• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
so a couple weeks ago i was stuck at a hotel and i caught SW Episode 2 on some channel, FX or Spike or maybe even HBO, i can't remember. nothing else was on so i left it. sitting through it became an exercise in endurance. i've become so acclimated to watching various fanedits that the studio release has become completely foreign to me. i realized just how bad all the parts are that everyone removes and how well the movie still works without them. it was a unique experience for me.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

A live-action stop-motion short? I've now truly seen it all, maybe.

Cute.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Universal are apparently preparing 4K restorations of all their Marx Brothers catalogue for release in mid 2016. Finally, it's about bloody time! :) The restored 'Horse Feathers' is going to get a theatrical re-release in April/May. I hope this brings in a new wave of fans of all ages.

Now if only Warner Brothers can do the same with their half of the fiilmography. Come on Warner Brothers, it's just over 100 years since they formed. It'd be nice to re-watch these movies in the same quality as they were released back then.

Paramount's 'Love Happy' has already sneaked on Blu-Ray last year but as it's waaay below the quality of the other movies and my DVD transfer looks great already, I won't be rushing out for that one.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Electric Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story Of Cannon Films (currently on Netflix Instant)

Absurdly entertaining doc that zooms through its story at breakneck speed; a ridiculously zippy 107 minutes. The Cannon Group's Golan and Globus did not provide interviews, instead producing a rival doc of their own, but enough primary source footage of them is included that their absence isn't missed. Lots of entertaining schlock flick clips throughout, including a bus worth's full of eye-popping nude "actresses", including Ms. Marina "Deanna Troi" Sirtis herself (who is interviewed).

Much is made of the cousins' lack of concern for quality control, but all in a "those goofy bastards!" tone; there is no real reflection on the fact that they peddled all sorts of crap to foreign investors/distributors. They had no shame, but then, they may not have had the depth of character to know any better. Nor does anyone point out that, among their innovations, their business model was pretty much the same as that of the housing market that caused the Great Recession (though, to be fair, fraudulent accounting was invented a lot earlier than the 80s).

image.jpg

Molly Ringwald - this woman ought to be in pictures!

172587_full.jpg

Typical Cannon "actress" Laura Harring, Miss USA

So, zero-calorie entertainment, but man, is it entertaining. (And so many spectacular nudes; did I mention that?)

B

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
... including a bus worth's full of eye-popping nude "actresses"... (And so many spectacular nudes; did I mention that?)
sooooo basically, try to avoid watching this at work. got it.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
A live-action stop-motion short? I've now truly seen it all, maybe.
Cute.

that was neat to watch. made me think of Alice for some reason. well, obvious reason.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always do a little mental cartwheel when somebody from 'The Wire' shows up in a movie... that cast was just soooo good. I wonder what movie has the most Wire appearances? 'Creed' had at least 3 that I noticed. '12 Monkeys' has a few.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Cooties last night. Man did it suck. Such potential, but all the pitfalls of most shitty horror films. There is probably some fanedit material here, but I just don't care enough to spend the time.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man these two forthcoming Ken Russell Blu-Ray collections from the BFI sound amazing...

81v70xmesIL._SL1500_.jpg

THE KEN RUSSELL COLLECTION: THE GREAT COMPOSERS (Dual Format Edition)
Three films by Ken Russell

A Dual Format Edition collection bringing together the career defining work of Ken Russell at the BBC. Russell's work during the sixties for award-winning arts documentary series Monitor and Omnibus were critically-acclaimed and often seen as a high point in his filmmaking.

The first of the three films, Elgar (1962), portrays in vigorous style the life of the English composer Sir Edward Elgar, with Huw Wheldon narrating his life story over beautiful mountain scenery. The Debussy Film (1965), Russell's penultimate film for Monitor was an ambitious work about the composer s life, written by Melvyn Bragg and starring Oliver Reed as Claude Debussy. Delius: Song of Summer (1968) is generally regarded (not least by its director) as Russell's best television film with many critics citing it as his finest work in any medium. The story traces Eric Fenby and is based on his memoirs of trying to help the blind and paralysed composer Frederick Delius.

