• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm something of a moderate neo-Luddite myself. I don't own a smartphone and I don't use social media. I only spend as much time on the Internet as I do because I'm socially isolated and this is my only means of communication with the outside world.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for making this post, I didn't mean anything by it, I was trying to share my own interests.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recommend at least a basic cell phone for safety reasons.  That way you can at least call 911 if you need to.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dunno why I bother with reddit. Almost every interaction on there inevitably devolves into personal attacks and insults. It's such an exhausting website.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points

giphy.gif

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Upon booting up my laptop today, it created a loud, harsh hum. The hum subsided seconds later, but the laptop’s been behaving erratically as of late, so I’m afraid it may be nearing the end of it’s life. And I don’t have a backup computer.

I’m not planning on departing, but if I should vanish into the ether one day soon, that’ll be the reason why.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Upon booting up my laptop today, it created a loud, harsh hum. The hum subsided seconds later, but the laptop’s been behaving erratically as of late, so I’m afraid it may be nearing the end of it’s life. And I don’t have a backup computer.

I’m not planning on departing, but if I should vanish into the ether one day soon, that’ll be the reason why.

I feel your pain. I had a laptop once with a dodgy fan and at the time I couldn't afford to replace it, or fix it. So I plugged it in to an old external monitor and keyboard, balanced it on it's side and aimed an indoor fan at the vents on the back. It kept it cool and somehow working for another year. True story :D .

Also, my desktop/editing PC has gone really weird in the last couple of days. Pretty much everything is super slow, almost to the point of not functioning but no system resources are really being used. e.g. It might take 5-minutes to open an HD movie in VLC but then it plays 100% fine. WTF! After updowngrading from Win7 before Christmas, I'm almost sure it's down to Win10 being a piece of sh*t.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
PSA: The only thing better than a backup, is two backups.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
CatBus said:

You should try coke

YouknowtwobackupsaregreatbutyouknowwhatwouldbeREALLYAWESOME?Tenbackupsbutarrangedinsortofapentagramexceptthat'sreallyTWOpentagramsofbackupsandeachonecouldholdapetabyteexceptwe'dcallitapentabytegetit?isithotinhereicouldusesomewater.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
CatBus said:
Possessed said:
CatBus said:

You should try coke

YouknowtwobackupsaregreatbutyouknowwhatwouldbeREALLYAWESOME?Tenbackupsbutarrangedinsortofapentagramexceptthat'sreallyTWOpentagramsofbackupsandeachonecouldholdapetabyteexceptwe'dcallitapentabytegetit?isithotinhereicouldusesomewater.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
CatBus said:
Possessed said:
CatBus said:

You should try coke

If El Scorpio was REALLY ready, he'd have been wearing a bulletproof vest AND a parachute.

Ray Danger

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CatBus said:
Duragizer said:
CatBus said:
Possessed said:
CatBus said:

You should try coke

If El Scorpio was REALLY ready, he'd have been wearing a bulletproof vest AND a parachute.

Facts.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well damn, wish some of these were still around... :p

721497_v2.jpg

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alert!  You can now FINALLY turn off the auto-preview feature in Netflix, in your account's playback settings.  It may be a sign of the End Times, but at least now the End Times will be more pleasant because of it.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tonight at work—workstudy position at my University’s library, where my current project is to make spreadsheets of the early yearbooks and I sometimes have to do some light research people from said books—I learned about one man’s sad life, so settle in for the story of Rev. Mims Thornbrough “Thorny” Workman.

Thorny was born in Conway, Arkansas in 1895 to Rev. James Workman and Margeret Workman (née Thornbrough). He graduated from Henderson-Brown College (now Henderson State University) where his father was president (and his brother would also become president years later) in 1916.

Now a Methodist minister himself, Rev. Thorny became a professor at Southern Methodist University. He was beloved by students but was a controversial preacher, once accused—though later cleared—of heresy in 1922. Things got worse for Thorny in 1925. On April 5th he gave a talk decrying the “strong-arm, revivalistic” methods of evangelism he was taught (by his father and others). He made no reference to Jesus or the Bible, and his speech had no objection from the congregation. However, SMU president Dr. Charles Selecman heard about this and accused Thorny of denying the divinity of Christ. Despite having not done that and the backing of all his students, Thorny was fired. He taught at other schools including Vanderbilt, and retired to Missouri in 1956.

Thorny died in St. Louis, MO in 1973. In fact, by all accounts he actually died at a funeral home. I’m not sure whether he knew he was dying and was planning his funeral, was attending someone else’s, or through some sad, ironic fate speaking in his capacity as a minister.

Thus was the life of Rev. Mims Thornbrough “Thorny” Workman, a possibly heretical preacher who may actually have fallen over dead while preaching.

Top Bottom