• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Decided to watch Men In Black II tonight, haven't seen since it was in theaters. Holy crap is this is a terrible movie.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It has its moments, but yeah, its mostly crap. I watched MIB3 last night and while its certainly better than MIIB, it's still not as good as MIB. I do have to say Brolin NAILS Tommy Lee Jones as K.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
I watched MIB3 last night and while its certainly better than MIIB, it's still not as good as MIB. I do have to say Brolin NAILS Tommy Lee Jones as K.

Watched it today, really liked it, agree with your viewpoint.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was pleasantly surprised by MIBIII.

And shocked to discover Jermaine was the baddie.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunshine_1999_poster.jpg

Accomplished and moving melodrama; Fiennes shines in three unique roles; A-

220px-The_Muppet_Movie.jpg

Sometimes truly inspired and wildly original, sometimes totally flat; B

Primaryposter.jpg

Often howlingly funny take on Bubba, greats perfs all around; A-

Coco_avant_Chanel_poster.jpg

Interesting and engaging fashion pioneer origin story; B+

Rare_Exports_official_film_poster.jpg

Very stylish, at times very sad, muddled ending; B

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer was on TV today. Had nothing better to do at that time.
Movie still sucks donkey farts. Jessica Alba is still a bad actress. Galactus is still a freakin' cloud. Annoying bad humor, bad dialogue and stupid pointless scenes all around. Silver Surfer is nice enough though (compared to Dr. Doom or Galactus). Cool effects with him, and the scene with him getting chased by Torch is pretty nice.
Though still a bad movie, just like i remember it being 5 years ago

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
Silver Surfer is nice enough though.

Larry Fishburn gets me every time as sSurfer. i hope Larry takes over all voice over jobs after Morgan Freeman hangs up his voice over hat.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
220px-The_Muppet_Movie.jpg

Sometimes truly inspired and wildly original, sometimes totally flat; B

:loco:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yep. I like Piggy fine, but her romance with Kermit does absolutely zip for moi. I don't mind the interspecies angle, but I don't think a frog as zen and easygoing as him would be anything but repelled by her manic neuroses. As for her, I don't see her falling for our mild-mannered leader, but rather for a similarly rambunctious, totally grizzled guy. Light bulb: Miss Piggy + Animal. Now that's a winning combination.

Also, I love Gonzo, but his romance with a non-talking animal creeped me out, too. Sure, the chicken was sentient, but as the only non-speaking animal character, that was just a bridge too far.

And the whole villain/toadie aspect was only kinda interesting.

But the music was good, and I appreciated the general zaniness. So, yeah, sticking with a B.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ Yep. I like Piggy fine, but her romance with Kermit does absolutely zip for moi. I don't mind the interspecies angle, but I don't think a frog as zen and easygoing as him would be anything but repelled by her manic neuroses. As for her, I don't see her falling for our mild-mannered leader, but rather for a similarly rambunctious, totally grizzled guy. Light bulb: Miss Piggy + Animal. Now that's a winning combination.

Also, I love Gonzo, but his romance with a non-talking animal creeped me out, too. Sure, the chicken was sentient, but as the only non-speaking animal character, that was just a bridge too far.

ernie-bert-wtf.jpg

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
movie? set in france.
actors? american.
accent they adopt? british. (because it sounds more european?)

puzzling stuff, man. like a damn rubik's cube.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Like how the Scottish and Irish actors in Rome adopted BBC-style English accents for the sake of historical accuracy, yes? :p

It is kinda weird, but having the whole cast do French accents would've been a huge turn-off for American audiences, and a likely objective disaster besides.

Some criticized Tom Cruise for not adopting a German accent in Valkyrie, which also had British actors using their native accents. Since Les Mis has an international cast, Hooper had a similar call to make.

Watcha gonna do? ;-)

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see a lot of this going on. All of the actors playing Russians in Enemy at the Gates spoke with British accents, even Ron Perlman. Ed Harris as the German major however spoke with his American accent.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Which makes Inglourious Basterds even better. German characters speak German (or when they speak English they have a German accent). French characters speak French (or English with a French accent). Americans speak sloppy English and have terrible accents when trying to speak another language. British characters speak the King's English.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Well, that's sort of inevitable when you mash together so many characters with different native languages, but I agree, it does add to the movie's awesomeness.

Another great flick in that regard is Joyeux Noel, which features French, English, and German WWI troops, all speaking their proper languages.

I'd like to see an A Tale of Two Cities with the characters speaking their own languages; ditto for an HBO miniseries on the 1919 Paris Peace Conference.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The early test version of The Muppet Movie had Kermit just croaking, but audiences didn't respond well.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched two movies today.... Joseph Zito's cracker of an action movie, Red Scorpion, with Dolph Lundgren.... and the UK monster/comedy flick Attack The Block.

Red+Scorpion+Art.jpg

I hadn't seen Red Scorpion since I rented it back in the last 80's early 90's, but man this stood up far better than I remember. Very nicely directed and acted on the whole, I was taken aback by the gentle midway act, which sees Dolph's
huge Soviet soldier, Nikolai, becoming friends with an African bushman - quite amusing and dare I say emotionally moving at times - a considerable feat for a B movie such a this. Great action scenes too and Dolph makes for a brilliant screen presence as always.

Attack the Block was an enjoyable if flawed UK monster/comedy romp, where the biggest problem is that the so called heroes of the story are so unlikeable that you actually want the monsters to win! lol.

Top Bottom