• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Your Best Movie Punch-Up or Fight?

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What are your three favorite movie punch-ups or fights? ....and I am not talking about Martial Arts.

These ones left an indelible impression on me.

The first is in 3 Days Of The Condor (1975) when an assassin postman tries to deliver a package to Robert Redford. This fight is so strong and brutal that it was heavily censored for many years even without any blood or swearing being involved. Only now with the DVD release can it be seen its original form.

The second is from Marathon Man (1976) when Roy Scheider is attacked by a creepy assassin armed with cheese wire. This again was censored but was uncut on VHS and subsequent DVD's. Roy Scheider stated he wanted the fight to be very realistic, so John Schlesinger let go of the stunt men and Scheider staged it himself.

The third is from Goodfellas (1990) when Liotta pistol whips his neighbour. This really convinced me because the actor that plays the victim begins by struggling and his body is stiff but as he is hit repeatedly his body goes limp and he becomes a rag doll. Very realistic and shocking.

These three scenes have something in common. They tried to hide any contrived choreography and showed the punch-up/fight as chaotic and ugly.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Off the top of my head I'd have to say

They Live - Alley Brawl

Matrix Reloaded - Neo vs Smith Showdown

Highlander - Connor vs Kurgan

will have to have a bit more of a think as im sure i can come up with a better list.

Roy Batty

Reaction score
Trophy Points
James Bond (Connery) v Red Grant (Shaw) in From Russia with Love on the train.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Austin Powers vs. Ms. Exposition

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A few come to mind.
the first is a fight like no other. It not only thrilling but also sad, poignant, reveals character and alters the plot.
Paul Newman in the boxing match with George Kennedy in COOL HAND LUKE.
you could say that RAGING BULL has similar fights but none are bitter sweet like in LUKE.
BULL is all bitter.

Next, Charles Foster Kane tearing a room apart in CITIZEN KANE. Welles acting is extraordinary.
You might think he's not fighting anyone. Believe me, he is. And the scene is downright scary.

The last is an awesome scene in a so-so film. Gregory Peck fights Charlton Heston in THE BIG COUNTRY.
Not sure why. it's been years since I saw the film but it's the first one that came to mind.
So i guess it made an impression.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure these qualify as my "best," exactly, but they're the first ones that came to mind, so they must have made pretty strong impressions:

My Bodyguard (1980), where the picked-on kid finally takes down the bully. This really resonated with me when I was a shy and sometimes picked-on kid myself. Just watched it again on YouTube. My God, Matt Dillon, Adam Baldwin, and Joan Cusack were young in that (almost as young as I was when I watched it)...

The Four Musketeers (1974), where Milady (Faye Dunaway) and D'artagnan (Michael York) go at it in her bedroom after he's slept with her. He has to defend himself in nothing but a bedsheet against Milady's all-too-convincing insane wrath, not to mention her daggers filled with acid.

Die Hard, the fight between Bruce Willis and Alexander Gudonov. It's not about Willis in this scene for me; instead, it's about the vicious and surgical precision with which Gudonov, the former ballet dancer, delivers kick after kick with perfect technique.

If TV is also fair game (and I know this is four, but...), I'd say the extended fight between Ray Winstone as Will Scarlet and Jason Connery as the "new" Robin in the second season premiere of Robin of Sherwood. It is long, it is mean, and it looks both funny and deadly serious as Robert of Huntingdon tries to prove that he's a worthy successor to Robin of Loxley.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Predator vs Dutch - Predator

Matrix vs Bennett - Commando

Jack vs Angel - Fight Club

(There are probably better ones but these are the first that came to mind so they win I guess)

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it's a very short fight, but a lot of build up - the finale from "Once upon a time in the West"

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Timmy vs Jimmy Swanson - Cripple Fight in South Park. :lol:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cruise vs. Dougray Scott on the beach at the end of Mission: Impossible II. Just awesome.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
white43 said:
Timmy vs Jimmy Swanson - Cripple Fight in South Park. :lol:

Peter Griffin vs. the giant chicken in Family Guy :grin:

Top Bottom