• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

beginner FanEditor using Mac, any & all help needed.

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
so as you can read by the title i am a iMac user with 2.66 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB RAM, and a nice 640 GB HDD(internal), with 2 separate 1 TB HDD's. so plenty of space to say the least.

i have Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express(all the other programs within Final Cut Pro), MPEG Streamclip, and many other useful tools for editing audio, and video.

i know this is probably a very difficult task, but can anyone out there that is a Mac FanEditor give me some sort of starting point to learn how to FanEdit? i just need a small project, i was thinking of taking a random movie and doing some re ordering of scenes, maybe put a different score here & there. you know, just so i can get familiar with the whole process. i have been watching tutorials for several Mac
programs from Lynda.com, but i was sure someone here could put it in better words to be understood.

More or less what i am asking is. if i pick out a movie, jot down what i want to do with the film, could anyone kind of just give some pointers, starting point, what to do here & there. one thing i am very boggled by is how to sync up and audio source with a video, such as a concert i was working on, the audio from the camera that recorded the show was horrible, but i had a soundboard copy i was trying to attach, but couldn't figure it out for nothing. this is one task i would very much love to learn, especially if any of my Mac programs like iMovie or whatever can do it.

i really appreciate all help by everyone, and i understand these are difficult questions, but i am dying to learn what you guys do here. i admire it so much, and want to do this for a hobby bad.

if anyone can help me feel free to pm or just reply to the post. thank you all!

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You seem to have all the perfect tools to start FanEditing right away. Final Cut Pro should do everything including authoring a DVD to a professional standard.

If you want a simple project to begin with, I would read the Marvel Consecution thread because making a short FanEdit is a great way to learn about the art form quickly. If you want to do a full length FanEdit make a thread in FanEdit ideas or IN THE WORKS and ask for advice as issues arise.

Also read the Mac guides that have been written by FanEdit members and watch Final Cut YouTube tutorials, which cover almost all editing situations.

Syncing issues can be a major pain but in almost all cases they can be fixed with patience and some good software, Soundtrack Pro in your case. Pick a clear sync point and begin from there. Another option and easier for music films is editing the images to the audio.

Here is the most important question you need to ask: the reason for picking a film to FanEdit.

Top Bottom