• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
a good watch, although I'd have liked to see a few more controversial staples from the corman school :)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice! but there forgot this one:

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cabin In The Woods

wtfew.jpg

Rubber

srlywtf.jpg

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought Rubber was a lot of fun.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rubber was awesome but I often repeated the phrase "WTF" while watching.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
220px-Mission_impossible_ghost_protocol.jpg

Finally saw M:GP... it was pretty decent. A B from moi. I really didn't like the "masks can be made in three minutes" development from the last movie, so it was nice to see that go by the wayside.

I'll admit right up front that M:I-II is one of my favorite movies. Yes, it's ludicrous and over-the-top, but it also carries real emotional weight, at least for me. I mean, come on, until the action-centric third act, it's a near scene-for-scene remake of Notorious, one of the greatest films ever. I really liked the love story between Ethan and Nyah, and I loved Dougray Scott's villain.

But GP? Yes, the individual sequences are very well-done. Yet the plot revolves around a guy who wants so badly so launch a few nukes against anyone at all that he'll kill himself trying to do so? Sounds like a rejected 007 brainstorm from the 80s.

And what is with these white-collar villains being able to hold their own in fistfights against our super-agents, with absolutely no explanation or set-up? Same thing happened in Quantum of Solace (and maybe also M:I-III?), and it ticks me off.

Lastly, the final scene and reveal (developed part-way through production) just felt all over the place and arbitrary, with an overpowering sitcom flavor.

Myself, I have no idea where I'd take this series, or the 007s either, if I were handed the reins. Maybe it's time to retire the standard Bond/Hunt Anglo super-spy model of Europe-centric Cold War-era glory, and start using homegrown heroes of Middle Eastern descent, who can freely move around and operate in the Arab world as potential natives. Or maybe a Korean-American, out to infiltrate North Korea, alone. Enough, in other words, with the same ol' ticking red nuclear clocks, luxury hotels, opulent galas and gee-whiz gadgets.

... But, so long as the status quo makes GP-sized earnings, I guess that that's Hollywood's real mission: impossible. :p

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moved your post to the Random Movie Thoughts thread.

I agree that the very end of GP felt kind of out of place, but I still loved the movie as a whole.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair enough. :)

I don't begrudge anyone loving a movie as well-made as GP, but I do wish more people appreciated M:I-II. Maybe it's just too unashamedly Romantic an action movie for most? And I mean capital-R-Romantic. M:I-III had a rom-com vibe subplot, but the romance in M:I-II - which is actually the movie's main plot, with the MacGuffin poison providing subplot, as it did in Notorious - was closer in tone to West Side Story than, say, Superbad.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been a while since I watched MI 2. Maybe a little marathon of 1-4 is in store, this time with an open mind to 2.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ooooohhh!!!! The Dr. Peppers kicking in!!!! :-o:-o:-o:-o:-o:-o:-o

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Ooooohhh!!!! The Dr. Peppers kicking in!!!! :-o:-o:-o:-o:-o:-o:-o

:lol::lol::lol::-D

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I cant stand MI:2 - I have watched it a few times and every time I just cant get into it. its my least favorite of the series. I rewatched 1-3 a year or 2 ago when looking for something to edit and I was surprised how corny Part 1 was - I remember really liking it back in the day.
GP was ok I guess but overall I think I prefer Part 3 the best because it [and this is gonna sound dumb] feels the most realistic.
I had hoped brad bird would wow me a little more with his live action debut but I suppose you kinda have to stick to the perameters of the pre-established world with a sequel.
overall GP was decent I guess but I dont feel the need to add it to my collection.
5/10

---

in other random movie thoughts news - I watched "Haywire" last night, ann odd film from Steven Soderberg. felt like a Jason Bourne meets Traffic type thing w/ a female MMA fighter in the lead role - she was awesome in the fights but meh everywhere else. a good supporting cast too with nothing for any of them to do with the exception of Michael Fassbender who just kills it in every movie I see him in.
6/10

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, 3 is the best imo. Didn't really care much for 2.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still find #1 very enjoyable, probably because Hunt wasn't a superhero in that one.

Top Bottom