• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But where is here?  Canada?

Oh wait we're not Duragizer.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just read through a bunch of this thread. Its all over the place. Its in and out and out and in and back again. My head hurts. Just a few more posts. Wait...

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to move to Rochester New York and find a way into some film preservation job.

dahmage

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Posting because I don't want to take out the trash.

Bah

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the autobiographical screenplay I'm drafting, the main character (who is me) is unnamed.  I'm doing this to further express the theme of isolation, and the exploration/creation of personal identity.

But it seems pretentious and dumb when I do it.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Isn't Fight Club the most famous example of an unnamed protagonist?

As I typed this, I clicked on the link and realized it was Hitchcock. I suppose that might be more famous then. Not to mention  I suppose my example isn't nameless for the themes of isolation, and I can't speak for the other. Handman wins. 

But anyways, I doubt it sounds pretentious and dumb, and even if it does, it doesn't matter, write the story that you want to tell.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Handman wins. 

giphy.gif

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
In the autobiographical screenplay I'm drafting, the main character (who is me) is unnamed.  I'm doing this to further express the theme of isolation, and the exploration/creation of personal identity.

Stylistically, anything unusual draws attention to itself.  The question is only if it's the sort of attention you want.

Aside from the other examples given so far, Ragtime used generic "Mother" and "Father" names for characters to emphasize the idealized homogeneous nuclear family.  That worked okay because the entire novel was engaged in wacky experiments with convention, and that was just another one on the pile.  Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas was written in second person, and that was very unsettling throughout the entire book, but again being forced out of your comfort zone may have been the point.  I remember Jasmine did a cool thing with dissociative states where a character who was in shock after a bombing described another woman screaming at first responders in a murderous tirade, but careful reading indicates it was herself -- the style choice telling you that the attack broke her mentally.

For a book, not naming the main character may not actually be that noticeable most of the time if written in first person, would be very noticeable in third person, and would be completely lost in the freakshow that is second person.  For a play, I'd say you're somewhere between first and third.

I think your worries about seeming pretentious are overblown.  Also, it's a screenplay -- you're already soaking in it!  In short, I think using unusual stylistic choices to create mood/atmosphere is completely legit.  Your only risk is that an author ultimately has no control over how their audience interprets their work.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
CatBus said:
suspiciouscoffee said:

I think your worries about seeming pretentious are overblown.  Also, it's a screenplay -- you're already soaking in it!

I'm soaking in pretentiousness?

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
CatBus said:
suspiciouscoffee said:

I think your worries about seeming pretentious are overblown.  Also, it's a screenplay -- you're already soaking in it!

I'm soaking in pretentiousness?

Screenplays have a reputation I was making light of.  You don't.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh he's got a reputation.  Is it a good one?  Stay tuned to find out.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've changed my avatar from Spock to the 12th Doctor.  I don't think I've ever been anything but Spock for, like, 5 years now, between here and OT.  But it was time for a change, I was starting to really not like that drawing.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spock has better quotes.  But you're right, that was an oversight.

Top Bottom