• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
not seen it, but really that bad???

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kevinicus said:
Why limit Sharktale to one of the worst by Dreamworks? Hell, why limit it to animation?
Point taken... it really is one gigantic piece of horsesh*t, that's for damn sure. :p

nOmArch said:
not seen it, but really that bad???
Yes. It's that god-damn bad, dude. :|

As a sidenote, I had no expectations about Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs when I saw the trailers for it last year. But after some people I knew recommmended it, I rented it this week, and holy crap, this is a pretty damn good movie. In fact, I'd rank it as one of the best animated films to come out last year (after Coraline, Fantasic Mr. Fox, and Secret of Kells) and definitely the funniest and "purest" comedy of them all (which shocked the hell out of me, considering this is Sony and the last animated film they came out with was Planet 51, another piece of uninspired bullcrap :p ).

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ive been meaning to watch that one for a while as well, in fact its the only animated movie out recently that i havent seen. will add it to the queue.

still to make it all the way through coraline though, i really want to like it (i absolutely adore Gaimen) but everytime ive tried so far ive got about 20 mins in and just not been in the right mood for it.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
Ive been meaning to watch that one for a while as well, in fact its the only animated movie out recently that i havent seen. will add it to the queue.

still to make it all the way through coraline though, i really want to like it (i absolutely adore Gaimen) but everytime ive tried so far ive got about 20 mins in and just not been in the right mood for it.

I absolutely hated Coraline. So did the other 7 people I watched it with.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WALL·E is the best Pixar film ever made, and one of my all-time favourite films.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghostcut said:
WALL·E is the best Pixar film ever made, and one of my all-time favourite films.

I concur, Ratatouille is a close second with UP just behind that. I like PIXARS other efforts but they have really hit their stride over the last few years.

Wall-E is straight up fantastic - even if the second half is "less good" than the first.

Incidentally, my cats name is Wall-E. Its so great to see the text "Wall-E" written on his medicine :lol:

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
As a sidenote, I had no expectations about Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs when I saw the trailers for it last year. But after some people I knew recommmended it, I rented it this week, and holy crap, this is a pretty damn good movie. In fact, I'd rank it as one of the best animated films to come out last year (after Coraline, Fantasic Mr. Fox, and Secret of Kells) and definitely the funniest and "purest" comedy of them all (which shocked the hell out of me, considering this is Sony and the last animated film they came out with was Planet 51, another piece of uninspired bullcrap :p ).

I was actually looking forward to Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs but was rather disappointed with it. I mean it's an okay movie but nowhere near great. I'd say it's okay as a rental but that's about it. I didn't really care for Coraline either. I haven't seen Fantastic Mr. Fox but I hate the animation so that's why I didn't see it. Never heard of Secrets Of Kells though. I did however enjoy Planet 51.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny: the subject of an AV Club My Year of Flops review:

During my second, tragically sober viewing, it struck me as a semi-desperate attempt to pad 30 minutes' worth of film and a smattering of truly funny lines and gags into 94 exceedingly loose minutes. Inspired and puerile, intermittently funny and a little desperate, Pick Of Destiny is probably the best possible film that could have been made about Tenacious D, but it still doesn't feel like a real movie
I've not seen it, but what say my fellow fan editors? Are there 30 minutes of funny, clear narrative progression to justify a repair job?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
(Copy past from the Movie thread:)

Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adele Blanc-Sec
The new Luc Besson movie (as a director)

adele_blanc_sec.jpg

Spoiler free little review:

Saw this one yesterday and I found it very good.
It's a very positive movie. Meaning family friendly, but in a good sens, aka not only kids friendly.
Luc Besson took a little bit of Jean-Pierre Jeunet style from time to time (Amelie style), a little bit of Spielberg (the introduction of the lead female character is very Indiana Jones style, in a Temple Of Doom kind of way).
So it's more Luc Besson playing with the source material (a comic boolk) to have fun with it than a very ambitious movie.
It is not a masterpiece but VERY entertaining.

The CGI looks good overall. Sometime they are not amazing but still have charms (the story is not grounded in reality so it don't matter much IMO.)

Louise bourgoin is very good in the lead role. She really can go from comic to emotional scenes very easily.
Mathieu Amalric, although he is credited as a major character, don't have much screening time overall.

If they do more adventures od Adele Blanc-Sec I will see them with pleasure.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
Ghostcut said:

I concur, Ratatouille is a close second with UP just behind that. I like PIXARS other efforts but they have really hit their stride over the last few years.

Wall-E is straight up fantastic - even if the second half is "less good" than the first.

