• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rebel Wilson to star in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" remake.

live_on_this_planet_futurama-gap.jpg

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
According to the Internets, today is the 10th anniversary of the film that taught a generation to dream... and, Zeus help me, I still love its immortal theme song:

Although the fan rap theme by Former Fat Boys is equally great. The track can be purchased here, but this is the best version available on youtube:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Au contraire, mon ami...  I guarantee that if Men in Black 23 indeed doesn't get made, it'll be because the people in charge of MIB think they can make more money doing a straightforward relaunch of that franchise with a cheaper cast they can sign for multiple movies, rather than a jokey one-off they have to share profits from. (Jonah Hill pretty much said as much without quite spelling it out.) So even if you don't want to see MIB 23 (and I for one really do), the forces against it are most certainly not the forces of artistic integrity. (Unless, I guess, one is invested in the artistic seriousness of the MIB franchise.)   :blush:

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
Any thoughts on Bone Tomahawk? The Kurt Russell cannibal horror/wild west movie that could possibly be the greatest thing ever?

Just saw this movie yesterday.  It was definitely a slow-burn western that does have a little more dialogue than needed and probably an easy 20-30 minutes that could be lopped off like a certain characters limbs, but all in all definitely a good movie experience that when it turns to horror, it's quite a horrific situation the characters find themselves in.  I liked it enough to eventually take a stab at giving it a trimming to tighten it up.  If I were to change anything in the execution, I would've added a few more characters to the search party and sprinkled in a little more action before the third act.  Otherwise, for what it was and the budget it had, it's better than a lot of the VOD movies and that is because of the great cast that you root for.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hallelujah! It's finally happening on October 18th, The Marx Brothers are debuting on Blu-Ray :) . Lots of fine brand-new extras too including commentaries for all 5 films. It's labelled as being region-free.

91yVzqhJthL._SL1500_.jpg

918moSEi1fL._SL1500_.jpg

Also the 'Lone Wolf and Cub' film series is finally getting the proper HD treatment from Criterion in November. At $80/£60 it's pretty pricey but check out the awesome artwork, featuring Ogami Ittō and Daigoro atop a mound of their vanquished foes! :cool: (I'm not crazy about the font though)...

914jGjEhbJL._SL1500_.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One of my all time fave director/writer, John Carpenter, comments on the horror movie remake trend and Rob Zombie's Halloween....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVYs5Y_EqSc[/video]

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
One of my all time fave director/writer, John Carpenter, comments on the horror movie remake trend and Rob Zombie's Halloween....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVYs5Y_EqSc[/video]

Love that guy, thanks for sharing. He was on the Bret Easton Ellis podcast earlier this year if you want to hear him talk about modern movies and a lot else for like an hour and a half.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was watching the latest RLM re:View on 'Dawn of the Dead' last night...

...and they open by saying it's out of print worldwide?!? I thought they were joking at first, it turns out they weren't. The Blu-rays are going for stupid prices now on Amazon and eBay. I've had the "Director's Cut" on PAL-DVD for years but never got round to an HD upgrade :( .

The 3-disc Arrow release is now £40-50 but then I noticed this Italy-only 6-disc release from Nicolas Winding Refn is coming out in November and is also about £40-50...

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/193949/dawn-dead-gets-4k-blu-ray-release-italy/

http://www.midnightfactory.it/film/zombi-dawn-of-the-dead#info

I've just pre-ordered a copy. I'm probably most looking forward to the full-frame European cut on blu-ray#3. As far as I know this is the first time that it's been released in HD at all and now it's coming in two aspect-ratios!

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Be almost quicker to simply watch the '78 instead of listening to this duo.
Big guys sounds bored to death - or he's sippin' syrup between takes.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dear Britons,

You've been limiting Dakota Blue Richards to pretty much only British Isles releases ever since The Golden Compass. What gives? Unless her performance there was a fluke, or she's suffered a severe loss of talent, she ought to have landed at least a choice artsy or mainstream role by now. Are a background cop and a pallid 50 Shades of Grey satire (that appears even milder than said target) really the best you can offer her?!

(Actually, everyone in that movie looks over-qualified, down to the extras.)

NB. I've been curious to see more of her acting since before she started to look like this, but especially now that she does, how is she not the next international film It Girl?!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
Be almost quicker to simply watch the '78 instead of listening to this duo.
Big guys sounds bored to death - or he's sippin' syrup between takes.

Is this your first time seeing or hearing of these guys? They're part of the YouTube channel RedLetterMedia, and the guy on the right, Mike, is one of the main guys in the group. He did the famous (here, anyway) Mr. Plinkett's Star Wars reviews. Their schtick is that they're a YouTube channel that talks about movies but they're all somewhat sick of movies and have grown cynical toward them. How much of that is an act and how much is real is blurry. 
Anyway, they've definitely got a type of humor; I love it, but my wife does not.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
and i think the RLM guys really do drink during the show. possibly even between takes, as you suggest.

o7f9PIL.jpg

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
and i think the RLM guys really do drink during the show. possibly even between takes, as you suggest.

except for Rich, whom i can do without.  i don't think he drinks at all.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
1) that reaction gif makes me chuckle.
2) i don't mind him doing characters and obvious bits, but when he starts laughing . . . . . [seething trail off]

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Is this your first time seeing or hearing of these guys? They're part of the YouTube channel RedLetterMedia . . .

Yes, you are correct.  I watch less and less videos nowadays.
Drain too much time.
I did not stick around long enough to realize it was schtick.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
addiesin said:
Is this your first time seeing or hearing of these guys? They're part of the YouTube channel RedLetterMedia . . .

Yes, you are correct.  I watch less and less videos nowadays.
Drain too much time.
I did not stick around long enough to realize it was schtick.

I recommend digging into their channel. Their disgusting flavor of satire is delicious. The TFA review was really lackluster, but some of the other Plinkett reviews are phenomenal. The half-in-the-bag episodes are generally really good.

Top Bottom