• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had an Avengers movie marathon yesterday. Watched in this order: Captain America, Hulk (Not IH), Thor, Iron Man, Avengers. I watched in this order to replicate the order that the characters were introduced by Marvel comics in the 60s. I purposely excluded IM2 and IH. I just didn't think those two films were that good.

Surprisingly, the continuity held up very well. The only minor continuity errors I found were:
- In Avengers, Stark and the Widow acknowledged that they had previously met.
- In Thor, Coulson states that Stark doesn't keep him very well informed on new weapons, even though they haven't met in my chronology.
- In Avengers, Banner talks about trashing Harlem.
- In Hulk, the Hulk is way too large.

All of these were pretty minor continuity errors in my eyes.

What really stood out was how all of the individual movies, even Iron Man were played pretty straight. Robert Downey delivers a lot of quips in IM, but they are appropriate to Stark's character. Then by the time we get to Avengers, everyone thinks they are the class clown, with their little smarmy remarks, most of which aren't funny. The two truly humorous moments are both delivered by the Hulk, when he sucker punches Thor and then when he thrashes Loki. While sitting by myself, I actually laughed out loud at the Loki thrashing, even though this is the fourth time I have seen this film.

I'm not sure how the continuity would hold up if I continued on to IM3. I've only seen that film once and don't remember all of the continuity details too well. I think the sudden intro of the Iron patriot would be awkward without the lead up from IM2. Maybe I will rent it tonight.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
I purposely excluded IM2 and IH. I just didn't think those two films were that good.

Wait. You preferred Ang Lee's Hulk to The Incredible Hulk? Really!?!

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Wait. You preferred Ang Lee's Hulk to The Incredible Hulk? Really!?!

Yup. They both weren't great, but I would rather see J. Connelly over L. Tyler anytime. Also, the cutoff for me was that Hulk was an origin story. Also, IH was just a CGI cartoon mess.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
Yup. They both weren't great, but I would rather see J. Connelly over L. Tyler anytime. Also, the cutoff for me was that Hulk was an origin story. Also, IH was just a CGI cartoon mess.
i like your Connelly > Tyler reasoning the most.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
+1 for ang lee Hulk (except for the last 10 minutes or so. then it went very, very silly), IH was boooooooooooring.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
+1 for ang lee Hulk (except for the last 10 minutes or so. then it went very, very silly), IH was boooooooooooring.

Agreed. Seems like a lot of these superhero movies suffer at the end.

Watched IM3 with an eye toward continuity issues, based on my viewing order above. The only problems were a couple of mentions of War Machine after the Iron Patriot was so nicely introduced by the President.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
Agreed. Seems like a lot of these superhero movies suffer at the end.

That's funny because Ang Lee's Hulk made me suffer during the entirety of the film. :lol:

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched this, really creepy cheesy cool. Thanks to reave for the recommendation.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're a fan of Hustle & Flow and/or Black Snake Moan you should check this out.

http://thepoorandhungry.com/

Before he broke through with the cult film Hustle & Flow, and later went on to make movies like Black Snake Moan and Footloose, Craig Brewer made his feature directorial debut with 2000’s The Poor & Hungry. The low-budget crime film played a few festivals but has been completely unavailable for years. Despite its relative obscurity, Brewer says the movie is particularly special to him. “It’s my baby, my favorite,” he notes at ThePoorAndHungry.com. “It launched my career and taught me how to be a filmmaker.”

Now Brewer is giving his baby away—for free. To get a free download of The Poor & Hungry, all you need to do is provide Brewer with your email address. Submit it you’ll receive a link; click that and you get a file of the film sent directly to your computer. I just did it myself; the whole process takes a couple of keystrokes and clicks and maybe 15 minutes.

Here’s a plot description:

“The story of a Memphis car thief who falls in love with one of his victims, The Poor & Hungry is the previously unreleased first feature from Craig Brewer. This gritty, black and white micro budget ‘digiflik’ was written, directed, and edited by Brewer in the late ’90s on the cusp of the digital revolution for only $20,000. Utilizing local actors and an energetic handheld camera aesthetic, this previously unseen first feature boasts strong performances set against a rough and soulful backdrop of Memphis.”

I downloaded it, sounds like a fun flick.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wait, Footloose? Oh yeah, there was a remake or something.

FantasyWorkshop

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Funny how it takes years of watching a movie to notice something, like this cameo of Richard Donner in The Toy. Funny how Donner directed a movie starring Richard Pryor that wasnt a Superman movie, & not Superman 3 which had Richard Pryor. Oh well!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged. Also, what Neg said.

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today marks the 35th Anniversary of the theatrical release of the greatest Super-Hero movie to date, Superman The Movie!
Ofcourse its no surprise that the movie went onto introduce ground-breaking film making techniques, paving the way for the cinema industry for decades to come!

Thanks to Richard Donner & Tom Mankiewicz, without who's genius, it would have been another failure like Superman 3 and 4. Also thanks to Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder and the whole cast for entertaining us and inspiring us all these years, and many many more to come! :)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Burn it! BURN IIIIITTTTT! :oops:

234819_v1.jpg

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, I like the movie, or at least I think I still do, but there's some funny stuff in here nonetheless:

Top Bottom