Incidentally, my cats name is Wall-E. Its so great to see the text "Wall-E" written on his medicine :lol:

I think Pixar has fallen off quite a bit since The Incredibles. I haven't loved any of their movies since then.

I hated Finding Nemo (Albert Brooks should never be involved with movies again), Cars was meh, as was Ratatouille (though better than Cars). Wall-E and Up had moments of excellence, but way too much stupid crap the rest of the time that just brings them down to mediocre levels.

Hopefully Toy Story 3 will be a return to quality.

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
just saw a movie called ´centipede horror´ (original title: ´Wu gong zhou´) from 1984

i read somewhere something about it being ´most disturbing horror flick ever´. maybe it was a hidden classic?

i should have done my research better because that flick seriously sucked wasn´t disturbing nor scary only laughable...

in the end there were centipedes and laughable performances by (to me) unknown asians that acted badly...

don´t watch it!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you watched Run, Bitch Run! yet? if not have a gander and reaffirm your love of dodgy exploitation movies.

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
shit! i completely forgot about that! have to search that flick!

thanks for the reminder, nom

:smile:

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i promise you, you wont be disappointed there's boobs galore and an absolutely fantastic scene towards the end you will not forget.

Death at a Funeral 2007

was recommended this by a friend who said it was great, Frank Oz directed and has quite a few decent actors. kinda fun i guess if youre in the mood for a black comedy version of four weddings. there were a few good bits, couple of laugh out loudmoments but nothing really stood out. if you've got nothing better to do its worth a watch.

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol. a colleague of mine borrowed me that movie 6 months ago. he keeps asking if i watched it but i wasnt in the mood yet

i think the us remake is in the theatres right now...

it has tracy morgan in it but i guess it´s the usual crap version of a european movie...

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fired Up!

large_Fired%20Up.jpg

The Movies can show us strange worlds... worlds in which lonely farm boys rescue space princesses... worlds in which the bad guys always miss and the heroes never die... and, just sometimes, they show us worlds in which high schoolers look like late 20-somethings, and impeccably sexy girls will smile at and French kiss you at the oldest and simplest of cheesy lines.

Caught this on Netflix streaming, and I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoyed it. It's not anywhere as insightful as, say, Superbad, but while I was disturbed by that flick's casual dancing in and out of reality, this one is in fantasyland the whole time, and I respect it for that.

Good clean fun for those who think "poor man's Wedding Crashers in a late-20s high school" sounds amusing. Thank goodness Netflix streamed the unrated cut, with its surprisingly witty dialog between the two rather engaging leads (there's references to Fraggle Rock and Yakkety-Yak. What's not to like? :))

B-. Hot Rod it ain't, but it's a decent if inferior companion piece.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've yet to see UP or Ratatouille, but for my money, no production company/creative group has churned out such consistently high-quality movies, animated or otherwise, as Pixar. Of all their offerings that I have seen, only A Bug's Life was a disappointment.
Perhaps it's also the father in me, but Finding Nemo is simply a fantastic movie. It is a great adventure, it is heart-warming, fantastic message, and wonderfully executed story-telling. And as a father, few movies hit me more than watching this with my two boys.
Cars, while not quite as well-rounded, is great fun and hits the mark for it's targeted group, children.

And WALL*E? That is pure awesomeness from the opening scene through the final credits.

I've heard nothing but great things about UP, but I still can't find myself to watch Ratatouille as it just does not look interesting in any manner. But as it is a Pixar movie, I will give it a go eventually. Again, with their batting average, I have to give them a chance every time.

Toy Story = Awesome
A Bugs Life = Really f'ing boring
Toy Story 2 = Fantastic sequel that nearly surpasses the original
Monsters Inc = Awesome with heart (The final "Kitty" gets me every time)
Finding Nemo = See above :)
The Incredibles = fantastic mash-up of genres
Cars = Good, tiny bit long, but still a winner
Ratatouille = never saw
WALL*E = wonderful
Up = never saw

Seriously, what studio can boast a track record like that?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
Perhaps it's also the father in me, but Finding Nemo is simply a fantastic movie. It is a great adventure, it is heart-warming, fantastic message, and wonderfully executed story-telling. And as a father, few movies hit me more than watching this with my two boys.
+1 (except I have one girl rather than two boys)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
absolutely go and watch Ratatouille as soon as possible, after Wall-E its my second favourite Pixar flick and thats pretty high praise considering their back catalogue.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
glad to see someone else loves Ratatouille, I can understand where it would seem like a uninteresting story since by comparison its not much of an adventure tale. but its a damn good movie.
Patton Oswalt is pitch perfect for Remy the rat, and the story is more adult than most animated movies - even other Pixar films.

Top Bottom