If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Random movie thoughts
(08-12-2019, 04:57 PM)TM2YC Wrote: I would but my local multiplex isn't bothering to show it.

That sucks.

[Image: tumblr_lzvqt37lLU1qchfeio2_250.gif]

Good you can see it on the Friday though. I didn't realise there were showings beyond tomorrow.
"I live in the Tower of Flints. I am the death-owl."

COMPLETED: IFDB
ITW: The Ledzeppership of The Rings ~ TMWKTM (1956)
IDEAS: Thread ~ B+ Movie Series ~ Anatomy of a Shrinking Man ~ Avatar: TLA (TV-Movie Project)
(08-12-2019, 05:24 PM)The Scribbling Man Wrote: I didn't realise there were showings beyond tomorrow.

There is no mention of it having the "filmed Q&A with Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Soderbergh" that today's screenings promise. Fingers crossed it does have it.

I'm actually more interested in this bit of news I just noticed on the AP Wikipedia page:

"It will be released in Fall 2019, along with an extended cut of The Cotton Club."

I assume that means the home video release. From the Cotton Club Wikipedia page:

"In 2015, Coppola found an old Betamax video copy of his original cut that ran 25 minutes longer. When originally editing the picture, he acquiesced to distributors who wanted a shorter film with different structure. Between 2015 and 2017 Coppola spent over $500,000 of his own money to restore the film to the original cut. This version, titled The Cotton Club Encore and running 139 minutes, debuted at the Telluride Film Festival on September 1, 2017."

This review was pretty enthusiastic:

https://www.talkhouse.com/coppola-just-p...sterpiece/

"The changes Coppola has made to his film, both major and minor, cumulatively alter the impact and meaning of The Cotton Club so significantly that it is essentially a new movie – one with the audacity, resonance and ambition of its era’s most important films. To discover The Cotton Club in this form is to come across a lost masterpiece that stands alongside Raging Bull, The Right Stuff and Once Upon a Time in America as one of the great American epics of the early 1980s."
I had a listen to Ken Russell's Laserdisc commentary for 1988's 'Lair of the White Worm'. He's a very entertaining raconteur, comically shrieking in mock surprise at the Horrific bits and his deadpan delivery means you often aren't entirely sure when he's joking, or not. Some sample lines:

"I allowed him to keep the Police uniform afterwards, in lieu of payment"
"Most people would remove their knickers for 20 dollars"
"The Loch Ness Monster, for my money, probably does exist"
"He carried a grenade in his Sporran... most Scotsmen do"

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes TM2YC's post
An interview with Quentin Tarantino popped up on YouTube in my recommend. It was the first time I've heard him talk (I know he cameos in a lot of his films, but this is the first time I've heard him and knew it was him). I was expecting him to sound aggressive and unpleasant based things I've heard about him, but instead he seemed happy and kind and passionate, and it was a much sifter voice than I expected. I just found that interesting.
Mega Man is best game. 
It must have been Queeny Tarantino that you saw. That's his sister.
"I live in the Tower of Flints. I am the death-owl."

COMPLETED: IFDB
ITW: The Ledzeppership of The Rings ~ TMWKTM (1956)
IDEAS: Thread ~ B+ Movie Series ~ Anatomy of a Shrinking Man ~ Avatar: TLA (TV-Movie Project)
[+] 1 user Likes The Scribbling Man's post
As one who absolutely hated the stupefyingly misogynistic and lame (500) Days of Summer, I was very pleased to see the Honest Trailers crew give it a one-way ticket to the shredder:

Seeing CRAWL tonight!! Can't wait.  Love me a good creature fest and Aja usually delivers the goods
Completed
Last Survivor Completed Edits
Currently Editing
Licence Revoked
I'm not one to actually watch some random guy's 105-minute sci-fi action movie made with Lego, but, in light of the accomplishment, I'll give it a shout-out for existing.

More interesting still is Richard "Boyhood" Linklater's new project: an adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical Merrily We Roll Along, filming shortly... and occasionally, over the next 20 years. I'm not familiar with the musical itself, nor have I seen Boyhood, but it sounds like a fascinating project, assuming humanity still has electricity and stuff in 2039. Tongue
I can't wait to watch this Amazon-Prime exclusive:

[Image: 48679619223_5de44720f8.jpg]

The title is so enigmatic.
[+] 1 user Likes TM2YC's post
I just watched Blue Velvet for the third time, and there were a lot of little scenes and details that I forgot about or completely missed before. I never noticed that Frank just takes Ben's tape, for one.
Mega Man is best game.