• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
a lot of the arguments here show that he isn't very familiar with the series. Azkaban is the best film in the series in my opinion, and while none of the movies are perfect, the reviewer here can't actually believe that every moment of their lives takes place during the film? or every single action takes place on camera?

I'm all for picking apart issues with the films, but this guy is just daft.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, I agree that it's the best of the films, with GoF not far behind. The whole time-turner thing is fun, but it does make little to no sense...

... And I have wondered about the lack of eyesight-improving spells/herbs/potions. :)

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GoF is IMO the WORST HP movie in the series. So many plot changes that it's barely recognisable from the source material! I mean so much retcon had to be done in the future movies just to keep up with the continuity. While I admire the film for its mature visual style, Mad eye moody & Voldermort, the story is terrible. The first two thirds of the movie drags on with unnecessary story elements and dialogues, many of which could have been used to re-include omitted plot details through one liners and simple dialogues. For example, all that Hide and Seek with the dragon during the first task is just bloated unnecessary detail. After the second task everything's rushed and BAM, its suddenly the third task and the movie's over.

Its understandable that the story had to be cut down, but the barty Crouch subplot should have had more explanation, and the house elves should have been included, at LEAST in a two minute clip just to establish it in the future movies. Also one of the blunders the movie makes is having Voldermort call Harry's mom 'filthy muggle mother'. What. The. F***. How the hell did that get past the cutting room floor??? muggle? not mudblood? Smh.
I also hate how they've made Dumbledore look like a raging fart when something unexpected happens. The dumbledore in the book NEVER got angry when Harry's name came out of the goblet. He was calm, reassuring, calculating and comforting. He went 'Harry..... Did you put your name in the goblet?' in his natural calm tone. In the movie? He goes beserk and man handles Harry: 'HARRY! HARRY! DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE???? ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE?!'
Mike Newell mate what the blue hell were you thinking!

There are so many other blunders and screwups that I cant remember unless i watch the movie, and its just disappointing and upsetting.

By the way I too think Azkaban is a great movie. Its got a beautiful visual style, although I wish Alfonso Cuaron and co had left in the explanation behind the marauder's map in there, it would have only taken an extra minute. But I think that Deathly hallows Part 2 is the best Potter movie. Very close to the spirit of the book, so epic and grand and very emotional.

I'd rank the Potter movies like this:

1. Deathly Hallows Part 2
2. Deathly Hallows Part 1
3. Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Order of the Phoenix, Chamber of Secrets, Philosopher's Stone (All in the same rank, I love them equally)
5. Half Blood Prince
6. And Goblet of Fire, and to note that HB Prince is miles above GoF.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PoA is def the best. Half Blood Prince second. If DH was a single film (with some of the fat trimmed) it'd probably be my favorite, though. Why hasn't anyone here done that yet?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Goblet of Fire is my least favorite. The pacing is terrible, and I think the color grading is inconsistent and poorly done (especially as it fits in the series). I don't mind if they stray from the source material a bit, but I don't think it worked well as it was presented. It's been on my long list of "maybe I will edit this" movies.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I totally dig GoF because it's the first in the series directed by a Brit, and (very deliberately) feels that way. There's just an anarchic feeling to many of the scenes and interactions amongst the kids that I, having done two years at a (metaphorically) magical rural co-ed boarding school myself, totally recognize and get nostalgic over. As good as PoA is, GoF is the first of the series where Hogwarts actually feels like a school.

rajithwarren said:
Also one of the blunders the movie makes is having Voldermort call Harry's mom 'filthy muggle mother'. What. The. F***. How the hell did that get past the cutting room floor??? muggle? not mudblood?
To him, what's the difference? It's totally in character.

rajithwarren said:
The dumbledore in the book NEVER got angry when Harry's name came out of the goblet. He was calm, reassuring, calculating and comforting. He went 'Harry..... Did you put your name in the goblet?' in his natural calm tone. In the movie? He goes beserk and man handles Harry: 'HARRY! HARRY! DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE???? ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE?!' Mike Newell mate what the blue hell were you thinking!
Ha, you can thank Gambon for that:

“He’s got to be a bit scary,” Gambon said of his Dumbledore. “All headmasters should be a bit scary, shouldn’t they? A top wizard like him would be intimidating. And ultimately, he’s protecting Harry. Essentially, I play myself. A little Irish, a little scary. That’s what I’m like in real life.”

