• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A coworker told me she just got a phone alert saying simply “EXPECT A BLACK SKY AT NOON TOMORROW” with no further information. Not a text, one of those like a severe weather or amber alert that makes you click out of before you can do anything again. So, if the world doesn’t end tomorrow, I think I’ll be a little disappointed.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Four days 'til March, and there're still people hereabouts with their Christmas lights up. I don't get it.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Four days 'til March, and there're still people hereabouts with their Christmas lights up. I don't get it.

You don't get lazy people?

I'm not making a judgement btw.  If I was the kind of person that put up Christmas lights, I'd never take them down, because I'd just have to put them up again later.  Same reason I don't shower or wash my clothes.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:

Here's the clencher: are the lights on or off? If they're off, maybe they've forgotten or something, but they're on, that's a whole other level. I mean we just put our Christmas stuff away a few weeks ago because my wife likes the fake tree more than she likes having space to walk around in the living room, so I am also not judging.

But these are the details that matter!

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two people got stuck in the elevator here at the university library tonight. Maintenance was slow to respond as they were preoccupied with a FIRE elsewhere on campus.‬ Pretty normal and nice night.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
I think we can all get on board with you not doing that.

addiesin said:
Duragizer said:

Here's the clencher: are the lights on or off? If they're off, maybe they've forgotten or something, but they're on, that's a whole other level. I mean we just put our Christmas stuff away a few weeks ago because my wife likes the fake tree more than she likes having space to walk around in the living room, so I am also not judging.

But these are the details that matter!

I've got a budding young electrician in the house.   The lights don't ever come down, but the colors do change with the season.  The Easter lights are getting swapped in soon.  It makes him happy, and frankly it is cheerful.  There are worse things for a pre-teen to be preoccupied with.

Also, I live in a fairly slapdash neighborhood where anything goes lawn- or house-decoration-wise, and we're far from the strangest (that award goes to the life-sized white lawn tiger, you see...).  No neighborhood association here!

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The most interesting house I ever lived in was undoubtedly my second. I don't know how old I was when the family moved in, but I attended kindergarten while there. It was a two-storey house, with the stairwell leading upstairs concealed behind a hinged bookcase. It was also a very old house; it had no indoor plumbing, so to bathe and do our dirty business, we had to go out to an adjacent cabin which housed a bathtub and a few toilet stalls; birds had also made nests in holes bored through the exterior walls near the roof.

One of the few happy memories I have of my father was when we were living there. There were woods surrounding the neighbourhood, and one day he and I went for a walk. We found a broken hockey stick and a wicker box during our trek; the latter we took home with us and kept audio cassettes in. We also came across a car wreck wrapped around a tree; I couldn't say how long it had been there, but I'd venture quite a while.

The family lived there a couple years. Then we were forced to move by our landlord, who then demolished the aged property.

I really wish I could revisit that old house. Too bad there isn't a Wayback Machine for physical locations.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried thinking about ideas for an episode 9 edit but all I ended up with was this lousy meme:

image.png

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know where my affinity for the '80s comes from. I lived less than three years in that decade, and my earliest memory dates to 1990, yet the aesthetics of that time still allure me.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 80's are all about attitude.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I don't know where my affinity for the '80s comes from. I lived less than three years in that decade, and my earliest memory dates to 1990, yet the aesthetics of that time still allure me.

It’s Reagan’s fault, the aesthetic sensibility must have just trickled down.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you a bad enough dude to rescue President Ronnie?

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why does Eminem still bitch about his mother when he is 47 years old.

Edit: I still love Eminem.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:

I think it's several things. For one, it was the last major era before computers and the Internet started infiltrating everything, and that makes it intriguing for being so recent, yet so alien. Whereas pretty much anything related to to computers and Internet from the 90s just feels awkward and dated.

For another, much of culture, from melodic and danceable Europop to teen comedies and action flicks, was cheery, colorful and fun. Grunge, gangster rap, violent and gritty films from the likes of Fincher and Tarantino, was all still a few years away. As for Reagan, love him or loathe him and his policies, many feel that he set a generally upbeat and positive tone for the country. Political leaders of all stripes who worked with him found him mostly kind and caring in personal interactions. Many think that this attitude did indeed trickle down to the culture.

Finally, culture was more unified back then. VCRs and widespread home ownership of movies, let alone digital music, extensive cable programming, and anything streaming, didn't yet allow people to live in niches entirely separate from one another. It wasn't the monoculture of the late 50s, with only three broadcast TV networks and barely any minority representation in media, but mainstream art and artists had broader appeal than they do today.

In conclusion, The 80s 4-ever!!!  :p

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
Why does Eminem still bitch about his mother when he is 47 years old.

Edit: I still love Eminem.

Maybe he turned mother's cooling unit back on and she still self-destructed on him.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know where my affinity for the early 2000s comes from.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I don't know where my affinity for the early 2000s comes from.

Conversely, I know exactly where my aversion for the 2000s comes from.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh yeah, @"Possessed", because of that package you sent me, my father keeps calling me Junior.

Top Bottom