• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Pilots - Episode 3 - Voyager

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit Synopsis: The STAR TREK PILOTS project is a 3-DVD collection of the first episodes of THE NEXT GENERATION, DEEP SPACE NINE and VOYAGER - all in trimmed WIDESCREEN versions. This one is for fans, who always wanted to watch these shows without the worst annoyances on the big modern screens.
Episode Three: Voyager - Caretaker

tagline: To Boldly Finish
original film name: STAR TREK - VOYAGER - EPISODE 1/2: CARETAKER
new film name : Star Trek Pilots - Episode 3 - Voyager
film studio name : Paramount
edit crew name :CBB
Date Original Film Was Released : 1995
Date Edit Was Released : January 2010
Original Runtime : 91 minutes
New Runtime : 89 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added : 2 minutes cut

Cuts removed/added/extended :
- shortened Janeway/Paris prison encounter
- shortened first farm scene (to get rid of ad break)
- shortened battle between Kazon and Voyager, because it makes them too much appear as if they are a match for them.

Trailer:
[youtubewide:22aob1p1]

Fanedit details:
This is a widescreen version of CARETAKER, the pilot double episode of Star Trek - VOYAGER. The most striking annoyances have been removed for a better overall pilot episode.

Voyager started interesting with the space travel, but the first enemy they faced (the Kazon) already revealed a lot of weaknesses. So many episodes were flawed, embarrassing or just bad. But some are among the best that Star Trek TV shows have ever been. The most important edit for the pilot episode was to make the super-giant Kazon ship less of a menace, because Voyager has a much higher advanced technology and it feels just wrong if these space savages come up with an indestructible spaceship.

DVD details:
1.78:1 aspect ratio
English audio in true 5.1 ac-3
English subtitles
Switching menus (you'll see what they are)
Teaser/Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Making Of
Info on all 37 CBB fanedits

Intention for this fanedit:
Once again I struggled with the overall bad video quality of the original DVD. I reframed every scene to make it fit to the widescreen format. When it came to the editing there was not too much I wanted to remove from this episode as it is all introducing the characters or plot essential, without ever being great. The beginning and the basic idea for the Caretaker are nice (except for the annoying Tom Paris, who is made way too important), but when it then comes to the farmhouse world, the Kazon on the planet, who are an advanced species but cannot produce water, the strange underground society of the Ocampa and the always annoying Neelix, things get seriously worse. It took me a long while to motivate myself, because I do not like the episode much and reframing a 90 minutes movie again was also not as much fun as it was with the first one.
The decision to remove several scenes with the super-sized Kazon spaceship was the most important one to add a tiny bit of star Trek reality to the episode.
Like both predecessors this is not at all Star Trek movie quality. It is a labour of love for fans of the show, who will probably never see it in widescreen nor in HD quality.

How the intention was achieved:
1. reframing EVERY scene of the movie to make it fit to the widescreen format. Only very few times the center could be used. Some parts had to be zoomed and additionally cut to not chop off heads.
2. editing

Hardware and software information:
video: Avisynth (for noise reduction) , Virtualdub (for cropping, deinterlacing of a few scenes, framerate changing (from PAL to NTSC), recoloring, creating lagarith video, black level correction, Jasc Paint Shop Pro for image creation and alteration, Sony Vegas for editing and reframing, CCE for m2v creation
audio: headac3he to create stereo audio, which I used as workfile, cinematize pro for 5.1 ac-3 to wave conversion, adobe audition for PAL to NTSC audio conversion, Sony Vegas for 5.1 creation
ripping and DVD extraction: dvd fab decrypter, pgcdemux
subtitles: subrip, subtitle workshop
DVD authoring: DVD lab pro, Jasc Paint Shop pro for images, Adobe Audition and Sony Vegas for audio

Additional Comment:
This release is not (and maybe cannot be) perfect. Here are the known issues:
To turn 1.33:1 to 1.78:1 meant to sacrifice more than 20% of the visible image from top and bottom. This results in:
big faces, some blurry images, some artifacts, some noise.
Because of the overall rather bad image quality of the DVD source there is also in some scenes:
blurriness, a bit of stuttering, quite some visible noise pixelation.
The original comes with a lot of video imperfections and I was not able to correct them all by upscaling the video and using the best possible tools.

What you should also know:
As for almost all shows of the 80s and 90s this one was shot, edited and effect-worked on video, not film. There is no high quality master, so you will probably NEVER really get a widescreen version or even a HD version of this. This fanedit will give you a glimpse of what Voyager would have looked like as a modern show.

Time needed for the edition: 7 weeks (reframing of every scene takes a lot longer when motivation slows down)
other persons involved: AvP (cover art)

kickass cover art by AvP (download here):
3D_ST_pilots3_art_by_avp.jpg

downloadable from fanedit.info through Rapidshare. If there is enough interest I can launch a torrent.

Back
Top Bottom