• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Spider-Man 4 - Will it suck?

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marc Webb (who?) announced as the new director.
No Sam Raimi
No Tobey Maguire
Probably nobody returning anyway.

People are talking about it being a prequel? Wtf?
Maybe a reboot... who knows...
Actually, it won't be called Spider-Man 4 since it's not continuing anything.

Anyway, it''d be wise to keep hopes really really low.
This could make Spider-Man 3 look like Casablanca in comparison.

Anyway, let the pun begin with...

"Webb of Spider-Man" :grin:

edit: some info at slashfilm

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
heh.

Well, truth be told, I wasn't a huge fan of the original casting to begin with.
I guess Tobey Maguire turned out okay but coulda been better.
Mary Jane is supposed to be the hottest girl in school and become somes kind of supermodel or actress... not Kirsten Dunst.

So there can possibly be improvement in casting.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well seeing as how 3 put such a bad taste in my mouth I dont really give a crap what they do.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
well seeing as how 3 put such a bad taste in my mouth I dont really give a crap what they do.

agreed after Spider-man 3 i don't care about the franchise so if they turn from batman forever to batman and robin i won't care, if it's good it will be a nice surprise

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Raimi's films have their faults, but I like them anyway (the third one is a real guilty pleasure). I was looking forward to see fourth movie with Lizard as a villain...but this not gonna happen anymore.

And the new on is supposed to be reboot with teenage Spidey back in high school. With unknown cast, and budget lowered to 80 million $ (caus they think that if New Moon made with 50 million budget could get 700 million in BO, Spidey can do it too).

Thanks, but no thanks.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah Lizard would have been good, but they may have screwed up with bad CGI.
I'd been hoping for the Kraven's Last Hunt/Fearful Symmetry storyline.

kravenslasthunt.JPG

IIRC, Kraven the Hunter buries Spidey alive, takes over as Spider-Man and ends up...
[spoiler:28aviyfc]blowing his own head off with a hunting rifle[/spoiler:28aviyfc]
Gotta love that crazy bastard.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah Lizard would have been good, but they may have screwed up with bad CGI.
I'd been hoping for the Kraven's Last Hunt/Fearful Symmetry storyline.

I was hoping that SM4 will be Kraven's Last Hunt but with Lizard in place of Vermin. It would have been perfect for me.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Considering last rumors were of Vulture being the sole villain in Spidey 4, I'm glad the film never got made.

I'm not looking forward to an angst-ridden Spidey, but if its good I'll welcome the pleasant surprise.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking as one who believes we've only had one good Spidey movie (I even found the flawed 3 better than the entirely meh 1), I see no reason why it shouldn't be good. I just wish they'd do it in Avatar-like 3D.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What I find amusing is Sony insisting they base these movies more on "Ultimate Spider-Man", which itself isnt the grittiest Spider-Man title of them, in fact, it's becoming more and more like a teenage Archie with a Harem Comedy concept

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't been paying attention...
I just don't get the "Ultimate" aspect.
Is it not part of canon or something like that? Or is it part of the regular continuity

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just don't think that another background story will be any good. Unless this is to be a sequel to 3, in which case it will suck enormously. BTW - 3 sucks and was the worst.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Raimi firmly established himself in the "Hollywood big time" with Spider-Man 1, then Spider-Man 2 made him the man with the midas touch.

I enjoyed these first two installments very much, even with some reservations about the casting of the doe eyed Maguire. I really looked forward to 3 and what a pile of shite that was.... I have a feeling it was a case of self-sabotage on the part of Raimi as so many elements of Spider-Man 3 were so plainly wrong.

As for the fourth, I have seen Maguire interviewed and he talks about preproduction and a shooting schedule for 2010 and release in summer 2011. Raimi has got his wish and is released from the Spider-Man franchise unless Columbia try and buy him back, that is.

I have no idea what to expect after the debacle that was Spider-Man 3 but it seems that with The Dark Knight, a gritty realism is desired by the audience when it comes to comic book adaptations.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mollo said:
... but it seems that with The Dark Knight, a gritty realism is desired by the audience when it comes to comic book adaptations.

Agree, more realism is a good way to introduce the world of superheroes to people who, like me, are not in love with this kind of characters.
But I think it worked very well with Batman because the character itself is not really a superhero.
Same goes with Iron Man (a movie not very grounded in realism though!): those two characters don't have superpowers, but they built them, and make them true to achieve their goal.
I think THAT's why Batman and Iron Man worked so well. Their stories are grounded in a kind of realism from the start.
Superheroes who get their powers by luck, or coincidences and have issues to use them are not that interesting, to me at least. (I like Spidey 1 - 2 and Superman 1- 2, though.)

Spidey reboot, as a teen? count me out.

Bobgarcia74

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any chance that we can finally give the Green Gobin some movie justice, Im all for.

More
Thunderbolts_120__Green_Goblin_by_Summerset.jpg

or better yet
GreenGoblin.jpg

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was more hoping that they would continue with the established movies and continue with that story. When I first heard about the reboot, I thought it would suck and thought the idea of a reboot was lame. I was asking why the hell they reboot when they have such a billion dollar franchise already established.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobgarcia74 said:
Any chance that we can finally give the Green Gobin some movie justice, Im all for.
I couldn't stand GG in SM1.
I didn't like the casting and hated the costume even more.
I also read somewhere that Marvel will start moving away from dark and gritty superhero movies

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well its not a Marvel movie, its a Sony movie and they seem to want to make another Twilight out of the Spider-Man franchise which is just sad :-( . As for Green Goblin, as much as I like Gobby, I think we've had enough of the Goblins for the time being. Some Lizard, Rhino, Shocker, and Kraven would be highly welcomed by me.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jeez, I could do without any Goblin stuff for the next few movies. Plenty of other villains to choose from.

Top Bottom