• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Classic Doctor Who stories could be a lot better if the padding were trimmed down.  There is a hell of a lot of padding.  It makes it very difficult to appreciate.  Or maybe I was just watching something that wasn't very good (Tom Baker's last season).

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But at least they still had a man as a doctor. That's important right? 

*this was a joke about people who were upset at the doctor being made a woman.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Classic Doctor Who stories could be a lot better if the padding were trimmed down.  There is a hell of a lot of padding.  It makes it very difficult to appreciate.  Or maybe I was just watching something that wasn't very good (Tom Baker's last season).

Agree there's some padding, but there's also pacing.  Older shows in general simply spent more time on atmosperic/transition/establishing scenes, featured natural gaps in dialogue, etc.  Some of the new Doctor Who episodes are paced so breathlessly that they're difficult to watch.  It's not a story, it's a sprint.  I even like some of the ridiculously-paced new episodes, but wouldn't have minded if the episode was three times as long to feel more natural.

Anyway, any direct comparison of the two is going to highlight this difference.  You need a palate cleanser in between.  A nice slow-burn seventies heist movie or somesuch would do.  But yeah, there's still some padding even after adjusting for the pacing.  It just won't seem as bad when you're already in the seventies mindset.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
John Singleton- ,Boyz In The Hood director suffers a stroke.
john-sinlgeton-stroke

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
CatBus said:
Handman said:

Agree there's some padding, but there's also pacing.  Older shows in general simply spent more time on atmosperic/transition/establishing scenes, featured natural gaps in dialogue, etc.  Some of the new Doctor Who episodes are paced so breathlessly that they're difficult to watch.  It's not a story, it's a sprint.  I even like some of the ridiculously-paced new episodes, but wouldn't have minded if the episode was three times as long to feel more natural.

Anyway, any direct comparison of the two is going to highlight this difference.  You need a palate cleanser in between.  A nice slow-burn seventies heist movie or somesuch would do.  But yeah, there's still some padding even after adjusting for the pacing.  It just won't seem as bad when you're already in the seventies mindset.

I feel like I'm always in a seventies mindset :p.  There exist trimmed down versions of The Ark in Space and Genesis of the Daleks (the latter was trimmed down in the 70s, so there you go) and those are my preferred ways to watch those stories.  Here's an example of some nonsense padding in Logopolis: The TARDIS shrinks, and everybody is all scared, and nobody really does anything and it doesn't set a mood and it isn't funny, but 20 minutes later the TARDIS is no longer shrunk and nothing else has happened.  It can get kind of ridiculous. 

I agree with you about the new show being incredibly fast paced and incomprehensible, that was one of my main criticisms of the Moffat era.  There is a happy balance, and when you find it, you get true gems from the show.  I found myself enjoying Peter Davison's first season a lot more than Tom's last, and this may have been part of the reason why.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you think even for a second that I'm not getting Chinese food after work tonight... well you're just crazy. I've gotten really good at making my own stir fry dishes,  but nothing beats the real thing.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
If you think even for a second that I'm not getting Chinese food after work tonight... well you're just crazy. I've gotten really good at making my own stir fry dishes,  but nothing beats the real thing.

Get me a Salt & Chilli Chicken, Ham Fried Rice and Mushroom Chow Mein while you're there. I'll give you the money later.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ham fried rice? You can't just get pork like a human?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
You can't just get pork like a human?

Does human taste like pork then?

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:

Good, 'cause you were dangerously close to committing cultural appropriation.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So umm... What are the images on the left side of thread names for? How come some get a turd, some get a ribbon and some get a turd and a ribbon? 

Screenshot-2019-04-22-20-36-18-325.jpg

I'm assuming white means "pure" - untouched, blue means well read, ribbon means "hot" - but it's the turd combos I can't work out (assuming it is a turd).

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
url]

edit: lol i've been trying to get the image to be posted correctly but i just suck too much.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I crossed paths with a strange cat today. I meowed to them in greeting, and they meowed back in response.

I am the Crazy Cat Lord.

5smShDCN_400x400.jpeg

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I crossed paths with a strange cat today. I meowed to them in greeting, and they meowed back in response.

I am the Crazy Cat Lord.

5smShDCN_400x400.jpeg

Most people just call that "being a Furry" these days.

Top Bottom