In short: Gambon played a more interesting character than Rowling wrote, and his movies were the better for it. :p

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I should think the difference between muggle and mudblood should mean quite a bit to Voldermort. Seeing as both him AND harry share a connection and both are half blood and it has been established that he had always liked to think of himself as a pureblood, because he found being a half blood a disgrace. I don't think a wizard calling another wizard a muggle makes sense, especially Voldermort.

Also while I love Gambon's portrayal of the old wizard in all the movies, his take on the character only started to fit the description of the Dumbledore in the books from Order of the Phoenix onwards. In Azkaban, he just seems out of place (mostly due to the fact that it was his first Potter film after Richard harris's death), and in GoF he's this rumbling tumbling old steam machine with anger management problems.

And IMO GoF doesn't make Hogwarts seem like a school as much as the first three movies did.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rajithwarren said:
I should think the difference between muggle and mudblood should mean quite a bit to Voldermort. Seeing as both him AND harry share a connection and both are half blood and it has been established that he had always liked to think of himself as a pureblood, because he found being a half blood a disgrace.
(emphasis added) Exactly - to him, a mudblood is as bad/worthless as a muggle. And though he's self-confident enough to acknowledge his own hypocrisy, he's conferred honorary/de facto pureblood status on himself, meaning that Harry's mother, and thus Harry himself, are pretty much muggles. Only he can beat death, and only he can transcend is only mudblood-dom.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I'm all for picking apart issues with the films, but this guy is just daft.

He (and one other guy) should lose himself to dance.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is pretty awesome.

I feel very nostalgic/affectionate towards a large number of films on that list :)

And the 2013 winner is....

Gravity :first:

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone happen to watch Pain & Gain?

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MWRK said:
Anyone happen to watch Pain & Gain?
I did, pretty much the ONLY Michael Bay film that I've ever remotely enjoyed (and its a comedy, go figure).... however, given the complete and utter horsesh*t that the Transformers movies were, that's not saying a whole lot.

Speaking of Bay, the Ninja Turtles movie that he's produced just had some leaked stills of what the Turtles look like:
600x800jpegfe2924606b690131dbf622000a2d16e3_zpsc3aa2944.jpg

1601176_648520491873874_798187584_n_large.jpg

tmntnew_zpsc1z8nqei.jpg
donnynew.jpg

I'm... vaguely curious now how this movie will turn out, based on these designs.
On the other hand, Megan Fox is apparently playing April O'Neil.... :|

... Goes and puts in the Blu-Ray of the 1990 Ninja Turtles movie instead.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tattoo parlors...where do you go?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just curious. My box turtle has been asking for a Petunia tattoo.

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN Yeah I found it cool too. There were a few LOL moments, but I can't help but feel like it burrows a little too much from Bad Boys 2 in terms of homophobic humor and some other story aspects.

Also yeah I've seen a few Turtle pics! I think it looks great. It sort of pays homage to the original series and has that modern aesthetic feel to it, so I'm psyched. One thing about the poster though, wonder why Donatello has the Michelangelo look. I hope they haven't shifted character traits! :O
And yeah, was initially pretty bummed about Megan Fox's casting. But IF she does a good job im okay with it. I always thought April should have a subtle sexiness to her, you know the Linda Fiorentino, Judith Hoag, Gillian Anderson type. I think Judith Hoag's the best live action version of April to date as well. :p

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
This is pretty awesome.

<snip>
No Gollum? For shame. And a nice video, but what's with the horrible-quality POTC: DMC shot, and the deleted/trailer-only footage from The Golden Compass? :oops:

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Top Bottom