• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I noticed that my local multiplex isn't even offering 3D screenings of 'Wonder Woman' and POTC5 only had a token 2 screenings that are not in 2D (out of 12). Finally, I think 3D's long-predicted reign of terror is coming to an end :D .

3D looks better on my 3D TV-Screen (with active 3D glasses) than on most movie theaters from my town's area anyway.
I LOVE 3D but even when it's well used in movies the theaters experience is more than often a letdown.
That's why, more and more, I'll go watch movies in 2D then, if I really like it, I can buy the 3D bluray.
I'm in the minority but I think 3D at home is the way to go. There you can adjust the depth and the lightness for a good experience.
I just watched Scott's Exodus in 3D bluray (cheap buy) and I think it added a lot to an overall okayish movie. If I saw it in theater I'm sure either the picture would have been too dark, or the 2 pictures not perfectly aligned the proper way, etc...

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I noticed that my local multiplex isn't even offering 3D screenings of 'Wonder Woman' and POTC5 only had a token 2 screenings that are not in 2D (out of 12). Finally, I think 3D's long-predicted reign of terror is coming to an end :D .
I think the proliferation of IMAX, or what passes for IMAX, cinemas is why the regular multiplexes have dropped 3D. It was a fad, date night doesn't want glasses, so why bother.

But for those that do want to see the film in all it's glory, they will seek out IMAX. I know I do, and when I have I've enjoyed the 3D immensely. My wife, she couldn't care less, so she's happy on date night with good old 2D, ten minutes from the house.
Please, no jokes about the D and my wife  :cool:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It'll never happen but... I'd be happy to pay the increased 3D prices for 35mm showings, rather than digital. When people can easily have 4K at home, the cinemas need to be offering something more. People will have 8k, 12K, even IMAX TVs one day but 35mm is something that will never be available for widespread home viewing. On the entertainment battlefield, it's something that TV could never compete with but sadly cinemas decommissioned their 35mm weaponry long ago :D .

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched Alfred Hitchcock's "Spellbound". Man is that guy edgey. I cringed twice near the end
when Peck's character remembers accidently killing his brother and the first-person perspective suicide...yikes!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

I spoke too soon(ish)... At the same multiplex, all the screenings of the new Apes film are in 3D for the first 3-days to try and force people into seeing it in 3D. After that it's a third 3D for 3 days, then only one daily 3D screening for 3 days, then no 3D screenings after that.

#Darkestbeforethedawn  :D

(By the way, out of 55 screenings of the Spider-Man film, only one is in 3D)

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
With justice league coming out next year a thought just occured to me .if it does well at the box office the planned sequel they rumored was flashpoint ,so my point was flashpoint as you know is about flash creating a alternate timeline with thomas wayne being batman.so with jefferey dean morgan playing thomas wayne in batman vs superman ,do you think he will reprise his role as thomas wayne and become batman? if not who do you think would be perfect for role?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I regret to inform everyone that, according to former AV Club writer Nathan Rabin, the PG-13 Michael Shannon-starring Furry-themed Christmas/Bigfoot sex farce Pottersville, a movie that actually exists, is, remarkably, not only bad, but boring as heck, to boot.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy moly, the new 4K Blu-ray T2 release, from the 3D conversion Cameron did earlier this year, is dark (and sometimes green-tinted) as heck!

1360_3.jpg

16359_9.jpg

1360_2.jpg

16359_32.jpg

1360_1.jpg

16359_37.jpg

!!!

1360_9.jpg

16359_10.jpg

!!!!!!!

DO NOT WANT. I'll happily stick with my original blu release over this one, thanks very much.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. That looks shameful. 

What the pickle happened?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ My only kind guess is that, while testing the 3D conversion, Cameron found the images lost emotional punch or looked silly when converted to stereo without a corresponding editorial tint. Dunno.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought they had made the image brighter to compensate for the 30% loss of brightness 3-d glasses give.  I don't remeber it looking dark at the cinema at all. I'm shocked!

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Hey Mr. Cameron, we're doing the blu-ray release, any suggestions?"

"Fuckin, I dunno, make it look like mud!"

/continuescountingavatarmoney

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm so happy I watched the whole thing and didn't just skip to that time code, holy crap was that worth the wait :')

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brendan-_Fraser-01.jpg

If you're a Brendan Fraser fan who, like me, has wondered what happened to his career in the past fifteen years or so, this GQ profile/interview essay has some answers. Through no fault of his own (so far as I know), Fraser has become a minor meme in MRA circles due in part to a reportedly messy divorce with rumored high alimony payments, but said relationship split is only mentioned in passing here - the main focuses are the many surgeries necessitated by his stunt work, and an alleged (on his part) sexual assault in 2003. It's a good piece, and he seems a decent chap. And on the bright side, his career seems to be  rebounding somewhat. And I, for one, am certainly all in favor of more Fraser on our screens.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why did David Fincher choose to shoot Alien 3 entirely in low angles?

Top Bottom