• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Aimee Mann. I love Paul Thomas Anderson. And I love Magnolia. It’s not a movie I can rewatch often but I love it. And I’m squarely with Ebert on this one.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Polygon has a very long and solid profile of Chronicle director Josh Trank, from his early attempts to break into the industry to the Fant4stic fiasco to his Al Capone biopic starring Tom Hardy, which will be released digitally this week. It's clear Trank is passionate about directing, and a hard worker; what's not clear is whether Chronicle was a fluke, or if he's an artist who has substantive things to say and communicate through the medium of film. This Capone project sounds as though it could be a form of self-promotion - a self-reflecting, "look how far this great man has fallen, and what indignities he's had to endure" flick that just happens to be about a cold-blooded murderer. Or, maybe it's genuinely great. We'll see?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Those old R1 flipper DVDs seem to be great transfers. A recent one looked nearly blu-ray on a modest upscaling TV. Maybe it's that the flipper format takes more skill and knowledge to produce/master, so the people who make them happen to be ones who actually care about the way it looks... or I've just made a few lucky purchases?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Who says we're living in difficult times?! :p

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Diane Lane would've made a good Lois Lane when she was young.

No, not because of her surname.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I think Diane Lane would've made a good Lois Lane when she was young.

No, not because of her surname.

Diane Lane would make a good anything at any point of her life. :p

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Diane Lane would make a good anything at any point of her life. :p

(though that's not her vocals)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Streets of Fire is a masterpiece. Or at least I'm just a big fan.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I should watch Streets of Fire again. I remember it being narratively square but aesthetically boss.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I should watch Streets of Fire again. I remember it being narratively square but aesthetically boss.

The narrative does pretty much totally grind to a half halfway through, and while there's indeed lots of great aesthetics, after a movie full of nothing but night, Sin City-style, the movie's action climax takes place during the day for no good reason, and that alone just about sinks the flick for me overall. (Maybe the literal million-dollar tarp covering the entire set was breaking down by that point? Hard to say without watching the docs on the blu ray.) Also, the lead actor is terrible, and the treatment of the black characters is downright cringey. There's a lot to like, including two A+ Jim Steinman songs, but overall, it's a mess. The podcast Best Bad Movie Ever did a super-fun ep tearing it apart, though, so, there's that.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I listened to an episode of The Rewatchables podcast today on Back to the Future. I only now realize, hours later, that it was not an episode of the podcast Rewatchability. Looking back, I now recall that some of the recurring bits were a tad different, but the number and tone of the hosts was nigh indistinguishable, though I guess The Rewatchables isn't Canadian. In short: there sure are whole lot of late 30s/early 40s white dudes podcasting about movies of the 80s and 90s. :p

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shallow Hal should be remade as a magic realist romantic drama played completely straight, without any of the loathsome fat jokes. I'd cast Henry Cavill and Jennifer Lawrence in the starring roles.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There should have been an Ernest P Worrell movie called (whether it was actually an adaptation or not) "The Importance of Being Ernest". I'm surprised they didn't do that.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw Smaug on the Lonely Mountain today.

E2-EE6831-61-B7-4-A47-9715-D01-F8836-FB88.jpg

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For some reason I'm trying to think of movies where the villain is coming closer and closer to the characters, with tension rising, and in the climax the villain finally comes. I can't think of anything other than the Hobbit movies (mostly Azog in 1, Bolg kinda in 2, The Orc Armies in 3 but less so of course)

But I'm 100% sure there are other movies and the villain is terrifying, and you are dreading that the villain is going to find/catch up to the main characters... But what was it? I can't remember!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Er... the Terminator series? Any slasher film/franchise?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:

Terminator is a good example but that’s not what I was thinking about I think... can’t be sure

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Gaith said:

Terminator is a good example but that’s not what I was thinking about I think... can’t be sure

Sounds like you were describing the concept of a "chase scene". Are you trying to recall a specific movie or project with a chase? Trouble is, without more details, it could be anything. Two extreme examples I can think of would be Mad Max Fury Road and Blue Yoda's Chasing Trinity "short" edit which combines a lot of scenes and may help you identify the one you want.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No Country for Old Men comes to mind

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not one for digitally renting movies, I'm a bit of a Luddite who still prefers to own things forever, especially when movies are offered for rental prices barely lower than the cost to buy them outright, or to see at the cinema...  but I've noticed Amazon Prime has a nice selection of 99p ($1.24) for 48-hrs rental movies, not rubbish either, quality films in nice HD transfers. That's the kind of price I don't mind paying.

Top Bottom