• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally, I think A Single Man was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. The usage of color to denote emotion in the film was excellent, and the whole setting really helped to add to the story. The acting was top notch as well, and that ending.....

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with Kevinicus. I was pretty bored while watching A Single Man. The only reason why I even watched it was because it starred Julianne Moore, and I'll probably end up buying it for that reason alone, but even she wasn't enough to keep me entertained during this film.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
Personally, I think A Single Man was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. The usage of color to denote emotion in the film was excellent, and the whole setting really helped to add to the story. The acting was top notch as well, and that ending.....

I agree on a technical level that the movie was shot and created well, and the acting was very good. There just wasn't anything going on that was of any interest at all, and for me, it doesn't matter how good something is on a technical or acting level, if it utterly fails on being interesting or entertaining, then it's a poor movie IMO.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To each his own. I was very interested in the story and thought it worked really well. I'm not gay, but I completely understood the character and what he was going throughout the movie. To me, having the audience member emphasize and understand a character who is radically different from them is the sign of a good movie. But everyone is different so not everyone is going to get the same out of a movie, obviously.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A few mini-reviews of movies that I've seen lately:

Predators
Well... I'll say it's better than either of the Alien Vs Predator films.... but that honestly ain't saying much since those two movies were 10 different levels of bullsh*t. :p

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
By all accounts, I should have liked this movie much more than what I do, but there are two major issues (along with some minor ones) that I had with this movie adaptation of the comic:
1. They f*cking neutered the personality of Ramona Flowers :x (no lie, she has about as much personality as a grey brick wall in this movie)
2. The climax and ending was awful for me: one, because there was no reason why Scott or any other person would put that much on the line for Ramona (who again has no semblance of a personality here); two, because Ramona did next to nothing to fight with Scott or improve her situation (unlike the comics); and three, because the film's story is trying to build up to a different ending than the original's
(by trying to rewrite Knives as being Scott's true love and they'll end up together while Ramona goes off on her own, whereas in the comics both Scott and Ramona fight together against Gideon and proceed to try their relationship over again without either or the others emotional baggage)
, but the filmmakers don't have the guts to stick with it, so they try to turn it around and have the film end in a similar manner to the comics... and it just DOESN'T WORK.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it just me, or is Kirk Douglas hilarious as Doc Holliday?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got a new favorite movie...

Easy_Virtue_1.jpg

It's an adaptation of an old Noel Coward 1920s melodrama, with some of the tone and story modernized (without being anachronistic), and improved for the changes. The first twenty minutes are a bit rough, Jessica Biel's a bit too young for the part and there's one song cue that's just dreadful, but everything else is wonderful, and the payoff is well worth the hiccups along the way.

Definitely Netflix this puppy if you have any interest in inter-war Britain, but don't watch the spoiler-filled trailer.

One of the best end credit sequences I've ever heard.

Man, I love this flick. :)

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You mean Easy Virtue?

God, that movie was rough to watch. Biel is dreadful in it and every time I flick past it on TV I shudder that she wonders why she can't get better work. To each his own, but IMO this movie is pretty bad mainly because of Biel. Everyone else is fine in the film, but since it hinges on her performance, their is just no saving the movie for me.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw 7, aka Saw 3D... holy hell, did that bullsh*t garbage of a movie sucked ass! :p :p :p

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dang, yeah, Easy Virtue, don't know what happened to the poster image I attached...

I agree that Biel wasn't perfect, but it's a damn hard role to play, and who could have done better? You really need a blonde/someone who looks good blonde, early-30s, with a period feel, and who can play the bombshell but isn't so amazing that you can't see her with Barnes... all told, I think she did alright.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw After.Life.

Christina Ricci.

That is all.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My wife and I have talked about the Red Font Phenomenon for a few years now.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tremors. 1,2,3

Excellent.

I've not seen 4 though. Or the series.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Exception: the unrated version of Fired Up, which is actually a lot of charming fun:

fired+up+movie+poster.jpg

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Exception: the unrated version of Fired Up, which is actually a lot of charming fun:

I'll take your word for it.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aahhh Deuce Bigelo one of my most guilty pleasures.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The red font rule doesn't always work however.....
inception-movie-poster-1020551542.jpg

Top Bottom