• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The most precise pi day in history was on the 14th March 1592.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wiki:
" March 14 is also the birthday of Albert Einstein and the two events are sometimes celebrated together."

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just because I've "gotten used to it", that still doesn't make it any easier to read. :(

I'm also wondering just how much of the topic of film fanediting made it's way into The People Vs. George Lucas documentary, as none of the reviews I've read on it seem to mention anything about that.
(although appearantly the film does feature way too many instances of SW nerds bitching and moaning over Phantom Menace and how much it ruined the Star Wars franchise :roll: )

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No one likes a negative review. As I always say, "If you're happy with it, who cares if someone out there doesn't?"

Actually, I don't think I've ever used that exact phrase before. So when I said "As I always say" a moment ago, I was lying.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Figure this is probably the best place for this so, here goes.

Since ive been on a bit of a Lou Reed trip this last week or so i decided to have a bash at Metal Machine Music again. For those who dont know heres the Wiki Link, its also well worth reading the A humorous essay on the 25th anniversary of Metal Machine Music as it'll probably give you some insight into why i have spent the last few days doing what ive been doing.

Like most people ive always thrown MMM on for about a minute or two before declaring it one of my more pointless purchases ever, but since im in a Lou frame of mind i thought why not give it a serious try (also the essay kinda inspired me to make a bit more of an effort) so i did.

At the fifth attempt i managed to sit through an entire side, and it wasnt half as bad as i imagined, i think the problem is you kinda have to detune yourself and just let the noise roll over you until your brain starts finding its own patterns and rhythms within the aural assault and battery. once i got this far everything became a lot easier (relatively) and i began to be able to discern something in there still not at all sure what that is but everytime i put it on i find a little bit more, its almost like watching a very complicated movie and each time you watch it you find something new you hadn't noticed before. it is still a far from pleasurable experience though i know its weird saying this after a while it becomes, certainly not comforting, but a familarity in certain passages and structure of sorts. i know it sounds like ive been smoking way to much but i am absolutely sure he wasnt just pissing about and had a serious intent when he made the album.

Still with me? ok. so i started thinking about patterns and things and remembered Aphex Twins Windowlicker EP where Richard James encoded his face into one of the tracks (as well as a few other images) and you could view it using a spectrograph (in fact you can see it in Audition although its a bit messed up as you cant configure the spectrograph correctly) and thought that might be a good place to start.

While visually quite interesting theres nothing really there at all, until you start zooming into the wave then things get a lot more interesting as visually there is definitely patterns and all sorts of odd things going on in the visual data. again nothing i have found so far points to any kind of overall pattern or direction (if its even possible to work out something like that) and until i can be arsed to poke around in there much more its a bit of a dead end.

I've also been listening to the Fripp & Eno album No Pussyfooting which was also made just using tape loops and other editing tricks. on the remastered version Fripp included some new remixes where he had reversed some tracks and then slow other down to half speed and things of that nature, so why not give that a try methinks.

Five mins later MMM is in Audition and i have halved the speed and hit play...

Bloody hell. thats music! ok not in the 'normal' sense of the word but ever listened to meditation tapes? its quite simply the oddest thing ive found in a while you can actually here guitar riffs and other things which sound like people screaming, someone playing an electric glockenspiel, all sorts of single notes and trills and things.

I've only done it to the first side as it takes half an hour at half speed and even longer if you slow it down by x3 where there are again different sounds to be picked up. but i cant wait to have a bash at the three other tracks and try reversing as well.

Absolutely fascinating (at least i think so)

The final nail for me was while reading an interview Lou did with someone about the Zeitkratzer live performance of Metal Machine Music and he talked about a new noise track he had made called Fire Music which came about him asking some audio techs if it would be possible to do something like MMM with digital equipment, their answer was yes but it would be difficult and also why would you want to? so Lou did it.

Every different way ive played with MMM so far i have done with Fire Music and its just noise, multi layered but noise all the same.

I have no final point, i just wanted to share something i've found rather intriguing.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
unless you are real "math smart", dont ever take an astronomy class thinking it will be easy credits.

Frak me.

Lucf

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@nOmArch maybe you know Pierre Henry music? Its sth like Lou Reeds MMM :)
Recommended!

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
haha yes he is. but I dig his looks in a non-gay film fan way.
he looks like a believable everyman.
too bad I always associate him as marcus from t4.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be fair, we've only seen him in two rather bland roles so far. I myself am withholding judgment on his skills pending further evidence, and agree that he has an interesting face.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dont expect much depth from him in clash of the Titans.

I thought he was the best part of T4 and decent as "real" Jake Sully.
guy needs more dramatic roles to stretch his legs though.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
holy crap Mass Effect 2 is awesome!

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3 reviews at ain't cool news says the 3D of Clash Of The Titans is total shit.
Quickly done poor "layer 3D". Hair of the characters is sometime on the background...
I love good 3D, but I'll go this one on 2D. If I ever go.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is what happens when you film a movie in 2D and then try to jump on the bandwagon of a hugely profitable 3D film by converting your film in time for it's release date.

Hollywood really seem to be trying to kill the 3D craze quickly. Shoddy releases, rising ticket prices...way to go guys. :roll:

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
meh, 3d never really had me.
it was super cool when I was a kid and jaws and jason did it but now (other than avatar) I could give a rip.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Same for me. Avatar was the best 3D I have ever seen (mostly because it was subtle) but it didn't leave me wanting more 3D. The only film I am even considering seeing the 3D version of is Tron Legacy. ...And even then, probably not.

I'd much rather be sucked into the world of a film by the narrative.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:

playthrough #2...

I still hate Miranda. :twisted:

I want to see How To Train Your Dragon.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghostcut said:
I want to see How To Train Your Dragon.

apparently they have dicked about with the story majorly, lots of book fans have been complaining.

im still gonna watch it though.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've read the book, and just from the trailer it looks to have almost no connection to the original book. It'll be much easier to disassociate the two in my mind than, say, Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Top Bottom