• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Room, Troll 2, and Birdemic are easy call outs.

Mad props for Gymkata and Teen Witch though.

Top that.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I'm considering watching The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.

Don't do that to yourself. Watch Spookies instead.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This poster for a Polish crime movie 'Psy 3: W Imie Zasad' (aka 'Dogs 3') which is playing at my local cinema looks rude for some reason...? :D

psy-3-plakat_uk.jpg

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I've started listening to the Best Bad Movie Ever podcast, and it's a lot of fun, with a distinct Cracked.com vibe from back when they still had their in-house talent. As a huge hater of Brad Bird's truly execrable Tomorrowland, therefore, I was apprehensive about listening to the episode on the same, for fear that any defense of it would drive me up the wall. Happily, however, the gang - who all repeatedly and earnestly profess to like the movie - go very deep into its WTF-ery, particularly with regards to George Clooney being a violent hermit in love with a robot preadolescent girl. It's a damn fine listen, is what I'm saying.

tomorrowland_poster.jpg

No, but seriously, this movie is hot garbage.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I saw Lon Chaney walking with the Queen, doing the Werewolves of London.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If the Guild Navigators make an appearance in Villeneuve's Dune, they should resemble the talking fish from Maelström.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I was a kid and watching through the Halloween movies, I was obsessed with the idea of Michael Myers being redeemed and turning good. Whichever movie starts with him in a coma being taken care of by an old hermit, I was expecting them to become friends, but then they didn't. I've just been thinking about this again lately.
Now that I'm older and I realize how bad the sequels are (based on memories, I haven't actually watched them since then, except for 6,which is horrible), I think it would've been more interesting to have a plot like that, though I definitely don't think it's an especially good idea.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
When I was a kid and watching through the Halloween movies, I was obsessed with the idea of Michael Myers being redeemed and turning good. Whichever movie starts with him in a coma being taken care of by an old hermit, I was expecting them to become friends, but then they didn't. I've just been thinking about this again lately.
Now that I'm older and I realize how bad the sequels are (based on memories, I haven't actually watched them since then, except for 6,which is horrible), I think it would've been more interesting to have a plot like that, though I definitely don't think it's an especially good idea.

Michael being an unfathomable boogeyman is what makes him interesting. Humanize him and he'll become boring.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Eh, speaking as one who's only seen (a fan edit of) DGG's legacy sequel, the boogeyman isn't particularly interesting for more than a half hour or so, either. IMHO. :p

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
jrWHAG42 said:

Michael being an unfathomable boogeyman is what makes him interesting. Humanize him and he'll become boring.

Agreed, but if the movies are going to get bad anyways, why not take a new direction? Well, actually, I take it back. Thinking about it more, this is a terrible idea. Child me wouldn't understand.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ Eh, speaking as one who's only seen (a fan edit of) DGG's legacy sequel, the boogeyman isn't particularly interesting for more than a half hour or so, either. IMHO. :p

Michael's certainly not a villain with a long shelf life. Which is why most of the sequels are worthless.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I made some of those "Chapaguri" Ramyun noodles from 'Parasite' last night. They are as good as they look in the movie :) .

1 Pack Nongshim Chapagetti (black bean Ramyun) + 1 Pack Nongshim Neoguri (Spicy Seafood Ramyun) + Sirloin Steak (I went with marbled Rib Eye) = Chapaguri

I didn't precut the steak, I cooked it as normal, rested it and sliced it on top of the noodles. I also added sliced spring onions on top. A meal you can make in literally 5-10mins.

I don't have any Korean stores near me but I could get the Chapagetti and Neoguri from Amazon.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F926313f3-059f-42ce-9bf6-6fd50be1f402_1000x563.jpeg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I fancied re-watching the LotR trilogy over the weekend (not seen them in ages) but I'd forgotten quite how terrible the smeary upscaled Theatrical blu-rays are and how offensively awful the re-grading on the EE blu-rays is. I've ordered some old Region-1 dual-layer DVDs of the Theatrical cuts from eBay, to see if they look any better.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I thought only the Fellowship EE was aggressively re-graded? And surely the theatrical DVDs can't possibly look better than theatrical blus...?! :)

RogueLeader

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I made some of those "Chapaguri" Ramyun noodles from 'Parasite' last night. They are as good as they look in the movie :) .

Definitely agree! I tried it a second time this past week, this time adding beef. It is delicious, especially considering how quick it was to prepare. I actually cut my steak first and then cooked the pieces. I'll have to try it your way next time!

Some of my friends have said Chapaguri has become even more popular in Korea these days than it was before the film released, reaching its height during Parasite's Oscar season. Not only is it a great and easy meal, but the dish itself ties into the themes of class in the movie, as Director Bong talks about in this LA Times article:
Bong said he came up with the steak-on-a-pile-of-instant noodles as a way of showing how the wealthy housewife wanted to please her young son but how she also regarded jjapaguri as food for commoners.

“This is something kids like, regardless of the rich or the poor,” Bong explained via email. “But the rich wife couldn’t stand her kid to eat this cheap noodle so she adds sirloin topping.”

The article goes into why it is referred to as "Ramdon" in the film, as well. Bong had incredible attention to detail in this film, and this is a great (and tasty) example of that!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ I thought only the Fellowship EE was aggressively re-graded?

It's just FotR then? Great, I've seen some fan regrades, I'll investigate one of those. Thanks.

Gaith said:
surely the theatrical DVDs can't possibly look better than theatrical blus...?! :)

They might not but it's possible they could. A carefully mastered DVD can look great. They couldn't look worse than the blu-rays :D .

Top Bottom