• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We have the new Zaphod Beeblebrox everybody.

met-gala-2019-jared-leto-1-1.jpg

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
91Z2rlR0MzL._SY679_.jpg

While Ebenezer and the Ghost of Christmas Present stare off into the distance, the Ghost of Christmas Past cops a feel, much to Jacob Marley's surprise.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm really thankful for this place gathering the kinds of people you don't see everyday on the internet.  You guys are fascinating individuals.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Czech Republic was robbed!

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want my first psychedelic experience to happen while I'm listening to a Kate Bush album.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Me (months ago): "I really need new glasses."

Me (yesterday, after my glasses break): "Right - now I have an excuse. I'm getting new glasses." 

Me (today): *sellotapes glasses*

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Sellotape" always makes me think of Flight of the Conchords since I had literally never heard the term before I had heard of Flight of the Conchords.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When your housemate has surround tracks on multi-channel stereo and you switching it to the correct sound setting only causes them to view you as an even bigger snob. 

"Does it really make a difference?" They ask.

YES. IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
When your housemate has surround tracks on multi-channel stereo and you switching it to the correct sound setting only causes them to view you as an even bigger snob. 

"Does it really make a difference?" They ask.

YES. IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

If you're referring to a Dolby surround setting (as in the old fashioned 2.0 matrixed surround) and they have it set on all channel stereo instead of pro logic or whatever variant their receiver uses i wholeheartedly agree.  Honestly i think this format of surround is highly underrated.  To me it sounds just as good as modern surround formats but at less than half the bitrate,  or you can even matrix down a dts track to a 2.0 track with a high bitrate normally used for 5.1 files and get dts comparable sound quality on systems that don't support it.

Yes,  it's less discrete.  But honestly... so what.  I don't watch the movie pressing my ears to each individual speaker to make sure there's no bleeding.

(Although i am glad discrete mixes are included on home video since it makes editing way easier,  but I will ALWAYS publish in matrixed 2.0 with a high bitrate)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm talking about actual surround, which most things seem to be in these days anyway (not that that's always the best option, necessarily). 

But honestly, they just turn it on and watch it whatever it's set to, and I can't believe they can't tell the difference between different settings. As in, they literally don't seem to notice that there's a difference between stereo spread everywhere, and surround, where there are significantly different things going on in different speakers. Plus, some of the settings on the amp (like virtual) just sound awful. 

Personally, I find it weird having dialogue coming out of all speakers, especially when it's coming from behind. I also have a keen ear, and having that slight change in quality when spreading a track across all speakers when it's designed for two grates on me. So my preference is to keep it in traditional stereo. 

I think the only time I use multichannel is when I'm watching YouTube, or sometimes when I'm streaming music (depending on what it is). I typically opt for playing a CD on direct mode where possible though. 

I imagine how well the sound is spread will vary though depending on your reciever. The quality of speakers would also likely play a part in how noticeable minor changes are.

Top Bottom