• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Random movie thoughts

New rules for studios/home media retailers:

1) No film, whether blu, 4K or whatever, shall be priced at more than $20, even if it includes a digital copy/dvd/whatever. (Exception: a 3D blu ray film may be priced no more than $25, and must include a regular blu and digital copy.) Also: no digital-only copy of a film shall be priced more than $15, ever.

2) No film over five years old shall be priced more than $15.

3) No film over ten years old shall be priced more than $10.

(Exceptions to rules #2 and #3 may be made when the film requires significant restoration work, or features lots of brand-new supplementary content.) Any questions, feel free to PM.

Hugs!
Gaith

:p

(Exceptions to rules #2 and #3 may be made when the film requires significant restoration work, or features lots of brand-new supplementary content.)

You knew someone would bring up criterion.... :')

Exception rule #1 for 4k 50% discount if you can provide proof of purchase of the VHS/Laser Disc or VCD/DVD and bluray.

Incidentally I have Black Rain on VCD, nothing to play it on though :(  and could satisfy this rule if it wasn't for the VHS getting binned. Pity the films not all that.

I was reading about the old Bug's life 4:3 release on Wikipedia:

The DVD was released on April 20, 1999... which was presented in a standard 1.33:1 “fullscreen” format. The movie’s fullscreen transfer was performed by entirely “reframing” the film shot by shot; more than half of the film’s footage was modified by Pixar animators in order for them to fit within the film’s aspect ratio, with several characters and objects being moved closer together in order to avoid being cut out of frame.

Pretty cool and unusual that Pixar put such care into making sure the film looked good on old TVs by animating a different version of the movie. I'm going to keep any eye out for an old 4:3 DVD just for the uniqueness.

Hot off the presses... Duncan Jones is making a Rogue Trooper film!!

https://2000ad.com/post/3755

Looks like Jones cut his hair and dyed it blue like Rogue just for a fun announcement. Respect.

Somebody already did a what-if fanart drawing of John Boyega as Rogue:

DiPo9UMX4AAPTE8.jpg

A "who is Rogue Trooper" video:

Hopefully everyone actually goes to see this one... unlike with 2012's 'Dredd'.

TM2YC said:

I've never heard of Rogue Trooper but after watching that video I'm looking into finding the comic so I can read it, thanks for sharing.  I hope the movie turns out well.  I'm a fan of Duncan Jones even though I didn't much care for Warcraft and I haven't watched his Netflix movie yet.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) - Noir comedy homage starring Steve Martin. Alongside what's filmed, it incorporates footage from 18 other movies in total  - technically a fanedit?

image.jpg

Happy 20th anniversary to one of the greatest adventure/Californian history/pulp hero films of all time, 1998's The Mask of Zorro! Everyone is invited to come over to my house tonight for an HD projected screening of the film, Mexican food and drink, and dancing - if I had a house to do all that in, that is. I can't even watch my blu or HD copy of the movie tonight, as I have other plans (*sigh*). Well, maybe in 2023, for the 25th Anniversary... which'll be a Monday, damnit. Oh, well, I'll still totally throw a Zorro party that weekend.

But, seriously, this film is an absolute classic, and it pains me that it's not getting tributes across the geekosphere, an Honest Trailer (not even an Oliver Harper retrospective!), and big-screen screenings this week.

Oh, well, at least there's this (from what I remember, quite good) doc from the home release:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go carve some Zs on the walls of certain banks, DC federal buildings, and for-profit prisons. Where are you, Zorro?! We need Good Hombres like you more than ever...

slekyr said:
TM2YC said:

I've never heard of Rogue Trooper but after watching that video I'm looking into finding the comic so I can read it, thanks for sharing.

You are in luck! 2000ad have just put up the first Rogue Trooper story to download and keep for free, with no DRM or nothing (click link on the following page to get the *.pdf):

http://2000ad.com/post/3779

^ With amazing artwork by Dave Gibbons of 'Watchman' fame. Also includes some other really good short stories from later in the run. :)

TM2YC said:
You are in luck! 2000ad have just put up the first Rogue Trooper story to download and keep for free, with no DRM or nothing (click link on the following page to get the *.pdf):

http://2000ad.com/post/3779

^ With amazing artwork by Dave Gibbons of 'Watchman' fame. Also includes some other really good short stories from later in the run. :)

You're amazing. Downloaded and read, that was cool.  Looking forward to the film even more now and looking to get more of the series.

Sure, the ending to Return of the King, where the Elves and others leave for the Grey Havens, is pretty touching, and the Annie Lennox song is pretty decent. But, just imagine if Jackson had incorporated this track:

Gaith said:
Sure, the ending to Return of the King, where the Elves and others leave for the Grey Havens, is pretty touching, and the Annie Lennox song is pretty decent. But, just imagine if Jackson had incorporated this track:

artworks-000158672079-0gbvsi-t500x500.jpg

PSB are my jam.

Let us, one and all, gather around the YouTube fire and take a moment to remember one of the biggest movies about the American Revolution ever made, starring Mr. Pacino himself, and which has been almost completely forgotten:

So I'm watching 1997's L.A. Confidential on Netflix, and one of the movie's/Spacey's first lines is

Untitled.jpg

Which... yeah. Anyhow, still a very good movie.

It's not often I find myself imagining potential sequels to standalone films, however, now I'm thinking of all the possibilities for a 'The Social Network' sequel.

The original only covers Facebook's foundation and rise, we never see it become the monster it is today. Jesse Eisenberg testifying before the senate would be an incredible watch.

Unfortunately, the Young Turks-related YouTube channel What the Flick?! has been canceled, replaced by a podcast I don't intend on following. The show/channel wasn't perfect, and they were often concerned with being PC to a fault, but Christy Lemire was always a delight, I was always interested to hear what Alonso Duralde had to say, and Ben Mankiewicz is just plain awesome. I, for one, will miss their voice.

001.jpg

Gaith said:
They were often concerned with being PC to a fault

A show run by "The Young Turks", a channel named after the perpetrators of genocide, don't exactly strike me as "PC to a fault".
I earned a Masters at SJWU, and I'll have you know I find this very un-PC. ;)

I have zero idea how this thought came to cross my mind, but: I never did see Shanghai Knights.

51DJF8GBxfL._SY445_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom