• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen the cover for this movie on blu-ray.com and wondered what it was about. It looks like one of the movies insane movies ever made, and only maybe mildly in a good way.

Come on, though, this tie-in song/video is amazing. Fair is fair!

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen Justice League only once and though it is a terrible movie, I remembered how much I enjoyed Ezra Miller's Flash. Maybe I could give it a rewatch sometime just for that.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really want animated movies of Superman Lives and Batman Triumphant/Unchained.
The animated movies have dealt with alternate universe stories, and have also dealt with legacy versions of characters. I'm sure Nicholas Cage would love to do them (he was set to play Superman, and I believe also the Scarecrow). They might even be able to get Michael Keaton, he's still acting.
But is there any demand for these stories to see the light of day?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
726571_v2.jpg

726569_v2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------​

I don't see how either a white Welsh actor playing a white Spanish character in Spanish-ruled Mexico or a white Spanish actor playing a character who could very plausibly also have been of white Spanish parentage is whitewashing, but I otherwise fully approve of this hearty endorsement of one of my favorite films:

(And while I could offer a very limited defense of The Legend of Zorro, I'm just as happy to see it cheerfully ignored. :p)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I just learned they made a SECOND Black Christmas remake.

Hollywood is a flacid, impotent joke.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My kids are watching the truly terrible Home Alone 3 and I’m barely paying attention. But I just looked up and noticed that the sister is played by a very young Scarlett Johansson.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know sometimes I feel like I get influenced by other people’s opinions too much and am still unable to form my own opinions.

Then I am reminded of how much I unironically love The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and everyone else is wrong and no one can ever change my mind :D

And yes I’m feeling like this because of Nostalgia Critic’s new review

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went through a phase of watching Nostalgia Critic stuff. Not when it was new. At some point it started to bug me and I stopped. I wasn't sure what bugged me though until I had a kid and started putting on Sesame Street.

The Nostalgia Critic is a Grover impression.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I went through a phase of watching Nostalgia Critic stuff. Not when it was new. At some point it started to bug me and I stopped. I wasn't sure what bugged me though until I had a kid and started putting on Sesame Street.

The Nostalgia Critic is a Grover impression.

LOL that is uncanny! I still enjoy his stuff, old and new (comedy is subjective) plus he sometimes points out some good criticism. I know people don't like his stuff anymore, but I dunno

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll only watch the Nostalgia Critic again if he reviews Stargate, and then only to gauge the depth of his "analysis".

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He got mad at Fantastic Four because they didn't fight crime. That's when I gave up.

His Adam Sandler song is kinda catchy though, and it pops in my head sometimes

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
He got mad at Fantastic Four because they didn't fight crime. That's when I gave up.

Well I mean... He's not wrong :D

It's kinda like how in Ang Lee's Hulk he didn't smash enough. Now okay admittedly Fantastic Four is much better than Hulk '03. Ugh. The slowest pacing ever, the completely inconsistent tone & style... What a complete mess of a movie.

I think the Tim Story Fantastic Four films get a bad wrap anyway. They weren't very good of course, but they certainly weren't bad either. I've been thinking of making a 2-in-1 standalone edit of those films for a while now.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Now okay admittedly Fantastic Four is much better than Hulk '03. Ugh. The slowest pacing ever, the completely inconsistent tone & style... What a complete mess of a movie.

You mean a sober, downbeat meditation on inter-generational violence and trauma, paired with a critique of the military-industrial complex, isn't a great fit for gimmicky, gee-whiz split-screen montages designed to evoke the inherent silliness of comic books?! :p

I've wondered if that sort of editing style might actually work in, say, an MCU flick. First Class used something similar to pretty neat effect, but only during a training montage. We'll see... unless we don't, I guess.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But the thing is, the Fantastic Four were never about fighting crim. Not just that, but most modern Superhero movies featuring no crime fighting aside from big villains. It's not a fair critique. I love both 2000s Fantastic Four movies. Arguments can be made for their flaws, but this isn't one of them.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Masirimso17 said:
Now okay admittedly Fantastic Four is much better than Hulk '03. Ugh. The slowest pacing ever, the completely inconsistent tone & style... What a complete mess of a movie.

You mean a sober, downbeat meditation on inter-generational violence and trauma, paired with a critique of the military-industrial complex, isn't a great fit for gimmicky, gee-whiz split-screen montages designed to evoke the inherent silliness of comic books?! :p

Bingo ;) plus Hulk dogs, weird superpowers and silly action :D I should give it a rewatch because I haven't really tried to understand the story fully tbh, I was 14 or something and I was bored out of my mind lol.

But I absolutely loved Tomahawk's Incredible Hulk Extended Edition which is also a slow paced, character driven Hulk movie which worked for me (IT WAS MUCH MORE BALANCED THO). Not to be confused with the theatrical cut which is a barebones Zak Penn first draft version of the same story, which is decent but not as good as the Ed Norton rewrite in my opinion.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
But the thing is, the Fantastic Four were never about fighting crim. Not just that, but most modern Superhero movies featuring no crime fighting aside from big villains. It's not a fair critique. I love both 2000s Fantastic Four movies. Arguments can be made for their flaws, but this isn't one of them.

I guess so but I suppose what Mr. Walker meant in his review is not that they don't fight thugs or save people or whatever like Superman or Spider-Man, but that there isn't much agency in the movie because all they do is quarrel with each other or try to be normal again until (and during) Dr. Doom's revenge. However it's been a while since I last saw them, so until I rewatch them for my eventual 2-in-1 edit, I'll take your word for it ;)

But really it isn't until Rise of the Silver Surfer that they do what they should be doing, which is use their science and powers to protect Earth from extra-terrestrial/inter-dimensional threats, while also trying to be a family. Come to think of it I always liked Silver Surfer. It's not the most logical or best written superhero movie by a long shot, but it's a fun kids/family movie with a good enough message and high enough stakes. You can't go wrong with that :D

I'm pretty sure if Silver Surfer released today within the MCU, it would get good reviews and be ranked alongside Marvel movies like Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Thor 1, Captain America 1, etc.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Bingo ;) plus Hulk dogs, weird superpowers and silly action :D I should give it a rewatch because I haven't really tried to understand the story fully tbh, I was 14 or something and I was bored out of my mind lol.

Nah, just watch Oliver Harper's review. I first saw the movie at about the same age, and from what I recall, it's exactly as he says it is. :p

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used to be obsessed with this movie. I dug up an old promotional shirt for it from when my mother worked at the movie theater, and I would wear it all the time, and talk about the movie all the time. I didn't care much for the movie, but I liked to pretend and tell others that it was fine art.

Top Bottom