• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LIKE-PIE.jpg

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there is an "i" in pie!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
In all fairness to you: you simply deserve better from a fellow faneditor. And this is my opinion.
Are people entitled to their opinions? Oh yes. But others are also entitled to not like their opinion at all and react accordingly. Good thing is, we are most of all a great community of nice people here. :)
I have to agree 100% with boon here. yes, when you release something you are open to criticism, but I think elbarto but it perfectly when he compared it to a school grade. 50%??? gimme a break. That is a MAJOR fail, and I consider this bullshit. Way too much work and care went into it. And the reviews show.

Don't get me wrong, criticism is positive, but lets be realistic. I am all for treat others as you want to be treated yourself. clearly this was no F.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still don't even know what this 5 rating is referring to! :-?

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
elbarto1 said:
I gather he just rates the main film in a general score.
I do that too. Whilst it takes a lot of effort and talent to make nice menus and cover art and extras, they aren't what is improtant to me as an audience. Each person brings their own criteria to a rating.

I understand and accept that. its just irksome. I try to look at "what an editor did to create this end product" and take into account not only plot, proper cuts and narrative, but dvd extras, menus, art - I look at all the work, not just a piece (even if the piece is the main course) :)
diffrent strokes I guess ;)

Uncanny Antman said:
elbarto1 said:
this edit took me 10 months and despite the complete inability to appeal to everyone, I figured the craftsmanship, coupled with the bonus materials and DVD authoring at least accounts for a C-.
Did you do the edit for yourself, or for other people? I mean this as an honest question, not to antagonize. It's a cliché but as long as you do the edit for yourself, then it really doesn't matter how people rate it.

I learned on my first edit that I am not in control once it has been released, thats part of the fun - seeing what others think and get their opinions but In this particular scenario I just dont fully understand the reasoning (I mean no personal offence here) it feels like, you named this wrong because its still not able to be taken w/ a straight face so what you tried to do didnt work so its crap. I know those words werent what was said but thats the feeling I got. I'm a sensitive flower and that just came off as harsh and rubbed me the wrong way.

Uncanny Antman said:
Don't be down, ElBarto. :D
Nah, I'm good - I just hope this thread doesnt drive a wedge between me, mollo or anyone else. I meant no disrespect, only to voice my frustration and I assume he meant the same.

boon23 said:
In all fairness to you: you simply deserve better from a fellow faneditor. And this is my opinion.
Are people entitled to their opinions? Oh yes. But others are also entitled to not like their opinion at all and react accordingly. Good thing is, we are most of all a great community of nice people here. :)

I agree but I want people to call em as they see em. I am just of the mind that if I am rating something low - I need to be sure its truly bad and not just "not my preference". For example, both KOTCS edits I have seen (neither were finished) - neither really appealed to me, however I wouldnt call them bad or rate them low, I empathize with the editor, try to see things from his/her view and go from there - I suppose I just review more personally than others and when I read a review I read into it more personally than intended. Cant help it - delicate flower and all, remember! :wink:

zeppelinrox said:
It really is very subjective to the reviewer as to how much weight he wants to put on different aspects of the fanedit.
Compared to the orginal (better or worse), technical stuff, plot holes, editing choices, expectations, etc...

But I think it starts off with whether I even liked the original.
If I hated the original, it's very unlikely that I'd watch a fanedit of it.

depends on the editor for me, alot of boons edits I dont care for the originals but know that he can deliver a polished turd and that draws me to edits I didnt care for the original
zeppelinrox said:
Personally, I don't see how Adywan's SW gets such massive attention.
I like star wars, but I'm not THAT hard core about it.
Besides, if memory serves, Darth Editous' version seems to have the best video quality of all the EP IV's that I've seen.
Perhaps I even enjoyed that more than Adywan's.

I never saw DE's version but Ady gets high marks from me because he devoted so much time and effort to achieve what Lucas himself couldn't or wouldn't give us. its the effort that wins me over - the final product is great but I wouldnt praise it as highly if he just ran it through a program that did the work - theres blood, sweat and tears in there and I can see it.

