• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spartacus: Blood & Sand

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, as Nip/Tuck is going to be ending for good in a months time (or so) ive been looking around for something to replace my weekly dose of deviance, and what falls into my lap but Spartacus: Blood & Sand.

I only really came across this last night for the first time from a news link on Yahoo for the most explicit TV program ever made to be shown on UK TV.

so, one click later im reading about a period drama set in Ancient Rome and following a Thracian, Spartacus, who has been forced into Gladiator School for killing a Roman soldier. and that my friends is essentially the plot, fortunately they have added in lashing of violence, blood, sex and full fontal nudity (almost to the point of being soft core) you'll be pleased to know that this is all in historical context. well, ok maybe not that historical but its real enough to not make you go WTF?!?

dont know any of the actors involved apart from John Hannah, who plays the owner of the Gladiator School, with obvious glee at landing this role. a highlight of the first episode is him getting a blow job from a slave while he is talking to his wife who is also getting 'administered' too as well.

only two episodes so far but its certainly held my interest. although whether that is due to shock value we will have to see later on in the season.

if you like your drama loud, vicious and in your face then its probably worth checking out.

Sam Raimi is involved as a producer as well, which definitely bodes well. i hope...

btw Hein this probably wont be for you as the C word is chucked around more liberally than Weeds! or at least watch it when the wife isnt around ;)

I watched episode 1 for the most part. It started off quite cute, but got terrible for me. All that CGI stuff, the lame plot, the unneeded sex stuff... it was as commercial as it could get, combining movie and computer game look to a strange superficial mix. Not my show at all.

all good points and like i said if the story doesn't start to get interesting i'll be switching off as well. still at the mo it has a bit of potential.

nOmArch said:
all good points and like i said if the story doesn't start to get interesting i'll be switching off as well. still at the mo it has a bit of potential.

nOm - like you, several TV series ending now - but can't decide on whether this will be worth a watch. Did start watching Rome back along, but the sci-fi in me got attacted to other things. Is this worth the watch? I kinda got bored of Rome, but to be honest, I'd prob revisit.

after watching both episodes i can say its definitely worth it, for now...

if the story doesnt pick up by episode 6 then i will be rethinking my commitment.

but in the mean time, yeah give it a go.

ok found out that this is a 12 part mini series, which i think bodes well. After seeing episode three which was pretty good (much more story) i can see this turning out to be alright.

i can forgive some of the early cliches

[spoiler:3ipvuoe0]like Spartacus' woman being kidnapped and the Ludas Owner promising to help him find her if he does his part in the gladiator ring[/spoiler:3ipvuoe0]

as i now know they have a specific end in mind the story arc, i think, will play out ok.

Watched the first three episodes. Didn't think I'd make it as I thought the first episode was pretty awful, the acting, accents, CGI and fake blood effects were doing my head in a bit. Plus it bugged me that I had no idea where it was supposed to be based. Didn't mind the 300 style killing though. The sex scenes seemed a little uneccesary.

From Ep2-3 however, it nicely started to fall into place and I enjoyed it. Yea, it's a little cliche and is essentially almost Gladiator told slower.

Apart from John Hannah, I recognised Peter Mensah, who appeared as the 'This is madness' messenger in 300.

I failed to recognise Lucy Lawless as John Hannah's wife!

Think I'll see it out.

yeah after watching ep 3 i felt a lot better about the next nine episodes :)

Ten episodes in now and im glad ive stuck it out, the last couple of episodes have been particularly good. anyone else still watching?

nOmArch said:
Ten episodes in now and im glad ive stuck it out, the last couple of episodes have been particularly good. anyone else still watching?

Yep. Still liking. You just know that Spartacus and Crixus will end up being mates. Especially if you know your history.... :p

yeah grudging respect slowly turns into life long friendship... i was somewhat annoyed about Varro though, that really pissed me off :(

I would just like to say that next weeks episode is going to kick so much ass The Expendables is gonna have to be put back by a couple of months!

Yay Blu ray out next week with upgraded special effects and 4 episodes have been given the directors cut treatment with more risque stuff that had to be cut out of the tv broadcasts.

Also because season 2 has been put back by Andy Whitfields lymophoma we are getting a 6 part prequel series set in the ludus before Spartacus turned up, so we get more Lucy Lawless and John Hannah!

cool. I've been meaning to get around to watching this. Think I'll wait for the episodes with the new effects treatment.

I can stomach a decent amount of gore (didn't have a problem with Rome), but this series just sounds ick, frankly.

nOmArch said:
we get more Lucy Lawless and John Hannah!

lucy_lawless_bwgrey340_lucy_lawless_pKHJYuY.sized.jpg

Yer, I'll go for that.....

My only complaint is that he's a bit on the young side, other than that I think he would be an acceptable replacement.

nOmArch said:
My only complaint is that he's a bit on the young side, other than that I think he would be an acceptable replacement.

Andy Whitfield is 36, Miller is 38. But I see what you mean!

Just read something else which may suggest this is all bollocks anyway. Miller is saying it's just all rumour.

Back
Top Bottom