• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That reminds me, that Simpsons movie was pretty lame IMO. Came way too late in the series' run.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sure_thingposter.jpg

Now here's a seriously strange movie. The writing and characters are funny, fresh, and strong, yet it also indulges in countless cliches and sitcom-level hijinks. It sometimes feels written by a very talented alien screenwriter who only knew about humanity via movies, and then the actors do their best to sell it. Also weird but endearing: it's a cross-country road trip that's obviously filming California exteriors a third of the way in. Uh, guys? No place else in the country has hills that look like that. Just FYI.

A great film, this ain't - that'd be Say Anything..., which this in many ways feels like a rough draft of: Cusack, the driven, prim brunette love interest, wacky comedy interludes amidst a fundamentally straight-faced love story. But for all its faults, it's also tremendously charming. I'll admit it. Any movie that starts off with a teenage Cusack asking a girl "How would you like to have a sexual encounter so intense it could conceivably change your political views?" is pretty much guaranteed to be a good time.

B+

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gone [2011]
meh. a cross between taken and seeking justice w/ a made for girls vibe. it was one of those movies that is competently made enough that you dont turn it off - but instantly forget it once its over. whatshername is hot in it so that was cool i guess.
5/10

Man on a Ledge [2011]
this one started strong but fell apart halfway through and derailed in the 3rd act. felt alot like Law Abiding Citizen and bits of Next Three Days w/ some generic heist scenes from other generic heist films. The Brother and Girlfriend characters sink the film as soon as they start having screen-time. Ed Harris needs to stop acting because he hasnt had a solid role in years and Liz Banks is whatever.
6/10

Road to Wellville [1994]
rewatched this the other day and while still not a great film it is quite entertaining if you like silly old-timey medical practices and matthew broderick. oh and i never tire of looking at bridgette fonda or her boobs. this might also be dana carveys best role IMO [aside from garth]
7/10

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2.jpg

Heard of this one way back in '06 when it came out, and always wanted to see it, but never got around to doing so until now. In short, it's fantastic, a road-trip movie set in a limbo populated entirely by suicides. Sort of like a modern-day Carnivàle, only without the Good vs. Evil angle, which is entirely appropriate for our jaded, electronic age.

It's also a great contemporary love story. The trouble with crafting modern love stories is that, once two people realize they're into each other, what can get in their way? Sexuality? Religion? Class? Background? All relatively easily overcome. Now, how about this for an obstacle facing two young potential lovers: they're both dead. Not bad, huh?

A

Here's another modern love story, with a different obstacle: the lovers live on opposite coasts, and can't afford to move.

Going_the_distance_2010_poster.jpg

This is a pretty good rom-com. Its narrative realism makes it unconventional, but everything else about it, from the wacky sidekicks to the gags at the expense of spouses who hate each other, is utterly ordinary. Still, while there are no ridiculous plot contrivances keeping the pair apart, they do conveniently fail to talk things through in person at least twice - once I can buy, but twice is stretching it. Not a classic like Wristcutters, but it'll do just fine.

B+

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The AV Club just gave Casablanca a C.

... Casablanca the TV series, that is. Why, what you think I meant? :D

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
E.T. really scared the shit out of me when i was young, and would avoid it whenever it was TV. i decided to face my fear a few years ago and watched it over the xmas period.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hooray, the Nostalgia Chick reviews Supergirl! Spoiler: she think's it's terrible!

supergirl.jpg

Love that chicken? Or...

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Argo2012Poster.jpg

The poster's aren't so great, but the movie's swell. A-.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hell yeah, just saw it tonight. Highly recommended.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the first Major League movie so much. I could rewatch it forever. I watched it a lot during the 2010 baseball season, not so much the last 2 seasons, but rewatching it tonight and still loving every second.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1 is very good, 2 was a shoddy cash in and was pretty much phoned in but I was pleasantly surprised with 3 as it was quite good even though it had very little to do with the first 2 other than it being about baseball.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah 2 is a pretty big disappointment, but there's still a lot of things I love about it. I thought 3 would have been perfect if it wasn't called "Major League". They should have just titled it "Minor League".

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One of the best car chases I've seen in some time:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warning: do NOT see this movie. It is SHITE. :(

Seeking_a_Friend_for_the_End_of_the_World_Poster.jpg

I like 'em both separately, but Carrell + Keira is seriously one of the worst screen couples I've ever seen. They say they're on the East Coast but are obviously shooting in SoCal. There's two mentions of a "CSA space shuttle" - what, did the South actually rise again? And then there's a mind-bogglingly stupid bit in which

They really seem to think that Martin Sheen can fly a Cessna from New Jersey to England. WTF?!? :-?

All the good bits are in the admittedly decent trailer. Can't remember offhand the last time I saw a worse movie. It's right down there with (Terrible) Days of Lameness.

D

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree. The trailer did look pretty good, but I do want to see this. Has this already come out in the UK? Didn't Willem DaFoe do a film similar to this, but it was in one block of apartments, or am I getting confused with something else?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dafoe did do a similar movie recently. This was a brand-new arrival to Redbox. And again... don't see it! Or if you do, stop half an hour in. You'll have seen all the best bits by far. ;-)

Top Bottom