• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No need for a separate thread for every single movie you wanna comment on, especially since this section isn't exactly a bustling beehive of activity. ;)

Anyway, I just finished watching "The Adventures of Mark Twain". Creative insanity from the people who brought us The California Raisins. Not bad.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ripplin said:
Anyway, I just finished watching "The Adventures of Mark Twain". Creative insanity from the people who brought us The California Raisins. Not bad.
Loved that film, especially the "Mysterious Stranger" segment - that sequence (and still is) one of the most insanely awesome and surrealistically Kabbalistic depictions of a "God" figure that I've seen in any medium, let alone in a claymation cartoon for kids (and seeing a parent react to the Stranger's name always gets me laughing hard :smile: ).

So let me get this straight, Warner Bros: you couldn't bother to get ANY extras for the DVD release of Where the Wild Things Are?!?
No director/actor commentary, no Making Of features, no special effects features, no trailers, etc... just a couple of Webisodes??? (whatever the hell those are) :x

Bingowings

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That sequence is pretty much a depiction of the gnostic demiurge .

It is fabulous.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally read spoilers for Richard Kelley's "The Box". I thought that the twist would be that if they pressed the button, then they would kill the unknown somebody (hitting them with their car, etc). Well, the actual twist is much better than that.

I decided not to see the movie in theatres when all the critics said it gets bogged down in supernatural/UFO nonsense, but a fan edit of the movie that ends where the Twilight Zone ep ends could be interesting, and a better-acted, better-produced short than the 80s TV original... I might have to Netflix it sometime.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I checked out Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief last night. Very easy to draw Harry Potter parallels. All in all, it had fairly good pacing, but I've a feeling we're missing alot of character development somewhere. The chick starts to like Percy far too easily and he learns his swords n' sandles skills too quickly.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Same director as the first two HP films.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anybody else seen the brilliant insanity called ME AND YOU AND EVERYONE WE KNOW?

[youtube:kypd6oga]

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching Gizmo! and loved it! :D Incredibly fun watching all these people and their ideas; some good, some bad, most ridiculous. Lots of laughs, many unintentional, which are often the best ones.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If anyone fan-edits Tim Burton's latest, they should do what Burton himself should have done, and give it a title other than Alice in Wonderland. Though in the public domain, and therefore beyond the reach of the law, as a matter of intellectual propriety, only Carroll's story and adaptations thereof should be given that title. Given the sequel nature of this latest film, the least they could have done would have been to call it Alice in Wonderland 2. :razz:

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
If anyone fan-edits Tim Burton's latest, they should do what Burton himself should have done, and give it a title other than Alice in Wonderland. Though in the public domain, and therefore beyond the reach of the law, as a matter of intellectual propriety, only Carroll's story and adaptations thereof should be given that title. Given the sequel nature of this latest film, the least they could have done would have been to call it Alice in Wonderland 2. :razz:

I think wonderland is called Underland in the movie.
So "Return to Underland" would have been nice I guess. Makes it a "sequel" title and add a Burton mood to it.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kinda went on a horror film binge over the weekend (since my video store got the "Horrorfest 4" movies a week early), so here's a bunch of mini-reviews of the movies that I watched:

The Fourth Kind
I'll echo Throw's comments - incredibly lame and pointless as hell (maybe it could've been scary if they actually went with the "real footage" concept, instead of trying to mix it with "scene reconstructions with paid actors")

Paranormal Activity
Damn, why did I watch this? Didn't Blair Witch Project teach me anything? :roll:
A few decent scares here and there, but it was a mostly dull film with characters I didn't care about that either whine/complain too much (the girl) or act like a complete jackass (the boyfriend), along with several huge plotholes that I didn't get or came out of nowhere [spoiler:3ai8mdm1](the possession plot twist with the demon taking over the girl came too late in the story and with very little buildup)[/spoiler:3ai8mdm1]

Saw VI
Better than the last one, but that's not exactly saying much (as Saw V was pretty much horsesh*t :| ).

Horrorfest 4: The Final
Now this was a suprise as this is pretty good and is probably the best of the "Horrorfest 4" films. Essentially, this is what would've happened if the Columbine killers were avid horror film fans who decide to take their revenge on their tormentors at a costume party.

Horrorfest 4: Dread
Could've been a great horror story, but I hated the main characters too much to care and there's some really bad writing choices regarding the characters motivations and logic (if a guy breaks my computer equipment or tries to hit me, guess what? I ain't gonna hang around that guy anymore! :roll: ).
[spoiler:3ai8mdm1]There's also a plot twist regarding the antagonist and his parents murder that I kept expecting throughout the entire film, but it never came, which left me rather frustrated in the end[/spoiler:3ai8mdm1]

Horrorfest 4: Kill Theory
Kind of like Survivor for college kids - a psycho stalks a group of young adults in a cabin and tells them that they need to kill each other till only one is left alive or else he'll kill them all. Not super scary, but a decent-enough horror pic.

Horrorfest 4: Lake Mungo
Garbage, absolutely frick'n garbage - this isn't a horror film, hell no, this is like a crappy-ass news special that's a cross between NBC's Dateline and Unsolved Mysteries! :mrgreen:

Horrorfest 4: The Graves
Complete sh*t... :p

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
saw ´zombieland´ again. this time with a friend and boatloads of beer. that was a ride. i like woody harrelson as the leatherneck with all the one-liners!

good cinema!

i couldn´t decide between zombieland and survival of the dead. then i saw white43 rant about the latter and went for zombieland. good choice!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The caves will NOT PROTECT YOU! :p

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
seriously, what a crapfest. alex proyas is a hack now and roger ebert needs to stop reviewing films. I know he's never really been spot on but c'mon.

"Knowing" is among the best science-fiction films I've seen -- frightening, suspenseful, intelligent and, when it needs to be, rather awesome. ****

Nic cage, what can I say, he needs to stick to decent roles like lord of war and weather man and stop with these generic paycheck roles.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
drag me to hell.

it did.
:|

I dont even know the details of the 2nd half as I stopped paying attention.
biggest cliche ridden turd I have seen in a long time.

the best part was seeing Raimis car make a lengthy appearance.

Top Bottom