• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This actually makes me really want to see this movie...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jared-leto-matthew-mcconaughey-dallas-buyers-club-c-focus.jpg

Watched 'Dallas Buyers Club' today. It fully deserves all the awards and praise. It's one of those rare movies where 2 hours slips buy in an instant without a single check of the watch.

It's not fully perfect though. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto are outstanding as expected (Also Steve Zahn is great as usual) but Jennifer Garner is just a bit meh. She isn't actively bad and doesn't spoil the movie but in a film this good, she seems out of her depth a little. An actress of the calibre of say Jessica Chastain, would have totally owned the role.

Also there were a couple of points that felt... odd... where information seemed to be missing, or glossed over. It was disapointing to watch the 5 minutes of deleted material right afterwards and find those missing pieces right there. So characters talk about and react to specific events that don't actually appear in the finished movie. Very odd and probably a candidate for an extended edition.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I've been meaning to watch that, but yeah, I really don't care at all for Jennifer Garner. She doesn't have the chops.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
^ I've been meaning to watch that, but yeah, I really don't care at all for Jennifer Garner. She doesn't have the chops.
Bite your tongue. You clearly haven't watched 13 Going On 30.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welp, someone saw the Atonement poster:

Atonement-Poster-atonement-267165_1240_930.jpg

Testament-of-Youth-UK-Quad-Poster--1024x768.jpg

Despite my admiration for Alicia Vikander, and love of British history, this really doesn't look much good at all.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Despite the widespread critical-acclaim, multiple Oscar and Bafta nominations (and an Oscar win for the script) there was something about the trailers that put me off seeing 'The Imitation Game' (I almost, almost, went to see it). I'm glad I didn't waste my money on it because I recently viewed another person's copy and it's really and truly terrible, at best... and a f**king travesty at worst ;-).

Could it be fanfixed? I'm not sure, maybe. You'd have to cut a lot. But I'd like to see someone try, as Alan Turing deserves better than this doggerel.

I knew nothing about Turing going into the movie & I thought it was reasonably entertaining. Something nagged me about it though, the cross cutting between time periods makes the script seem complex on the surface but really it's shallow and contrived. Then I started reading the articles pointing out all the distortions and misrepresentations and turns out almost all the big plot points are invented fluff. It's a cheap cheat and another case of truth being more interesting than fiction.

So could it be fanedited? Some of the inventions could be edited out like all the Soviet spy stuff but you're still left with Cumberbatch playing an autistic when Turing was not. I dunno, I doubt it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rewatched 1999's 'Deep Blu Sea' Blu-Ray for the first time in years. Still a big hunk of fun :) but also a bit depressing.

Being a 90s movie it's a mixture of traditional FX (80%) and CGI (20%). The traditional FX look like some of the best ever shot, they are impossible to tell from the real shark footage. Even on the behind the scenes docs they look real. There is no angle where they don't look right. They built fullsize radio controlled animatronic Sharks that could swim around independantly. When the actors arrived for the first day, they only realised they were puppets swimming by, when the guy with the handset told them.

Then there is the CGI. Oh man it is bad :oops:. I doubt it would even be acceptable in a Syfy TV movie nowadays. All of the 20% CGI shots in 'Deep Blue Sea' could have been done practicly (They even say so on the docs) but it would have been harder, more expensive, or more dangerous. So now the movie forever looks a bit rubbish in places. The lesson learned was clearly do everything with CGI. So yeah the depressing part is that we've had 15 years of fake-ass CGI movies since then. When in 1999 we had FX artists creating perfection :-(.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
haha, I remember seeing Deep Blue Sea in the theater when it came out. I thought it was so silly and bad then. I'm curious to see what my reaction now would be.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Frink: He may have been on the spectrum, and was doubtless somewhat eccentric, but from what I've read, he was also well-liked and fairly sociable when he got to Bletchley, and certainly wasn't a near-Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man-weirdo who didn't understand jokes, which is how Cumberbatch and the script play him.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:

Meh. The evidence in that paper is lame. It's classic clickbait 10 years before clickbait became a thing. At any rate the diagnosis has nothing to do with the performance. The performance was a caricature of a fantasy & had no relation to Turing's real personality. Like the NY Review of Books said

But this not only fatally miscasts Turing as a character—it also completely destroys any coherent telling of what he and his colleagues were trying to do.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kingsman Blu-Ray/DVD doesn't have any deleted scenes, or an unrated version of the movie. I was looking forward to a potential fanedit using those two elements.

shut-up-ill-keep-my-money.jpg

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
GDISM. Loved Kingsman, would have loved deleted scenes. Oh well.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Kingsman Blu-Ray/DVD doesn't have any deleted scenes, or an unrated version of the movie.

I read this as my preordered BR got delivered. There is a behind the scenes featurette that's over an hour long plus trailers to 7 other movies you don't care about. Great film (rewatched it last night) but man is that disappointing.

Zagadka

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm on my noir and neo-noir journey right now and I've recently seen The Black Dahlia by Brian De Palma. And man... what a mess. I thought that James Ellroy's novel was such a great material for a movie and it’s impossible to mess it up... isn’t it (just look at the fine L.A. Confidential)? Well, De Palma managed to do it somehow.

I know that David Fincher was attached as director and that he originally envisioned a five-hour, $80-million mini-series made in black & white. Too bad the studio didn’t let him do it his way.

Although it’s visually brilliant, it feels like everything has been thrown at the screen, but nothing really sticks. The movie has so many threads that go nowhere, it’s sluggishly paced and confusingly constructed, and the ending is disappointing as well. There’s never any sense of how much time has passed or what the dynamic has shifted to (e.g. Aaron Eckhart’s character all of the sudden is obsessed). And half of the movie is not even concentrated on The Black Dahlia’s case.

Here goes a problem with miscasting: 25-year-old Josh Hartnett as a hard-boiled, cynical detective? And Hilary Swank as a femme fatale? No dice. Only Mia Kirshner as Elizabeth Short is really convincing. Too bad she couldn’t play Swank’s role.

An hour was removed from the final cut of the movie and I know that Ellroy’s praised the original version. I wonder if that cut material would improve the movie a lot (at least it wouldn’t have had so many plot-holes). I’d really like to see it. The trailer looks better than the actual movie:

Anyway, do you guys think that this movie can be fan-edited into something decent or more watchable? Some heavy cuts maybe?

Kirestananderson01

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I checked out Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief last night. Very easy to draw Harry Potter parallels.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Miracletheatrical.jpg

Geeky man meets-cute geeky woman. They share a magical day, and arrange to meet at midnight. Except they don't. And WWIII may be about to start.

Although cheesy and contrived in spots, it never loses its core tension, and thus wholly succeeds on its own, ambitious terms. And the leads are not only totally charming, but utterly weird, giving the movie an enduring personality. Sort of like The Terminator crossed with The Princess Bride.

A-
Quite pleased to see Miracle Mile get some blu-love. An unforgettable love story.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Quite pleased to see Miracle Mile get some blu-love. An unforgettable love story.

Sweet. Sometimes I wonder if a fanedit could seamlessly get rid of the cheesy scenes that start and finish this movie. In between the bookends is a dynamite roller coaster ride. Sort of like Run Lola Run crossed with The Poseidon Adventure.

Top Bottom