• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Long unavailable in HD, the Japanese animated film 'Metropolis' is being released on Region-B blu-ray from Eureka Entertainment :) . A limited-steelbook in January and the regular release in March.

It looks beautiful in this new Eureka upload of the trailer...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Kermode...

...is raving about this new trailer...

I can see why, it looks amazing. I've been wanting to see this movie for years and finally it's got a 3-disc blu-ray release.

81qwzrxaP4L._SL1500_.jpg

I'm gonna ask Santa if he can get me a copy :) .

Perhaps we should have an "Unusual and special Blu-Ray/DVD releases" thread?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Perhaps we should have an "Unusual and special Blu-Ray/DVD releases" thread?

Eh.  Maybe for the inevitable centennial edition in 2027.  Double dips in all. 

But in all seriousness, that's awesome.  I've heard about this one for a long while - didn't think it'd ever see the light of day.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
[stuff about Napoleon]

you know, i recently gained a newfound respect for Napoleon.
i watched a bunch of videos from the Khan Academy's History section from the French Revolution to the activities of Napoleon.
defiantly not stuff they went over in high school.
(i'm not embedding this video list, it's just here for reference.)
French Revolution pt 1-4
Napoleon and the Wars of the First - Fourth Coalitions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yogD_-Op4Wc&list=PLAC6B9F15C835224C&index=21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3HxPDH-s7w&list=PLAC6B9F15C835224C&index=22
Napoleon's Penisular Campaigns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALJGz4r_VF0&list=PLAC6B9F15C835224C&index=23
French invasion of Russia (not a shining moment, but still interesting)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ySQvjtAxQ&list=PLAC6B9F15C835224C&index=24
Napoleon forced to abdicate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH6FQhlZn6k&list=PLAC6B9F15C835224C&index=25&t=441s

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mind. Blown., courtesy of N-121973 at The Trek BBS:

If this was supposed to be our past, what happened to hobbits, immortal elves and the fantasy creatures such as goblins, orcs, dragons etc? What might have been interesting if Middle-Earth is our Earth in the distant past is that during the time lapse scene from I want to say 'Return of the King' where Arwen is imagining what life will be like with Aragorn and it shows her by his tomb at various periods, if the last scene had been her standing in a street in our time, supposedly on the site of his tomb, surrounded by cars and other modern things.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Just listened to it. Bleh. 

I mean, you know it's got real problems when Gaith and Throw BOTH agree it's bad.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000242/
Mark Wahlberg's IMDB no longer lists him as producer or star of his Bionic Man remake THE SIX BILLION DOLLAR MAN.

bc03e4566745d221bf2da32df48a9874.gif

Hope it is true.  While I would love to see the SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN return either in a movie or series, Wahlberg is no Colonel Steve Austin.  :p

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Wahlberg is no Colonel Steve Austin.  :p

In most movies Wahlberg is no Wahlberg.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It could be worse. What if actual Steve Austin, wrestler (maybe former wrestler? Idk), played fictional Steve Austin in the inevitable reboot? 

I mean, Dave Bautista is great in Guardians of the Galaxy and The Rock keeps getting roles, it's not that crazy. But it is a terrible idea.  :)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Random movie thought: 10 Cloverfield Lane, which I watched part of last night, might have had the wrong aspect ratio (2.35:1). A 16:9 or even Academy (4:3) frame could have been significantly more effective at conveying the claustrophobia of the bunker. Does the blockbuster-wide frame improperly telegraph the big reveal?

Anyhow, an interesting Kermode rundown of his top five Academy ratio movies of the new millennium. No love for The Good German or The Artist, though the latter at least gets a mention. No mention of Son of Saul, either.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Random movie thought: 10 Cloverfield Lane, which I watched part of last night, might have had the wrong aspect ratio (2.35:1). A 16:9 or even Academy (4:3) frame could have been significantly more effective at conveying the claustrophobia of the bunker. Does the blockbuster-wide frame improperly telegraph the big reveal?

I don't understand any of this.  A narrower field on a TV should make things feel more constrained, not less, and further I don't see how the aspect ratio would telegraph the reveal at all.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone done a The Shining fan edit? All I'd want is the skeletons scene removed. But that scene does need to go.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Has anyone done a The Shining fan edit? All I'd want is the skeletons scene removed. But that scene does need to go.

You can search ifdb. There are 2 or 3. None are a simple fanfix like you want though.

Top Bottom