• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
I found the "Tribute to Horror Films" stupidly hilarious, partly because it was presented by cast of Twilight (really Hollywood? Really?!), but also because a good half of the movies shown weren't horror films (and I'm pretty sure that all of them or nearly all of them were US films, so no love for foreign horror films).
I was thinking the same thing. I'm having trouble remembering specifics, but Beetlejuice was one that jumped out at me.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
AVATAR was perhaps not enough original to get the best movie award, I agree with that, but giving the best director to Cameron would have been fair regard to the amazing job he has done for AVATAR, IMO.
"Amazing job"? He directed a cartoon!
(it was technically impressive and developed a lot of interesting technolgies for filmmaking, but Avatar still amount to nothing more than a cartoon... in more ways than just the graphics :roll: )

TMBTM said:
In a way it's understandable: "best directing" should lead to "best movie", but in this case I think AVATAR should have won more than FX awards because people loved the movie around the world.
Fun fact: the Academy doesn't give a sh*t what audiences around the world think.
If it did, Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen would've also been nominated for Best Picture. :p :mrgreen:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haven't seen Hurt Locker yet, but I've been meaning to, and from what I've heard I'm glad it won, though I wouldn't at all have minded a Basterds victory.

And one could make a very strong case for Cameron for Avatar, but who doesn't love a woman winning best director in the world for once?

All in all, a pretty dull and overlong show, but apart from Bullock, solid wins all around. And, the Star Trek franchise has won an Oscar! Whoo-hoo!

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
JasonN said:
I found the "Tribute to Horror Films" stupidly hilarious, partly because it was presented by cast of Twilight (really Hollywood? Really?!), but also because a good half of the movies shown weren't horror films (and I'm pretty sure that all of them or nearly all of them were US films, so no love for foreign horror films).
I was thinking the same thing. I'm having trouble remembering specifics, but Beetlejuice was one that jumped out at me.
Edward Scissorhands was another that left my head scratching.
Oh and they could also show Twilight.... but not Let The Right One In?!? That's utter bullsh*t! :evil:

One last thought that came to my mind while watching:
Where The Wild Things Are wasn't nominated for anything.... really??? :-?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:

And not to mention that they included a clip from Twilight itself. I mean, seriously? :wat: And did they have to pick a clip from Friday The 13th Part V, the one film that doesn't have Jason in it. And yes JasonN all the films presented were US films but they did include a couple of clips from the US remake of The Ring, which while still an American film it's at least a nod to foreign horror films, a weak nod but a nod nonetheless.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
TV's Frink said:
JasonN said:
Edward Scissorhands was another that left my head scratching.
But he had SCISSORS FOR HANDS!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And before it gets taken off, here's what I found to be the most entertaining portion of last night's Oscars - the interviews with the characters of the Best Animated Film selection:

EDIT: And the clip got removed. Here's another video of it (starts at 1:10):
[youtubewide:u0m7nxs8]

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
JasonN said:

And not to mention that they included a clip from Twilight itself. I mean, seriously? :wat:
that clip was from NEW MOON.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked the 82nd academy awards. Bigelow for best director was good. Jeff Bridges... well, he played it well, but I was bored by the movie. Avatar was betrayed for 2 Oscars (sound editing and sound mixing). Hurt Locker as best film is fine with me. Sandra Bullock: nice. Christoph Waltz: YES!!! Presentation by Steve martin and Alec Baldwin: really cute.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
Frantic Canadian said:
JasonN said:

And not to mention that they included a clip from Twilight itself. I mean, seriously? :wat:
that clip was from NEW MOON.

Twilight, New Moon. They're the from the same crappy movie series anyways. I was just trying to point out that I found it both laughable and insulting that they'd insert it into a tribute to horror movies. But I guess they felt obliged since they had two of the stars from that series introducing the montage.

Did you watch the show or are you just refering to the results?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
"Amazing job"? He directed a cartoon!
(it was technically impressive and developed a lot of interesting technolgies for filmmaking, but Avatar still amount to nothing more than a cartoon... in more ways than just the graphics :roll: )
I understand (and share) you point of view about the lasy story but Cameron really directed the actors "on set" with a camera on his shoulder like a real movie, it was his goal and I think it shows.
CGI of the Avatars is like CGI make up. So to me it's more real movie than cartoon in the way that not many characters animation were done post shooting.
And after all cartoons also are movies.
"Films (also referred to as movies or motion pictures) are produced by recording images from the world with cameras, or by creating images using animation techniques or visual effects."
I would not mind an animated movie winning the Oscar's best film.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can someone explain this?

AniPadme%20Meadow2.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock:

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
A high school student who just discovered Photoshop and thinks that Episode 2: Attack of the Clones is the single greatest movie ever made.
There, I explained it. :roll:

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
TV's Frink said:
A high school student who just discovered Photoshop and thinks that Episode 2: Attack of the Clones is the single greatest movie ever made.
There, I explained it. :roll:
Hmmm...does "he who smelt it dealt it" apply here?
;)

Actually, I'm suspicious of boon...
boon23 said:

Top Bottom