The films in this collection have been remastered to High Definition, and are presented on Blu-ray for the very first time

Special features:
Elgar commentary by Michael Kennedy and Ken Russell
Delius: Song of Summer commentary by Ken Russell
Other extras TBC
Illustrated booklet with essays and full credits

1962-1968 | black & white | 210 minutes | 2 X DVD9 | 1 X BD50 | Other details TBC

81NbhkTkifL._SL1500_.jpg

THE KEN RUSSELL COLLECTION: THE GREAT PASSIONS (Dual Format Edition)
Four films by Ken Russell

The second of BFI's Ken Russell releases is another two disc collection bringing together four films from 1965-1967.

The collection opens with Always on Sunday a dramatized examination of the painter Henri Rousseau. The combination of Russell reuniting with Melvyn Bragg and Oliver Reed and Russell's infectious love of the film's subject results in a film which is illuminating in every frame. Isadora: The Biggest Dancer in the World (1966), a study of the outrageous American dancer, Isadora Duncan, starring Vivian Pickles as the dancer whose obsession with the importance of art and complete disdain for decorum chimes perfectly with Russell's own sensibility. Last of the TV dramas is Dante's Inferno (1967) which tells of the complex relationship between the 19th century artist and poet, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, and his model Elizabeth Siddal.

The films in this collection have been remastered to High Definition, and are presented on Blu-ray for the very first time.

Special features:
Late Night Line-up: Ken Russell at Work (1966): documentary showing Russell at work on various BBC TV documentaries, discussing his methods and filmmaking philosophy
Interview with editor Michael Bradsell (2015): the editor discusses his work with Ken Russell
Illustrated booklet with essays and full credits

1965-1967 | 202 minutes | 2 x DVD9 | 1 x BD50 | Other details TBC

...they're out a month before my birthday, how thoughtful of the BFI!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The chances are pretty damn slim... but does anybody own this exact R1-DVD?

I just bought the R2-DVD from Amazon and it looks like sh*t, so I was considering ordering this other version. I was really looking foward to rewatching this superb version of Frankenstein. I had it taped from TV onto VHS back in the day but no doubt due to the oddities of memory, I remember that looking better than the DVD I just bought :-D.

If the shots on this page are from the R1 DVD, then it looks a billion times better than the R2 DVD.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh wow, 1987's '*Batteries Not Included' debuted on Blu-Ray last Tuesday! (R1 only)

91MB0OPqqKL._SX466_.jpg

I re-watched it on TV last year after James Horner died and nearly bawled my eyes out. One of those films that you fondly remember from being a kid... but then when you re-watch as an adult... and you have to upgrade it to "perfect filmic masterpiece"!

If I can just figure out how to import it at a sensible price...

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Oh wow, 1987's '*Batteries Not Included' debuted on Blu-Ray last Tuesday! (R1 only)

91MB0OPqqKL._SX466_.jpg

I re-watched it on TV last year after James Horner died and nearly bawled my eyes out. One of those films that you fondly remember from being a kid... but then when you re-watch as an adult... and you have to upgrade it to "perfect filmic masterpiece"!

If I can just figure out how to import it at a sensible price...
You can always have one of us Yanks mail you one. Get a few R1 releases together to keep spread the shipping costs out.

I watched it with my kids recently. At first they were "fuck this shit, it's boring." It didn't take long for them to change their tune. What a classic "kids" movie. We need more like it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
You can always have one of us Yanks mail you one. Get a few R1 releases together to keep spread the shipping costs out.

Thanks for the offer. I already ordered it direct from Amazon.com and the price was okay (As long as I don't get stung for import duties. Fingers crossed). Import retailers on Amazon.co.uk-marketplace were asking up to £55 ($78) for it?!?

reave said:
What a classic "kids" movie. We need more like it.

The score is beautiful. The VisFx are some of the best ever. It also deals with birth, life, death and aging so beautifully. It's a kids movie but with infant-mortality, parental death and senile-dementia ;-). All the characters are flawed and human... even the "badguy".

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember watching that movie as a kid but is this the one where

The apartment building is on fire, and the old lady thinks the guy is her dead husband and he's trying to get her out of the building. And something about fixing the floor tiles. I have distinct random memories lol

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
is this the one where

The apartment building is on fire, and the old lady thinks the guy is her dead husband and he's trying to get her out of the building. And something about fixing the floor tiles.

More or less. That would make a nice poster quote/synopsis.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First teaser for "The Lego Batman Movie" is out.

The movie is released February 10, 2017

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 'Batteries Not Included' BR arrived and looks great! It's Region-Free and has English 5.1 and a pretty decent sounding Stereo French dub. Just an SD trailer on the extras front though.

Top Bottom