Uncanny Antman said:
boon23 said:
This is always just partly right. If you keep it to yourself, you can be proud of it for yourself. But as soon as you release it, you hand it out and become vulnerable to criticism.
That's the part I agree with...if you don't want to hear any negative reactions, don't release it. If you only want praise, keep it to yourself. (Even family and friends can't be counted on all the time for blind praise. Believe me! :D)

I can take negative - I survived Jorge and Molasar savagely ripping apart my Alien 4 edit and that was a huge eye opener, this just feels like the reviewer didnt "get" my intentions, didnt like what I did and cast off a quick negative review. I dont claim to say "you cant do that" I would just like to know more about the issues than - you did it wrong. what was wrong about it? could it have been done differently to achieve a better effect - Is it really wrong, or was it just not your cup of tea? yada yada yada.

Uncanny Antman said:
Apologies if it seems like I was tring to start an argument. It was really not my intention.

Never interpreted that way, I appreciate the dialog we have here. I just hope I havent crossed a line with my whining. :oops:

Ghostcut said:

:) MMM!

ThrowgnCpr said:
boon23 said:
I have to agree 100% with boon here. yes, when you release something you are open to criticism, but I think elbarto but it perfectly when he compared it to a school grade. 50%??? gimme a break. That is a MAJOR fail, and I consider this bullshit. Way too much work and care went into it. And the reviews show.

Don't get me wrong, criticism is positive, but lets be realistic. I am all for treat others as you want to be treated yourself. clearly this was no F.

I thank you for having my back but I refuse to call a review that was written and rated "bullshit" (yes I called it a 'shit score' above because 50%=shit in blind taste test review land) but I do believe there is a rhyme and a reason to it and I respect him enough (as a fellow editor) to listen rather than yell.

Again, I hope that this is regarded as constructive because I dont want mollo or any other user to feel that their reviews will be attacked if they are less than favorable, thats not what I am about - I like the freedoms we have here and want to hear about why you liked or disliked something. I just hope we are still friends at the end of the day :)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wouldn't worry about 'whining', ElBarto. Nothing wrong with wanting to explore why an edit got rated the way it did. Knowledge is power. :)

And I'm glad you didn't see my part of this conversation as an attack. I just want you to be happy. :)

...'cause I'm a nice guy, I'm not even gonna make a dirty joke about your delicate flower. ;)

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
But I am pretty sure that it's just nice if faneditors treat each other with the utmost possible respect. Just my 2 cents.

I mean no disrespect to Elbarto1 or anyone for that matter.

boon23 said:
you deserve more for your efforts, especially from a fellow faneditor and academy member.

I am sure that last thing an Artist wants is to be shielded from honest and informed criticism. This very process ensures Artistic growth.

elbarto1 said:
this just feels like the reviewer didnt "get" my intentions, didnt like what I did and cast off a quick negative review. I dont claim to say "you cant do that" I would just like to know more about the issues than - you did it wrong. what was wrong about it?

As I stated, I feel the title concept failed in execution. This felt and showed itself to be very much a FanEdit. Every time I am reminded it has been cut or is abridged it takes me out of the experience.

Now I know Elbarto1 is a nice guy and you want to show your support for him and his work and show your disapproval of me and my opinion. But I am ONLY commenting on the work.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mollo said:
Now I know Elbarto1 is a nice guy and you want to show your support for him and his work and show your disapproval of me and my opinion. But I am ONLY commenting on the work.
There is no such thing as "ONLY". You do what you do and when done in public, people will react to it. See, I ONLY want to point out that this thing follows you for a long time now, Mollo. Your way to rate fanedits is not seen as appropriate in so many cases. It brought you in trouble before and it is again. Now is everybody else wrong and you are right? Will you send me another pm to correct a rating like you did so many times before?
The attitude of some people will always bother me, especially when they could be, or should be "the good guys". Constructive works differently. Positive thinking works differently.
You of all people, who have talked to me a hundred times about feeling unfairly treated with ratings for your fanedits, should know better. Is it really so hard?

