and watched the entire series in order on dvd on three different occasions over the many years. The show never grows old or feels tired.... for me, it definitely never jumped the shark.

I think because the series was so well produced, so consistently of good quality in terms of character and writing, that it just became my always reliable go-to-show without really thinking about why.

While I enjoyed the theatrical STARGATE, it was far from perfect in terms of story and direction. But the concept was simple and brillaint. And producers Wright and Glassner took the idea, remixed and polished it, and it became something BETTER (imo) than the original.

They retro-conned the film in small ways... Ra was not the last of his evil people, but just one of many tyrannical System Lords. Abydos was not in some far away galaxy but in the nearest habitable star system to Earth. The Stargate was no longer seemingly all powerful, but had limits.
In essense, Wright and Glassner created RULES for their universe and stories. Rules they mostly stuck by for the entire run of the franchise. And when a Rule did get broken, it was acknowledged and given an explanation. The producers respected their fan base and treated their supporters as being intelligent, and never tried to slip something pass them.

Wright and Glassner, along with Robert Cooper and others, did some incredible world building over the course of the franchise. It has one of the richest, complex and CONSISTANT (Star Trek can not say that lol) mythologies of any sci-fi series produced. It continues to be a joy to watch for me.

Last edited:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do we need a designated Star Gate thread?

Top Bottom