• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zeppelinrox said:
first thought is fill a container enough for the water to be neck high and cover the top with something and let the cat splash around violently :twisted:

i ended up doing something quite similar actually but substituted container for shower cubicle, it worked pretty well. :)

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
how do you clean up a pissed off, 10lb, long haired, shit smeared cat who doesnt like being brushed...

...is what i was asking myself three hours ago.

This wasn't the new one was it? Bear?

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep, lucky ol' me... first time ive ever taken a shower with a cat lol

on a side note, once he dried off in my sock drawer (he really didnt like the hairdryer) he has seemed a lot happier and is definitely a lot less cranky, hes going to the vet thursday for a basic checkup and to get him registered so i'll ask the vet as i think he might have a bit of a skin condition as he has some dandruff on his back and the hair there seems very dried out and not at all silky like the rest of him is.

still, i almost got a purr out of him earlier so i guess i must be doing something right.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wish I had this much balls -

spaceballs-tattoo.jpg

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got the belly down, the moobies are a long way off still :smile:

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pointy 50's style moobs at that!

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
:x really, a 5?
I am with you there, buddy. :) Can't rate it twice, but you know I would.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:

Elbarto1 , sorry to make you mad. I can go into more detail if you wish but the rating is mainly based on the fact that I think the titled concept failed. This is not based on anything personal. I understand the amount of work that can go into a FanEdit and the feelings that go with a poor critical reception. The rating is simply my refection of the work in hand.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am a fan of Uncanny Antman and his great attitude. I wish I could be more like him.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mollo said:
elbarto1 said:

Elbarto1 , sorry to make you mad. I can go into more detail if you wish but the rating is mainly based on the fact that I think the titled concept failed. This is not based on anything personal. I understand the amount of work that can go into a FanEdit and the feelings that go with a poor critical reception. The rating is simply my refection of the work in hand.

you are completely entitled to your rating and I didnt intend to pick a fight with my short rant (I didnt even know who rated it) but I am entitled to think that a 5 is a shit rating = a 50% is a FAIL in school. its what you get when you show a complete lack of effort and skill - this edit took me 10 months and despite the complete inability to appeal to everyone, I figured the craftsmanship, coupled with the bonus materials and DVD authoring at least accounts for a C-. But then again, it seems you and I rate things on a completely different curve.

I take no offense to your personal views and opinions, I just dont like being told I failed, even if it is in a numerical sentence comprised of a single digit.

I guess I am just a "glass is half empty" type of guy.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think you see this just correctly, Elbarto1. 5 is a shitty rating and means a fail. It's the kind of movies that you don't even bother watching on imdb (if you care for ratings that is).
And, yes, you deserve more for your efforts, especially from a fellow faneditor and academy member. Can't judge for the unknown audience. But I am pretty sure that it's just nice if faneditors treat each other with the utmost possible respect. Just my 2 cents.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
I think you see this just correctly, Elbarto1. 5 is a shitty rating and means a fail. It's the kind of movies that you don't even bother watching on imdb (if you care for ratings that is).
And, yes, you deserve more for your efforts, especially from a fellow faneditor and academy member. Can't judge for the unknown audience. But I am pretty sure that it's just nice if faneditors treat each other with the utmost possible respect. Just my 2 cents.

In all fairness to Mollo, he does rate differently than you and I, there are no subcategories and individual scores (entertainment/editing/extras) averaged into a total so its difficult to see what went wrong and where.

I gather he just rates the main film in a general score.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
I am a fan of Uncanny Antman and his great attitude. I wish I could be more like him.
What brought that on? I'm flattered. :)

elbarto1 said:
I do that too. Whilst it takes a lot of effort and talent to make nice menus and cover art and extras, they aren't what is improtant to me as an audience. Each person brings their own criteria to a rating.

elbarto1 said:
this edit took me 10 months and despite the complete inability to appeal to everyone, I figured the craftsmanship, coupled with the bonus materials and DVD authoring at least accounts for a C-.
Did you do the edit for yourself, or for other people? I mean this as an honest question, not to antagonize. It's a cliché but as long as you do the edit for yourself, then it really doesn't matter how people rate it.

Don't be down, ElBarto. :D

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In all fairness to you: you simply deserve better from a fellow faneditor. And this is my opinion.
Are people entitled to their opinions? Oh yes. But others are also entitled to not like their opinion at all and react accordingly. Good thing is, we are most of all a great community of nice people here. :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
boon23 said:
What brought that on? I'm flattered. :)
I think you are the prime example of this community for an overall positive, constructive and good attitude.
Uncanny Antman said:
elbarto1 said:
I do that too. Whilst it takes a lot of effort and talent to make nice menus and cover art and extras, they aren't what is improtant to me as an audience. Each person brings their own criteria to a rating.
This is true, but let's not forget that we are talking about a fellow faneditor. He probably wants to be rated fairly as well.

Uncanny Antman said:
elbarto1 said:
this edit took me 10 months and despite the complete inability to appeal to everyone, I figured the craftsmanship, coupled with the bonus materials and DVD authoring at least accounts for a C-.
Did you do the edit for yourself, or for other people? I mean this as an honest question, not to antagonize. It's a cliché but as long as you do the edit for yourself, then it really doesn't matter how people rate it.
This is always just partly right. If you keep it to yourself, you can be proud of it for yourself. But as soon as you release it, you hand it out and become vulnerable to criticism. The reactions are part of the reason why a fanedit is released at all. The wish to share something that you created and think can make others have a great time. "Here, mum, I painted a snowman for your birthday present." "Now what exactly did you not understand when I told you I wanted a BLURAY PLAYER?" ;-)

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It really is very subjective to the reviewer as to how much weight he wants to put on different aspects of the fanedit.
Compared to the orginal (better or worse), technical stuff, plot holes, editing choices, expectations, etc...

But I think it starts off with whether I even liked the original.
If I hated the original, it's very unlikely that I'd watch a fanedit of it.

Personally, I don't see how Adywan's SW gets such massive attention.
I like star wars, but I'm not THAT hard core about it.
Besides, if memory serves, Darth Editous' version seems to have the best video quality of all the EP IV's that I've seen.
Perhaps I even enjoyed that more than Adywan's.

But overall, I guess I start with how entertained I was and work from there.
Detracting for niggles and adding for positives.

For example, I probably would have given Azazel an 8 for entertainment, as I enjoyed the original more, but the editing was so good, the menus were amazing, and although it didn't have that extra twist ending that I love, it met expectations as the whole point was to make a straight up thriller. So I gave it a 10.

On the other hand, I probably would have given the Mist a 9 or a 10 based on entertainment but the video quality wasn't great so took off a point or 2.

So what's my point?
Erm... I guess... Kids, don't watch edits of movies that you hate. :eek:

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
This is true, but let's not forget that we are talking about a fellow faneditor. He probably wants to be rated fairly as well.
Absolutely true. I meant all my rambling as more of a 'don't be too worried about it' to ElBarto than anything. I assume Mollo did rate it fairly by his own personal criteria, even if it seems like a low score. But I obviously don't know for sure.

Not that I'm not saying a 5 is awesome, or that I would celebrate it. ;)

boon23 said:
This is always just partly right. If you keep it to yourself, you can be proud of it for yourself. But as soon as you release it, you hand it out and become vulnerable to criticism.
That's the part I agree with...if you don't want to hear any negative reactions, don't release it. If you only want praise, keep it to yourself. (Even family and friends can't be counted on all the time for blind praise. Believe me! :D)

Apologies if it seems like I was tring to start an argument. It was really not my intention.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
no argument. I think we do have a great forum discussion here.

Top Bottom