It seems to me you want to be treated as "just" audience, yet this is not what you are. "Name them as seeing them" is in a community never a good option, except if you are an extremely positive or nice guy. Carefully addressing works really well. Respecting other people's art works truly great. And in this very case we are talking about someone, who delivered a wonderful package and spend an enormous effort in creating it. The love for detail and the care shows in everything. Thing is: this fanedit and this faneditor deserve a bit more than just a rant. They deserve respect.
It is what you have been asking for yourself a lot of times. And that's the very thing I don't get.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The DVD transfer of The Abyss Special Edition is absolutely bloody shocking!

Letterboxed widescreen, horrible deinterlacing, looks almost like a vhs tape on my flat screen the image is so soft :evil:

ok it only cost me £3 but you would of thought they'd worked out how to make a decent transfer by the time The Abyss came out.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think some of your comments above are unfair and revisionary but I will accept them.

I need to learn from this experience and think harder before writing a less than positive review. Sorry to all concerned, especially Elbarto1.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mollo said:
I need to learn from this experience and think harder before writing a less than positive review. Sorry to all concerned, especially Elbarto1.
this, Sir, shows great spirit and is one of the hardest things to do. Thanks for writing it and I am looking forward to our future. :)

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
it´s never too soon for a group hug...

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what's FC doing there right in the middle? ;-)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
boon23 said:

I thank you for having my back but I refuse to call a review that was written and rated "bullshit" (yes I called it a 'shit score' above because 50%=shit in blind taste test review land) but I do believe there is a rhyme and a reason to it and I respect him enough (as a fellow editor) to listen rather than yell.

Again, I hope that this is regarded as constructive because I dont want mollo or any other user to feel that their reviews will be attacked if they are less than favorable, thats not what I am about - I like the freedoms we have here and want to hear about why you liked or disliked something. I just hope we are still friends at the end of the day :)

I think you overestimated my intentions. Never do I intend, or really appreciate others who get super defensive about there work. There is a history here, and perhaps my comment was without some context. All the time we (admins/mods) have had to deal with comments and reactions. 1 and 2 star ratings without comment, extremely harsh comments, faneditors attacking reviewers because they "don't get their art," and faneditors PMing us because of ratings. Whether people see it as a community or not, it really is, and it has to function that way.

I don't like when faneditors get super defensive about their works, and argue every point made by a reviewer, and on the flipside I don't appreciate an extremely harsh review/rating on a fanedit (If its on FE, it almost surely is impossible to get a 1 star). Do we have either of those cases here? Absolutely not. I can't change Mr. Mollo's reaction to the film. What he saw and experienced is it. Thats how it works. It simply didn't work for him. Really thats how it should be. There should be no "level of disbelief" crap. A fanedit should be viewed exactly like a film. And I don't think his review was all that bad. But there is a number attached to it. And I think your school-grade analogy was a good one. 5 is 50%. Which is a fail. To me that means the plot, entertainment, technical audio and video editing skill, authoring, and presentation all had to be bad. And I do think that is bullshit. I'm sticking with that word.

Like i said, this all seems a bit of big deal for what it is, but there is a story/history behind everything.

...now, on to that group hug :)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very well said Throw. I for one thank you for clarifying your stance about the review versus rating thing. Makes a lot of sense, 'cause I hadn't thought of it in those terms before.

It's still funny to me that an editor would ever PM a mod about a poor rating. I mean...is it just to complain, or to have them 'do something about this travesty'? :-?

grouphug1w.jpg

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
It's still funny to me that an editor would ever PM a mod about a poor rating. I mean...is it just to complain, or to have them 'do something about this travesty'? :-?
The one and only time I had a real problem with a rating was about one of my dusty silent Star Wars and I used my right to rate my own edit to balance the poor and unfair (from my point of view) rating.
Of course I did mention it on the review section of the edit's page.

Just to say that if you REALLY believe a rating is unfair, you can rate your own edit.
It's not a glorifying thing to do, but it's a right.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I gots no beef with someone rating their own edit. I used to do it myself.

(But I didn't always rate them a 10, if that's what you're thinking. ;) )

Top Bottom