• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's taken a long time to learn this new trick, but I'm slowly getting the hang of actually using the mini text style editor that pops up when you make a selection in Word, rather than grunting at it in irritation and using the main style editors at the top of the screen... :p

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
There's disc and disk. I thought it was cut and dry that discs were flat and round, while disks are square storage devices. I guess it's not that simple, and either can be used for the flat round thingies. I hate the English language. Here we have two spellings of a word that both do and don't mean the same thing.

Sprinkling something with tiny powdery bits is dusting it.  Cleaning those tiny powdery bits off is dusting it.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a kid, I always thought the R.E.M. lyric to "Man on the Moon" went "If you believe... there's nothing out there to see, nothing to do." And this made sense to kid me, because, compared to the zany other worlds of Star Trek, the cold, monochrome desolation of lunar photographs made it look boring as hell. :p

darth_ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
CatBus said:
jrWHAG42 said:
There's disc and disk. I thought it was cut and dry that discs were flat and round, while disks are square storage devices. I guess it's not that simple, and either can be used for the flat round thingies. I hate the English language. Here we have two spellings of a word that both do and don't mean the same thing.

Sprinkling something with tiny powdery bits is dusting it.  Cleaning those tiny powdery bits off is dusting it.

To divide something in two is to cleave it apart.  To adhere two things together strongly is to cleave them together.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
darth_ender said:
CatBus said:
jrWHAG42 said:

To divide something in two is to cleave it apart.  To adhere two things together strongly is to cleave them together.

If something is flammable, it's likely to burst into flames.  But if something is inflammable, it's likely to burst into flames.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would love someone like HBO to make a live action Kaiju TV show where each episode deals with a specific person, agency or family dealing with the rampaging monster. It could have one season dedicated to the rampage and a second season dealing with the ramifications of the monster attack.

darth_ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
CatBus said:
darth_ender said:
CatBus said:
jrWHAG42 said:

If something is flammable, it's likely to burst into flames.  But if something is inflammable, it's likely to burst into flames.

A sanction is a boycott of something one does not approve of, or a sanction is an approval of something.

A near miss is a "close call," a near hit is a "close call."

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
darth_ender said:
CatBus said:
darth_ender said:
CatBus said:
jrWHAG42 said:

A sanction is a boycott of something one does not approve of, or a sanction is an approval of something.

A near miss is a "close call, a near hit is a "close call."

Oh dang.  This is a throwdown that I'm thoroughly unprepared for.

Oversight means some detail you missed due to carelessness.  Oversight, on the other hand, means the act of paying extra careful scrutiny to the details.

And I've only got one more left.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
CatBus said:

The definition of "inflammable" really is counter-intuitive. It should be changed.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
CatBus said:

The definition of "inflammable" really is counter-intuitive. It should be changed.

That’s a controversial opinion. One that might inflame debate.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I've been sitting on this one, but "strike" means to hit something.  Except in baseball, where it means to try to hit something but miss.

And that's all I got.

darth_ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
CatBus said:
Well, I've been sitting on this one, but "strike" means to hit something.  Except in baseball, where it means to try to hit something but miss.

And that's all I got.

And in bowling  ;)

I admit, I had a little help with the others, but this one I came up with on my own:

To bound, meaning to walk or run with leaps off the ground; to bound, meaning to enclose or restrict.

I'm sure I could look up a few more for fun, but I wanted to try to come up with one on my own.  :)

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
darth_ender said:
CatBus said:

And that's all I got.

And in bowling  ;)

I admit, I had a little help with the others, but this one I came up with on my own:

To bound, meaning to walk or run with leaps off the ground; to bound, meaning to enclose or restrict.

I'm sure I could look up a few more for fun, but I wanted to try to come up with one on my own.  :)

Aloha ;)

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I watched WarGames (the Matthew Broderick film) the other night, and there's this dramatic scene where a woman is shouting "Hold the door! Hold the door!"

That's never going to be the same again, is it?  It's going to be like whenever someone says "Who ya gonna call?"

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it just me, or do these "environmentally friendly" LED light bulbs, that are filled with toxic chemicals requiring special disposal, fail at significantly higher rates than old-school ones? Maybe they handle the wear and tear of turning off and on less well?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started replacing all of the normal incandescent light bulbs in my house with LED bulbs a few years ago. I went through quite a few bulbs in the first year but now I'm not even sure when the last time was that I changed a bulb. I don't think there are any traditional bulbs left in my house.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Is it just me, or do these "environmentally friendly" LED light bulbs, that are filled with toxic chemicals requiring special disposal, fail at significantly higher rates than old-school ones? Maybe they handle the wear and tear of turning off and on less well?

Some factors I can think of explain this.  An LED bulb is only as good as the electronics governing the bulb.  The cheap bulbs (which honestly aren't that cheap, compared to CFL or incandescent) tend to be crap that burns out quick.  If you're spending that much for a bulb, spend a little more and get a good one (yes, brand names are a decent gauge of quality in this case).  Dimmers can also play hell with LED's.  Not all LED's are dimmable, and they don't like all types of dimmers, and while you may have luck mix-and-matching in the short run, you may pay for it with the lifetime of the bulb and awful flicker effects -- you may tolerate this flicker on your Christmas tree, but you won't want it in your kitchen.  Last, enclosed fixtures are death for an LED bulb.  Fixtures must be open -- i.e. have good airflow in and out of the fixture to the rest of the room.  LED's don't make much heat, but they can't tolerate it at all.  So even if your fully enclosed fixture feels much, much cooler than it did with an incandescent, your LED is still roasting itself to death inside.

My general advice is don't just replace the bulb.  Replace entire fixtures with LED-friendly versions, and throw in new switches while you're at it.  Yeah, that's not exactly eco- (or budget-) friendly in the short term.  But those decade-long-plus bulb lifespans you hear about?  That's how to achieve them.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Interesting, thanks; I had no idea about the heat factor. I'm talking about a desk banker's lamp I drape a kerchief over so the shade doesn't blind me, so it probably does get pretty hot. Guess I should go back to an old-fashioned bulb in this case, because my LED ones fail every half-year or so. :)

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Before the pandemic happened i was set to do a stream of concerts at local places. When they all obviously got cancelled I kinda fell off doing music but now I'm gearing up to start doimg streamed concerts until I can do in person shows again. Here's a photo of a very closed and private rehearsal concert I did just for some close friends and family in my home.

116427350_4168078256600204_6852921964722261074_o.jpg

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Before the pandemic happened i was set to do a stream of concerts at local places. When they all obviously got cancelled I kinda fell off doing music but now I'm gearing up to start doimg streamed concerts until I can do in person shows again. Here's a photo of a very closed and private rehearsal concert I did just for some close friends and family in my home.

116427350_4168078256600204_6852921964722261074_o.jpg

We have those same bar stools. :p Can you post video? While we were in lockdown, I participated in the “quarantunes” hashtag on Instagram. I posted a new solo acoustic tunes each week. It was a good way to keep motivated.

Top Bottom