• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks like it's gonna be great...

Hamill and Conroy doing the voices and an extended BatGirl prequel/prologue/intro thingy! :) (ETA July 2016)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh happy day!

Ian McKellen's incredible WWII inspired version of Richard III is finally getting a proper release on Blu-Ray (There was a limited edition run last year which commands steep prices on Amazon/eBay). I saw it on TV back in the late 90s and was blown away. I've been waiting for an HD release to rewatch it.

Only one month to wait and Park Circus/BFI have put together a thrilling new trailer...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently Criterion is starting to release some of their Blu-Rays in the UK (Europe/RegionB) (Read here).

I was in the video store this morning and did a little double-take when I saw two Criterion Blu-Rays on the shelf. Why would they be stocking RegionA discs? I looked on the back and they were both RegionB.

I'd actually been seriously considering ordering Polanski's Macbeth from the US, just the other day and there it was for £18. That's pricey for a UK BR but way cheaper than the £30+ it would have been to import the RegionA disc. I'm looking forward to watching this again in HD having first seen it on VHS in the school video-lab while studying the Scottish play for English class.

The downside is that its only 6 releases to begin with and a shame they didn't just Region-Free the damn things. Still it's good news for film fans in Europe.

SatansWaffles

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Oh happy day!

Ian McKellen's incredible WWII inspired version of Richard III is finally getting a proper release on Blu-Ray (There was a limited edition run last year which commands steep prices on Amazon/eBay). I saw it on TV back in the late 90s and was blown away. I've been waiting for an HD release to rewatch it.

Only one month to wait and Park Circus/BFI have put together a thrilling new trailer...

This is an amazing film that I had completely forgotten about, so glad it's getting an HD release. Gonna have to pick it up.

Also, unrelated and to everyone, saw The Green Room at the Drafthouse over the weekend. Really good if you like intense flicks.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alicia-Vikander-Vanity-Fair-Hollywood-Portfolio.jpg

Not at all sure about this Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft business... sure, she's a first-rate actress who deserves the paycheck, but how will the filmmakers find an even prettier actress to play her love interest?!   :)

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Oh happy day!

Any idea on the extras?
I have this on Laser, but would go for an upgrade.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
Any idea on the extras?

Here is the Amazon.uk page for it. The artwork is there but the extras are "TBC". Hopefully it'll be updated soon.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Amazing!

Oh yeah I heard about this "Wakaliwood" scene on the news last year (There's a BBC article here). Some serious creativity going on in Uganda with almost zero budget and resources.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Reading?! For this subject?! :p

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went to this special screening last night...

henryv-quad-approved-FINAL-web-news.jpg

Ugh :dodgy: . It was sadly beset by technical faults. The sound was missing for nearly 20 minutes of Branagh's Q&A. Then when the film started I noticed one of the opening title cards was clipped at the top and bottom. Then when several shots were noticeably badly framed, I started to wonder if the aspect-ratio was wrong. But having not seen the film in ages I wasn't sure, so I didn't complain. Sure enough, when I checked imdb afterwards the film is supposed to be 1.85:1 but what I saw was 2.35:1 with the top and bottom missing.

Still, what part of the image was visible looked absolutely spectacular! I don't know if it was a new restoration but it sure looked great. Well worth watching if it comes to a cinema near you (Just make sure they screen it right!).

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, dear Harry! This was the film that turned me on to Shakespeare after school nearly killed it for me (Romeo and bloody Juliet).
It was one of the first DVD's I bought as well.
What a shame about the technical issues. Should have been brilliant to listen to Branagh and then see the film. :-(

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
does anyone else wanna see a Fast-Furious / Expendables crossover film ?
i sure do.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always thought my DVD of Henry V grainy and hope this leads to an upgrade.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Start saving your pennies Ladies and Gentleman because the jumping on point for buying an Ultra-HD Blu-Ray player is coming...!

Christopher Nolan has started shooting his new movie 'Dunkirk' in IMAX 65mm and 65mm large format film stock with cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema (Interstellar was only 35mm and IMAX). The film is scheduled for release in July 2017, so I'm gonna have to get a U-HD setup ready for the months after, when this beauty comes out on home video.

If I save £1 a day from now until it comes out I can afford one! :D

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently talked my mother into buying a projector. She did so more to humor me than out of a belief in its awesomeness ("will the image be bigger than my [moderately sized] TV?" she asked). After experiencing the magic of the movies in her living room, she's no longer skeptical.  :D

That said, I remain thoroughly unconvinced by the need for ultra blu-rays. Blus are noticeable improvements over dvds, yes (albeit not really to her), but will an ultra blu look better than that, with the same projector and screen? Maybe a bit, but $10 better? Oh, hell no. Price them the same as regular blus, then we'll talk.  :p

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Nice. I'm looking to get a projector when I move. As far as 4K blu-rays, I think it really only matters of the picture quality is worth it to you. Not that the price of discs doesn't matter per se, just that they're always going to be priced higher at first, then come down. Think about how much more than DVDs BDs were at first. It came down drastically once the platform took off.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, this is just about the cutest thing ever...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmm seems familiar somehow :D 

cookerskiing.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yay! Got my ticket booked to a one-off screening of 'The Killing Joke' on the big-screen Monday evening. I think I'm gonna re-read the comic before I go.

Top Bottom