• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moon is so good. saw that and D9 in the theatre when released (around the same time) and Moon literally made me forget how good D9 was. I rewatched D9 on dvd the other week and was re-blown away having tottaly forgot its awesomeness.

2 other good ones that seemed to have been forgotten I watched this week were Man On Fire (still need to watch Creasy) and Kingdom Of Heaven DC.

in other news, I have been doing a Superman marathon to prepare for a fanedit workprint viewing and thought it might be worth my while to grab the huge 14 disc DVD set that was released a few years ago, anyone here have that set? is it worth $30 for a moderate supes fan who already owns: supes 1 (2000 cut), supes 2 (donner cut) and supes returns?

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Supes box is totally worth it, especially if you don't already own the "Look, Up in the Sky" doco. It's really great.

Although some might tell you that you already own a lot of it...but you can dump those discs on someone else if you need to. :)

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
Moon is so good. saw that and D9 in the theatre when released (around the same time) and Moon literally made me forget how good D9 was. I rewatched D9 on dvd the other week and was re-blown away having tottaly forgot its awesomeness.

2 other good ones that seemed to have been forgotten I watched this week were Man On Fire (still need to watch Creasy) and Kingdom Of Heaven DC.

in other news, I have been doing a Superman marathon to prepare for a fanedit workprint viewing and thought it might be worth my while to grab the huge 14 disc DVD set that was released a few years ago, anyone here have that set? is it worth $30 for a moderate supes fan who already owns: supes 1 (2000 cut), supes 2 (donner cut) and supes returns?

just try to get newer versions of that set. The first batch had some major screwups with virtually all of the films. This was quickly replaced but most of the original sets are still floating around

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GoFposter.jpg

Being sick, I decided to give this one a nostalgic rewatch - and man, it is great fun. I know the critical consensus holds that Cuaron's Azkaban is the best, and to my mind they're neck-and-neck at least, but I might enjoy Goblet just a touch more, even if the cinematogrphy isn't quite as magical.

Ah, Goblet, destined to go down in history as the last genuinely good movie with "Harry Potter" in the title. Phoenix sucked hard, Prince just left me cold and indifferent, and if I see the inevitably bad Hallows at all, it'll be in the comfort of my own home. But really, I think I just might skip 'em altogether. After all, nothing they show can possibly be anywhere near as cool as the dragon chase from this one.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
usual.jpg

It's very rare for me to start watching a movie and then give up part-way through; I generally choose my movies carefully enough to maintain at least enough interest to finish. But an hour into Usual Suspects, I just gave up. I knew there was a big twist at the end, but the characters were so dull and the plot so convoluted that I could sense I wouldn't really care. So, I read the spoiler. Oh, whoo-hoo: I don't give a hot damn who Keyser Soze is. Conclusion: nowhere near as good as Seven.

Prideandprejudice-movieposter.jpg

Now this, on the other hand, is a great film. Keira is wonderful, as is the dude. Bonus: the snivelly Mr. Collins is played by the guy who menaces Keira and Co. in Pirates: DMC! A delightful treat of a movie, with visuals to match any Star Wars or LOTR epic and two seriously babe-ific ladies. This one I'll gladly watch full through any day.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
usual.jpg

It's very rare for me to start watching a movie and then give up part-way through; I generally choose my movies carefully enough to maintain at least enough interest to finish. But an hour into Usual Suspects, I just gave up. I knew there was a big twist at the end, but the characters were so dull and the plot so convoluted that I could sense I wouldn't really care. So, I read the spoiler. Oh, whoo-hoo: I don't give a hot damn who Keyser Soze is. Conclusion: nowhere near as good as Seven.

pride-and-prejudice-poster-300.jpg

Now this, on the other hand, is a great film. Keira is wonderful, as is the dude. Bonus: the snivelly Mr. Collins is played by the guy who menaces Keira and Co. in Pirates: DMC! A delightful treat of a movie, with visuals to match any Star Wars or LOTR epic and two seriously babe-ific ladies. This one I'll gladly watch full through any day.

Well see the problem is that the reason you found it dull was because you were doing valium while watching it

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's official, Gaith is Broken :lol: :p

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also was put into sleep by Usual Suspects, only to wake up on the final scene...

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hate The Usual Suspects too. Mind-bogglingly overrated film. All flash and no purpose.
Not sure why you would want to compare it to Se7en, though. What's the connection?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, Dean Ebert didn't like it either, giving it a paltry one-and-a-half stars:
Roger Ebert said:
When I went to see it again in July, I came armed with a notepad and a determination not to let crucial plot points slip by me. Once again, my comprehension began to slip, and finally I wrote down: "To the degree that I do understand, I don't care." It was, however, somewhat reassuring at the end of the movie to discover that I had, after all, understood everything I was intended to understand. It was just that there was less to understand than the movie at first suggests.

To the degree that you will want to see this movie, it will be because of the surprise, and so I will say no more, except to say that the "solution," when it comes, solves little - unless there is really little to solve, which is also a possibility.
The whole thing's a mere shaggy dog story, without wit, compelling characters, but, hey! You get Stephen Baldwin.

Pass, thanks. :razz:

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
I hate [strikeout:z2n4bk56]The Usual Suspects[/strikeout:z2n4bk56] J.J. Abrams' Star Trek too. Mind-bogglingly overrated film. All flash and no purpose.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p Even more fitting would be Transformers 2. Wow, what a horrible movie.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
I hate The Usual Suspects too. Mind-bogglingly overrated film. All flash and no purpose.
Not sure why you would want to compare it to Se7en, though. What's the connection?
Both are stylized and talky crime films featuring third-act reveals in which we're surprised to learn that (spoilers) Kevin Spacey is the killer. :wink:

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ripplin, that's not what I mean by flash. I mean narrative flashiness. Nothing to do with effects. The Star Trek script (despite some trekkies' disdain) actually handles real themes and concepts, and isn't very flashy at all about anything but effects. Narrative flashiness needs story, as badly as effects-driven films needs it, to succeed. Pulp Fiction managed this, for instance. The Usual Suspects, on the other hand, reduces itself to nothing through faux-clever plot twists, and is the M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" of 1990s crime thrillers.

Gaith, I do see the Spacey connection. I just think they're very different films. Thank god. :)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, I take that back. As much as I hate M. Night Shyamalan - and I do, I even hate The Sixth Sense - The Usual Suspects is much worse than The Village. The Village actually did have a story, even if it was twist-based crappe of the highest order.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
It's very rare for me to start watching a movie and then give up part-way through; I generally choose my movies carefully enough to maintain at least enough interest to finish. But an hour into Usual Suspects, I just gave up.

silverfox.gif

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched The Book of Eli.

Decent movie, was entertained throughout and it's a very interesting movie visually. I watched it with an eye towards a purchase if I liked it enough that I thought it would be worth watching thunderclap's recent edit, but I don't think I'd bother watching it a second time. Oh well.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I may have to get someone to forward that to me, as Best Buy doesn't ship to Canada. I did that with the Alien Nation TV movie pack, which is also a stinkin' Best Buy exclusive. :razz:

Top Bottom